Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2016, 09:13   #1

Boat: 50 Bene
Racor Snapp?

Hey folks, kicking around the idea of replacing our older Racor 500's with something easier to service. Anyone have any first hand experience with these. They appear to be pretty easy to service and quite affordable too! Thoughts?

Thanks again
Will
Old 23-10-2016, 09:20   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Racor Snapp?

I bet I can change a cartridge faster than you can remove and reinstall both hoses. What do they cost, and how available are they?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 09:39   #3

The Racorstore has em for $43 usd. We can change our cartridges super easy but draining and cleaning the bowl is pain in the a$$, and we drain and clean the bowls on both each time we change out the cartridges. The Snapp comes with quick connect fittings so it appears to be pretty simple and strait forward to disconnect and reconnect.
Old 23-10-2016, 11:00   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper4730 View Post
We can change our cartridges super easy but draining and cleaning the bowl is pain in the a$$, and we drain and clean the bowls on both each time we change out the cartridges.
The Snapp looks OK on paper and I've been thinking about using one as a fuel/water separator for our dinghy...

But FWIW, draining the 500 ought to be very easy. If you don't have one, they sell a brass valve replacement (RK 19492) for the original drain nut, or their previous synthetic quick-drain fitting... and you can either catch the drippings directly, or make up a drain hose to temporarily screw into the bottom of the valve (temporarily in place of the safety nut). Piece o' cake.

Unless you're already using that and it's still difficult for some other reason.

-Chris
Old 23-10-2016, 11:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
The Snapp looks OK on paper and I've been thinking about using one as a fuel/water separator for our dinghy...

But FWIW, draining the 500 ought to be very easy. If you don't have one, they sell a brass valve replacement (RK 19492) for the original drain nut, or their previous synthetic quick-drain fitting... and you can either catch the drippings directly, or make up a drain hose to temporarily screw into the bottom of the valve (temporarily in place of the safety nut). Piece o' cake.

Unless you're already using that and it's still difficult for some other reason.

-Chris
Therein lies the problem. The placement of our filters is in a pretty tight area with very little room underneath the bowls. We have tried lots of different techniques but usually resort to squeezing a gallon ziploc freezer bag under the bowl and draining into that. Still a pain and still manage to spill a bit as it's hard to pull the bag back out. We are in Colorado but I'll see if I have some pics of the area. Maybe yall might have some ideas on making it easier. Or maybe just change the location.
Clipper4730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 11:40   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If there is no water or dirt, why drain it?
I'd relocate it so it's easy to change, I learned that lesson the hard way on my generator. But relocating is easy
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 12:41   #7

Boat: Allied 39

Not sure what the new ABYC regs are on fuel filters. But our Racor is at least 30 years old and has a drain spigot on the bottom. We just attach a hose to it and then twist so the old fuel goes into a container.

I think the most important upgrade you can make on the Racor is to add a vacuum gauge. We went from changing the filter every time we saw dirt in the bowl to ONLY changing the filter when the vacuum shows increased We just changed the filter yesterday and it was more than 6 years old. Since we departed in 2005 this is the second time we have changed the filter. The first was when we put a new engine in 6 years ago.

Clean tanks to start, we pre filter every drop before it goes in the tank, keep the tank topped up and add biobor, etc each time we add fuel. BUT our tank only holds 30 gallons which makes things easier.

Good luck

Chuck
Jacaranda
Tahiti
Old 23-10-2016, 16:30   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

Just posted this issue on another thread; They may not be ABYC compliant for installation in engine rooms/compartments as they don't have a heat shield. Between the two older styles, only those with a blue label are to be used in engine compartments. If it's not in your engine room then nevermind.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 21:20   #9

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Just posted this issue on another thread; They may not be ABYC compliant for installation in engine rooms/compartments as they don't have a heat shield. Between the two older styles, only those with a blue label are to be used in engine compartments. If it's not in your engine room then nevermind.

Thanks for the info. The rules have evolved since I installed it 30 years ago.
Old 24-10-2016, 03:48   #10

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper4730 View Post
Therein lies the problem. The placement of our filters is in a pretty tight area with very little room underneath the bowls. We have tried lots of different techniques but usually resort to squeezing a gallon ziploc freezer bag under the bowl and draining into that. Still a pain and still manage to spill a bit as it's hard to pull the bag back out. We are in Colorado but I'll see if I have some pics of the area. Maybe yall might have some ideas on making it easier. Or maybe just change the location.

Yep, pics might help, but did you look up that Racor drain valve? If so, is there clearance for that to be installed? If so, when you're doing service, temporarily replacing the safety nut with a fitting that has a hose attached would maybe be easy... and you could lead the hose, of whatever length, to wherever you like.

-Chris

Tags
racor