Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2015, 12:19   #1

Raw water pump repair and issues.

Hi!
Just lowered my boat in the water for some trials and upon starting i had no flow of sea water coming from the pump (jabsco type, neoprene impeller, pulley drive). The pump was dismantled and a new cam fabricated according to original specifications. Turns out that after repair... the spray of water from the aft is quite strong, spraying at about 3 meters regularly and sometimes sending some drops at 6 meters distance. Impressive but not practical.
Exhaust system is wet type. The gases and water flow into the muffler and then directly into the exhaust pipe at the aft, with no goosnecks or other fittings.
How do you suggest i should deal with the problem? Try to install some water trap/goosneck or just simply direct the flow of water a bit downwards from the aft pipe?

Smooth sailing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150916_175033.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	109168  
SorinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 19:52   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Raw water pump repair and issues.

You only need enough water going out the exhaust to cool and muffle. Many engines divert about 1/2 the water directly over the side. My mains do this and also send some of the water to behind the shaft seal (to force lubricate the stern bearing).
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 20:21   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

You made your own cam! Very cool, but I suspect it may be a little thick. If I'm right, your impeller will have a shorter than normal life.
Old 20-09-2015, 01:12   #4

Thick or not, the cam was made to spec with a new Jabsco pump for reference. I am already starting to prepare an emergency repair kit for the engine so i will have a spare impeller in stand-by all the time.
My system is set up to send part of the water to the shaft seal so not all the water is going to the exhaust side. I will check exactly how much water is going there by removing the hose and filling a 5l bottle... maybe there is not enough flow.
SorinCT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, raw water, raw water pump