Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2020, 10:05   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 27 - 1978
Raw Water Anti Siphon Vented Loop

What are people's thoughts about anti-siphon valves on the raw water system of a diesel engine? The exhaust of my boat is halfway up the transom, so I do not believe it is possible to siphon water into my boat.

In addition, I don't want to start this debate, but it concerns opening and closing the raw water seacock. If the engine seacock is open, will it flood the engine with raw water, or will it be held back by the height of the mixing elbow which is above the waterline, and would an anti-siphon valve solve this problem or provide better peace of mind?
Old 09-08-2020, 10:38   #2

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Raw Water Anti Siphon Vented Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Grant View Post
What are people's thoughts about anti-siphon valves on the raw water system of a diesel engine? The exhaust of my boat is halfway up the transom, so I do not believe it is possible to siphon water into my boat.

In addition, I don't want to start this debate, but it concerns opening and closing the raw water seacock. If the engine seacock is open, will it flood the engine with raw water, or will it be held back by the height of the mixing elbow which is above the waterline, and would an anti-siphon valve solve this problem or provide better peace of mind?
The issue is not seawater syphoning in from the exhaust outlet at the transom.

The problem is that raw water in the cooling system can run from the heat exchanger outlet into the mixing elbow (if that is below the water line). Then the exhaust system fills up until the water level backs up into the exhaust manifold and then in to any open exhaust valve, and into the cylinder. This can occur if the top of engine is below the waterline. Closing the seacock prevents this. The other thing which saves the engine is that the exhaust pressure when the engine is running blows water out the exhaust and prevents it from filling the exhaust manifold.

The anti-syphon break is installed between the heat exchanger outlet and the exhaust mixing elbow. Often all that is needed is a long loop in the hose with a "T" at the highest point opening into some draining point in the boat (galley sink or cockpit drain, for example). When the engine is running a small amount of water is ejected out the "T" but when the engine is turned off air enters that "T" and prevents raw water from being syphoned over the loop and into the exhaust system. For this reason an electric raw water pump which runs when the engine is not operating is dangerous, because it can fill the exhaust system.

Now, if you have a exhaust outlet below the waterline it could be possible for seawater to syphon back to the engine through the exhaust hose, so it is a good idea to have a high loop in the exhaust hose, and use a large hose, so that raw water runs out of the hose and the syphoning effect cannot work.

Finally, there is some concern that a following sea will strike the exhaust outlet and force water backwards into the engine, running or not. Some owners install a valve in the exhaust hose to prevent that while the engine is not running, however it cannot be closed when the engine is operating. I have this valve but have never closed it. My exhaust outlet is actually very close to the water's surface at the transom, but that problem has just never occurred.

A flap over the exhaust outlet could prevent a wave from entering without restricting the escape of exhaust water and gases.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:43   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

The break breaks the intake water, not the exhaust water.

All boats I have sailed on had one.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:51   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 27 - 1978

So if the mixing elbow intake is above the waterline by 6 inches a vented loop is not necessary?
Old 09-08-2020, 11:18   #5

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Hi. There are two ways to drown the engine or generator. First, exhaust.
Power yachts often have issues with following seas. There is an exhaust builder in Miami who has some excellent pages on the subject. Since you have a smaller engine, you might consider a water / exhaust gas separator. Add a drain valve to your water lift muffler so cranking your engine will not fill it too much.
I’m tired of going into the engine room to open and close my raw water valve so I’m adding a motorized full flow valve with auto off and a light and switch next to my generator start panel. Hope you are not this old and a bit more nimble. A valve and a wood reminder stick on your engine key will work fine.
Happy trails.
Mark a hobbling manatee
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:53   #6

Quote:
So if the mixing elbow intake is above the waterline by 6 inches a vented loop is not necessary?
No, what matters is the height of the injection point, (water hose going into the mixing elbow). If that injection point is below the waterline the raw water in the heat exchanger will flood the exhaust system unless a syphon break is present. It may syphon over quite high loops (including exhaust mixing elbows) and into the exhaust manifold.

If any portion of the exhaust manifold is below the waterline, even with a higher mixing elbow, a wave or heeling may allow the mixing elbow to fill and then syphoning can occur there also. The syphon break in the hose prior to the injection point prevents the exhaust system from filling.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:05   #7

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Depends on wave height as well as how much heel or stern squat occurs.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 12:21   #8

Water does come in from the exhaust. Not uncommon at all. I had one boat it happened because the boat was sitting at an outside dock that got some wind chop action on the stern. Evidently it pumped water into the rear cylinder one splash at the exhaust outlet at a time, eventually filling the exhaust muffler and hose until it reached that cylinder.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:49   #9

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

Doesn't your raw water pump's impellers prevent siphoning thru your raw water sea-cock?
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:01   #10

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

As a safety measure to protect your engine, why wouldn't you put in a siphon break? There was mention of not needing one because the mixing elbow is 6" above the water line. Is that true if you're heeled over? Perkins engines were notorious for back siphoning. Mine did it twice at the dock.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:26   #11

Diagram might help
Attached Images

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 11:09   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrimshaw4 View Post
Doesn't your raw water pump's impellers prevent siphoning thru your raw water sea-cock?
Apparently they generally do. But it only takes that one time. Strangely, most of my boats never had the siphon break. The only boat I had an issue with had a siphon break , but it was an exhaust ingress issue.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 14:12   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrimshaw4 View Post
Not generally, the impellor, when stopped, will permit water to flow past the blades. This is not syphoning. The raw water pump is often below water level and the water flows freely past the impellor.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:04   #14

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:

Strictly speaking, yes, but what's the resistance to spending a few bucks and a couple hours work to protect your engine from a possibility of flooding, no matter how remote?

Exhaust elbow only six inches above waterline would not make me feel comfortable about not having a vented loop.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:42   #15

Boat: X442

Checking the proper operation of the anti syphon valve yearly is thus to be recommended (extremely simple, it's just a spring loaded device allowing air into the system when the pressure inside drops). The small valve can get stuck in place leading to problems.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raw water, water