Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2019, 17:37   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Raw water impeller stuck. Open to suggestions.

There is a securing bolt that is quite clear if you blow that photo up.
Looks like a patch job to me.

You might be looking at a rebuild to replace that shaft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled 1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	204533  
Old 08-12-2019, 04:59   #17

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd002e View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions. I had limited access to tools and ended up doing this to get it out:

- penentrant
- tap tap
- flat head screwdriver driven directly into the bronze inner bushing of impeller at 180 degree marks anout 1/4”
- two needle nose pliers garbbing at opposite rubber arms
- slow and steady yanks

It came out after about an hour of frustrated staring. I may just invest in an impeller puller!

The water pump is leaking from behind it. I will have to take it out tomorrow and see what I can do to fix. Anyone have done this on a volvo penta MD2002 motor? I cant seem to find any obvious bolts and the shop manual is pretty useless.

Consider the rebuild kit which includes a new shaft along with seals etc./ Len
Volvo Penta Schematics - Marine Parts Express

Remove the pump & plastic gear from engine. Follow the instructions carefully on pg 15 (13) of this pdf. You will need to use a shop press.

https://avdhoeff.home.xs4all.nl/zeil...hop-Manual.pdf

I agree that having a rebuilt/used pump aboard is a good plan.They are often available used on ebay.com. Make sure you order parts for the 4 bolt cover pump used on your engine. The 6bolt cover model is for the turbo 2003T.

Cheers/ Len

Suggest you replace the 2 rubber seals on the water pipe also (418411?) & buy some spares.They are cheap & fit various places on this engine that tend to leak if disturbed.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:13   #18

Quote:
How do I take it out? Fins are cracked and it needs to go. I cant seem to move it no matter what I tried. Attachment 204507
two screwdrivers diagonally to each other and gently flip it out. Put a piece of fabric underneath to avoid damaging the steel in the pump itself.
Canarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 05:19   #19

Boat: Morgan, OI, 33'

Leaking out the back of the pump indicates the seal has failed. They are available for about $10 but tricky to get all the plastic spacers/washers etc out. Draw diagram &/or take close up photos & notes as to sequence of disassembly.
There are only a few manufacturers of bearings (one of the bearings in my pump is also the transmission input shaft bearing for a Chevrolet, & both pump bearings are available at auto parts stores). They are listed by size of outer diam/thickness/shaft size & are much less expensive ($6) than from pump manufacturers.

To install the impellor coat vanes tips with silicone & insert into a hose clamp that has been adjusted to about 1/4" - 1/2" larger than the bore opening. Close clamp down to bore size & slide impellor down into the bore lining up the drive pin with the slot in the end of the shaft.

Bearings can be pressed out/in of the case with the help of proper size sockets and a vise. Never press on the inner bearing race.

If there is a drive belt it doesn't have to be tight. The power requ'd to drive the impellor is small.
Definitely secure a new complete pump for spares.
Disailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 05:27   #20

Boat: Morgan, OI, 33'

silicone GREASE (SuperLube)
Disailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 05:16   #21

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
It came out after about an hour of frustrated staring. I may just invest in an impeller puller!

The water pump is leaking from behind it. I will have to take it out tomorrow and see what I can do to fix. Anyone have done this on a volvo penta MD2002 motor? I cant seem to find any obvious bolts and the shop manual is pretty useless.

You'll need an impeller puller in future anyway. Maybe select a puller after you've replaced the pump, if that turns out to be necessary.

-Chris

Tags
raw water, water