Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2022, 17:19   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51
Raw Water Pump Thought

Replacing the water pump">raw water pump on my perkins 6.354- took the old one out and replaced with new- rebuilt the old one to have a spare- ( only 3 of the 12 vanes in the impeller were intact- glad we made it to the yard ). Anyway as i was putting it back in i got the idea to put another sea strainer on the output side of the pump before it goes into the oil cooler- that way iof pump vanes started to come apart, they would never make it anywhere nasty- To do thois is a little pricey as a large strainer that i can put 1 1/8 inch hose barbs on is expensive- i was going to use a smaller strainer and save about 1/2 but i am worried that it will neck the flow of cooling water down too much- any thoughts? good idea/bad idea? one of my friends said in effect - why add complication just change the darn impeller out every year- something to be said for that as well i suppose.......
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 21:10   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Raw Water Pump Thought

If you are of the DIY mind set, you could likely whip up a satisfactory coarse strainer out of PVC plumbing bits. It's just cold sea water involved and at pretty low pressure. Likely could be done for small bucks.

And BTW, I reckon such a strainer is a damn good idea!

Jim
Old 20-03-2022, 21:43   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I wouldn't use a smaller strainer. Someday at full power you'll overheat. Maybe sooner.
On ebay you can buy a Seaflow 1.25 plastic strainer for about $40
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2022, 22:16   #4

Look for a “wye strainer” of same diameter as your pump outlet piping, the irrigation iaisle at Lowe’s has them.
This will not insure that loose impeller bits will not haunt you.
The impeller debris often are squeezed out on the INTAKE side of the pump, where they lay in a low spot until the engine is revved up, then they’ll stop in front of the pumps intake grating, blocking flow.
Best way to avoid shredding impeller is to install a new one every year.
kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 11:16   #5

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Used one for years. Caught some vanes even from relatively new impellors. Particularly useful on our old Volvo 2003T which had a heat exchanger that did NOT have an easy-to-remove end cap. No issues with reduced flow. I used a proper Grayco that matched the tubing diameter, and located it in an easy-to-reach location.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 17:22   #6

Boat: Island Packet 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madehn View Post
. . .one of my friends said in effect - why add complication just change the darn impeller out every year- something to be said for that as well i suppose.......
Your friend is wise.
CDR Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 18:28   #7

Boat: Beneteau 331

I put a Jabsco filter between my pump and my vacuum break. It is a little fine but has worked fine for twelve years on my Volvo md2030. 2009 lost one blade, 2010 lost two blades. Then went looking for them. Found two in the vacuum break. Didn't find the third one, took apart the heat exchanger not there. Must have ground up and passed through. The filter has never clogged, it is easy to get to and see. If I ever overheat I will look here first. Last year it did catch a broken blade. Saved me the effort of taking apart the heat exchanger. The filter has caught occasional bits of grass.

I think this is a very good idea.
FULLCIRCLE331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 10:51   #8

I would use a bronze basket strainer. Scot Ardox 0-1420. Clear bolt-down top, O-ring seal, 1.5" threaded input, square 1.5" pipe flange output, plastic basket. 8 X 8 X 10 Tall, 4 ea 6 MM hole bottom mount. Holds about 2 liters. Great piece of hardware on any vessel.

Do you really want to cut corners here?
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, raw water, raw water pump, water, water pump