Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2011, 18:12   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Racor Fuel Polisher

I read a story in Passagemaker a few years back where a guy took on a load of fuel in Morocco and he was using 2 micron filters. He had to change them a number of times on the trip across the Atlantic. Turns out his fuel polishing filter had a hole in it and just kept recycling the crud until it hit the 2 micron before his on engine filter. He remarked something to the effect that changing the filters in the 125 deg. F engine room was no picnic. I think it was still better to have to change filters a number of times than have his on engine filter plug up.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 20:53   #62

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

I was going to use this Reverso GP-311-12 Fuel Transfer Pump. 120 GPH 8 Amps.

http://reversopumps.com/pumps/diesel...311-light-duty

Part of my issue is that I keep plugging up the fuel pick up tube. I am going to replace my 1/4" fuel pickups with 3/8" pickups. Anyone know a good way to do this in an aluminum tank without welding in new bungs?
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 23:13   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Can't remember but it is a Carter 12V 72GPH pump

Higher than I would like but the system is designed to run when the motor does and can run independently. I think it draws about 3A but can check today when I go sailing later.

Pretty noisy but with the motor running you can't hear it. The Walbro pumps are quieter but finding one in high flow was proving difficult..

I used 3/8" hose and measured the flow into a jerry can and can certainly get my 72GPH, easily. 8mm should be fine.

Different needs for different things. Low flow is great for water removal but water has never been an issue for me. I wanted fuel cleaning and high turnover the Racor engineers I spoke with, both of them, think highly of high turnover for keeping the tank clean, not just the fuel..

I wanted the return to be able to blast up sediment and keep the fuel moving and any particualte in suspension so it gets moved across the filter. The supply tube is also 1/8" off the dead bottom of the lowest point in the tank so that any sediment is captured. I designed the new fuel tank specifically around keeping it clean. Water in my fuel is a non issue. if it is my Racor 500 primary for the engine takes care of the "low flow" side to capture and remove any water.
Thanks for the information Maine Sail. You always document your projects so well. Its a great help for others trying to do a similar job.
I must remember to use the camera a bit more.
I think my fuel pump is on its last legs, but its nice to turn on the fuel polishing when the solar system has dropped into regulation. That gives free polishing, but it needs something that is quiet so I think I will look at the Walbro pumps as you suggested even though the flow rate is lower.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 15:38   #64

I need some help with a malfunctioning Racor FPM 050.

The unit shuts off, pauses for some seconds, then comes on for a few seconds, then shuts off again.

I returned the unit to Racor and they sent it back saying nothing was wrong.

I measured flow from the return side of the unit and got 100 ml/min or 1.56 gals/hr. I measured this flow with the return hose to atmosphere, that is, with no resistence. This measurement was 22 inches above the FPM 050.

The top of my fuel tank is 36 above the FPM 050. I suspect that the Racor unit does not have the strength (not enought psi) to push that high. The people at Racor will not answer specific questions in my emails.

Thanks, Roger S/V Hanoah
Sharki127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 15:45   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As far as I'm concerned that Racor unit will never work to properly keep your fuel clean. It has way to low of a pumping rate.
Old 23-01-2013, 16:43   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I've got one of them in the basement that I took out. Could never get the damn thing to work. As said, flow rate is far too low.

It is NOT a fuel polishing system. When I was fooling with this thing, after I bought it, I found out that they REALLY sell it to keep moisture out, not to clean the fuel. I've got a 150 gallon tank, good luck with that.

Another issue is it is sensitive to the way you mount it. I forget which way it goes, but it has to be the way shown in the diagrams. Implied but not stated. Racor tech told me that.

So, I have a second filter, plus a wee pump and timer that I can repurpose to something else someday, maybe.

Expensive lesson. Not too happy with Racor myself.

As to keeping my fuel clean? I ended up with a day tank and dual Racors in series. Also, just bought some Fuel Right (Fuel Right) which has been discussed here on the forum, to kill the crud. Don't know how well it works, just put it in this week.

When I get around to it I'll have to cut inspection ports into the tank top so that I can try to suck out the worst of the gunk. But that is a few jobs down on the list, after replacing the bow sprit.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 00:52   #67

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
As far as I'm concerned that Racor unit will never work to properly keep your fuel clean. It has way to low of a pumping rate.
At the moment I have a small pump on my fuel polishing system and it has been working very well.
There have been a few reports of failure of the Racor system and its very expensive for what you get, but if you want to make your own similar system its a good solution IMHO.
Old 24-01-2013, 06:24   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Years long past I've had the famous "Krud sucked outta the tank at just the wrong navigational moment" syndrome in one of the boats before... And we all know how much fun that is....

Boy is it a nice feeling however knowing how clean your system is after you do the thankless "tank pull" and have the "this system is cleaner than a clean room" grin...

Question for you polishers... did a quick search and didn't see any info on my thought.... Has anybody lined the bottom of their tanks with ball bearings to constantly clean and keep krud from accumulation on the tank bottom??? Working around obvious fuel pickup and blocking issues of said bearings??? It would seem that the right quantity would work around baffles and such????

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 07:29   #69

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Has anybody lined the bottom of their tanks with ball bearings to constantly clean and keep krud from accumulation on the tank bottom???
Please let us know how it works out for you.
Old 24-01-2013, 07:33   #70
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ball bearings getting caught n the fuel pick up would be a beeyotch...methinks--how to keep em from going there while near rocks on a lee shore?????
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 07:45   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Zee... I was obviously talking about eliminating the pickup issue.... Guessing larger ss bearings like 3/8-1/2".... modifying any pickup tube to eliminate chance of blockage or restriction.... just wondering if it has been tried???

