Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2017, 13:00   #16

Boat: Challenger 32 1974
Re: Raw Water Flow Reduced After Impeller Change

The one that fooled me was when re-assembling the pump I put a wafer thin gasket (there wasn't one before) and that killed the water circulation!!
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howler View Post
Hello, I just changed the impeller and gasket in the water pump">raw water pump on our Yanmar 3GM30F. Before the service the raw water flow was great in terms of volume and frequency. After the service, it decreased to a trickle with lower frequency. I read Charlie's post on raw water flow, but am posting separately because there's such a clear "before and after" leading to doubt there are blockages upstream or downstream of the pump area.

The impeller is new and has self-adjusting blades. The belt driving the pump is properly tensioned and turning at normal speed.

Any ideas what I might have done wrong during the change leading to this reduction in flow?

A friend suggested that the system is picking up air. Any suggestions on how to test that hypothesis?

For now I plan to repeat the steps taken to see if anything turns up but I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 13:16   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Summary .........

Look around the impeller cover plate .... any leakage ? this would suck air.

As someone said, check that your woodruff key is fitted (unless it's a splined shaft)

As someone else said, ensure that the rubber vane assembly is securely bonded to the impeller bushing. If it's been sitting on the shelf along time, that bonding could fail.

Take the cover off, turn over the engine briefly and see that the impeller is turning as it should.

Disconnect the input hose from the water pump, water should freely flow out unless the pump is above the waterline. If this is the case, loosen the top from the strainer, let it fill with water, tighten down and try again.

Disconnect the output hose from the pump, briefly run the engine and see if water comes out that hose.
Old 23-10-2017, 13:30   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Something in older engine manuals is the recommendation to coat the inside housing, shaft and end plate with a finger full of waterproof grease. The grease helps suction for the first use and keeps impeller ends from being worn away in dry startups.
I've been using this system since the 60s and normally change my impellers at 5 years. I can't remember ever having one come apart, but I am getting old.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 14:20   #19

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

It sounds to me as though the vanes on the impellor were facing the wrong direction when you replaced the imopellor. This means they are probably irreparably damaged and you will need to replace it again--this time with the vanes trailing the direction of rotation.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 14:27   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
It sounds to me as though the vanes on the impellor were facing the wrong direction when you replaced the imopellor. This means they are probably irreparably damaged and you will need to replace it again--this time with the vanes trailing the direction of rotation.
An impeller in good condition will just auto-correct.
Old 23-10-2017, 14:27   #21

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post

That doesn’t happen. The vanes can go either direction, and do when the engine “rocks” at shutdown.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 19:42   #22

You forgot to open the sea cock.
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 21:55   #23

Boat: Amel 50

Thanks for the additional posts. The impeller is bi-directional (that blades adapt to the direction the pump is turned). The seacock was definitely reopened. I did replace the thin gasket after carefully scraping the old one off with a razor blade (it had become encrusted on the cover plate).

Will check for the many other hypotheses today and report back.
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 04:41   #24

Well, I came back to the boat today and here’s the epilogue. The answer is raw water gremlins! Everything worked fine after sitting for a few days. I can’t explain it other than maybe the new gasket “seasoned in” and produced a tighter seal. I’m very grateful for all the posts and learned many useful things for future troubleshooting.
Old 24-10-2017, 05:07   #25

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
I agree it sounds like air from the pump not priming correctly. I'd replace the gasket again if you have a spare. It only takes a tiny air leak to make a pump act like this - easily caused by a tiny flaw in a new gasket.

Did the impeller you took out have all of its rubber vanes? If not, one or more may have lodged in the heat exchanger which can reduce flow. If there were any vanes missing, you have to open up the end of the heat exchanger closest to the pump and fish them out. On some engines you can just take the hose off and use long tweezers.
Remove one end of thee hose from the hull valve and blow out the entire system. OR you can remove hoses around the system in stages. It may be a clog in the heat exchanger.
When you get back to the boat, see if there is any sign of SW leakage on the pump.
Old 25-10-2017, 00:49   #26

Well, I came back to the boat today and here’s the epilogue. The answer is raw water gremlins! Everything worked fine after sitting for a few days. I can’t explain it other than maybe the new gasket “seasoned in” and produced a tighter sea (see Bill's post above). I’m very grateful for all the posts and learned many useful things for future troubleshooting, which I'm sure will be needed because I don't believe in gremlins .
Old 25-10-2017, 13:21   #27

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howler View Post
Well, I came back to the boat today and here’s the epilogue. The answer is raw water gremlins! Everything worked fine after sitting for a few days. I can’t explain it other than maybe the new gasket “seasoned in” and produced a tighter sea (see Bill's post above). I’m very grateful for all the posts and learned many useful things for future troubleshooting, which I'm sure will be needed because I don't believe in gremlins .
Had you torqued the bolts tight before you left? No signs of saltwater leakage?

Next time you remove the end of the pump, check it for flatness in many directions with a flat edge.

Watch the pump for signs of saltwater leakage. Most pumps you can turn the end plate over and it will work fine.

Some times the magic happens when we are not looking.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:18   #28

Boat: Sea Ray 270

Water coolant update. Finally found the problem. The heat exchanger had clogged up with scale, even though I had just had it cleaned and pressure tested at a radiator shop. This is after changing the thermostat, impeller, and all the hoses. We figured, well, the only thing e haven't checked is the heat exchanger so we pulled it off. And found this...

Pulled the heat exchanger out, had it cleaned, then descaled it again and also the engine. Here is a picture of my home made descaling circulation pump.

Put everything back together and burped the engine.Everything runs great!
jackheape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling system, impeller, pump, raw water, water