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 09:31   #72

This morning I un-installed the Racor FPM 050 from my fuel system. I ran the unit with no fuel going through and it cycles on and off. Touching my finger to the inlet side (just barely touching) shuts it off immediately.
Called Parker Hannifin and explained the cycling on and off problem. Shravan (very nice fellow) asked pertinent questions. Was the supplied voltage failing, somehow? Were the wires old? Could I wire it to a different battery, please? I had checked out these issues.
Shravan said he would provide me with another Return Authorization Number to return the unit for testing again.
I suppose I will send it back. The Racor FPM 050 at best has a very low flow rate. The unit I have is defective, I believe.
I have installed and un-installed the Racor FPM 050 unit three times. If Parker Hannifin/Racor were to send me a new replacement unit I doubt I would bother to install it.
Background; My engine is a newly installed Betamarine 43,( 15 hours) brand new Racor 500FG filter housing, 20 micron filter, fuel crystal clear. My fuel tank is higher than the engine and the supply line comes from the bottom of the tank so the set up is like big day tank. Tank = 70 gals.
I only wanted the FPM 050 to remove moisture from the fuel. I never expected it to act like a polisher. The principle behind the design is brilliant, just what I wanted. However, as mentioned, I doubt that I will re-install the FPM 050 even if Parker Hannifin provides me with a new one.
Sharki127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 10:20   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Sharki,

I understand the frustration. At least you correctly understand the intended use. But I kinda think that pump is best suited for really small tanks, like under 30 gallons. As I said, mine is sitting in the basement.

FWIW you can get a Whale Gulper 220 with a nitryl diaphragm from Northern Tools for about $200. Rated for diesel, and also works for other stuff as well. Then you can cycle through the Racor, use the timer to control the Whale pump instead of the FPM. At least you will retain most of your value from the investment.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...3660_200333660

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Years long past I've had the famous "Krud sucked outta the tank at just the wrong navigational moment" syndrome in one of the boats before... And we all know how much fun that is....
Yes, all too familiar. Once I got to remove some fabric from my pick up, after removing the inspection plate, while drifting down on an island. New for me boat, third day of ownership.

Then this summer I had some crud get past my Racor and engine filter, somehow the Racor failed, but I have not a clue how. Crud in the engine filter was nearly as big as my little finger, but very loose, would disintegrate immediately. Really weird. That cost me about $2,000 between injector pump service and additional docking fees, and mechanic fees, and installing a day tank with second Racor. Integral tanks, 150 gal, no inspection ports -- yet. I had just, that week, pumped my tank down and tried to slush out all the crud, then pumped fuel back in. Very frustrating.The day tanks solution seems to work very well for me. I just need to remember to fill it, and to shut the fill pump off.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:31   #74

Boat: Tayana 37

So, having just installed the FPM-050 as part of the Racor kit, and having observed a flow rate (if you can call it that) of about one drop per two seconds I thought I'd tap on your collective wisdom.

I'll attach photos, but briefly, the unit is plumbed with 3/4ID hose as follows:
27Gallon Moeller tank in deep bilge keel, to
Moeller bladder hand-pump for priming (yes it's the right way round), to
Racor 500 turbine filter 10microns, to
Parker/Racor FPM-050 pump, then to Engine and return line, as instructed.

As an aside: the installation includes a bypass system so I can run off a smaller Racor filter when my 500 series gets blocked up, or needs maintenance.

After assembly, I primed using the squeeze/bladder pump, and was most gratified to hear fuel flowing back into the tank via the return.
Expecting to hear a similar sound once the pump was on, I was disappointed to hear nothing but the hopeful but ineffectual buzzing of the pump.

So now I disconnect the return line and observe the abovementioned flow rate of one drop per two seconds. I didn't expect much from a 150mA pump, but this sucks... or not!

It should be noted that, this being Winter in Boston, I didn't want to run the engine to pull all the fuel through the system. All I did was pump with my bladder pump until the RAcor was full, and I could hear fuel returning to the tank. There is, therefore, still air between the pump and the engine, but I don't see how that could matter.

Could it be that:
a: with the Diesel being at 25degF, its viscosity is too great for the pump to suck it through the filter, or
b: with the pump mounted 24" above the bottom of the tank, the "poor wee pump" is unable to suck a 3/4" wide by 24" high column of Diesel up from the tank, or
c: it really is important to prime the unit all the way to the engine.

From what I've read so far, I fear the answer will be "b" to which there is no solution that I can think of, since I can't mount the pump in the bottom of the bilge.

I attach photos of my system.

Cheers,

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2091.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	53996   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2096.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	421.6 KB
ID:	53997  

Tailwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 13:32   #75

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwheel View Post

So now I disconnect the return line and observe the abovementioned flow rate of one drop per two seconds. I didn't expect much from a 150mA pump, but this sucks... or not!
There have been a number of complaints about the Racor pump, not pumping, or priming well.
My home made polishing system uses a low volume pump. It still pumps out about 50L /Hr (estimated). It is very quiet so I often have it on for 10 hours a day, which means the equivalent of our average fuel load 1/2 tank ( max 1000L) is filtered each day.

My pump consumes about 0.9A.

Can you replace the pump? This seems the weak link in the Racor system?

Generally Parker products are very good, but the polishing system does seem a bit of lemon. A bit of DIY tweaking, with a new pump, should see it operating satisfactorily

Tags
fuel, racor