Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2020, 03:50   #1
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440
RACOR Filters

Currently I have 30 Micron Filters, but noticed they sell 2 and 10 Micron filters.

Which size is best/recommended? - 40HP Yanmar 3JH4E engines

Old 14-05-2020, 04:45   #2

Boat: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Re: RACOR Filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Currently I have 30 Micron Filters, but noticed they sell 2 and 10 Micron filters.

OEM usually recommends 10 or 30 to provide staged filtration ahead of the 2 micron secondary. Many owners decide OEM is wrong and just want to sell secondary filters so will run 2 micron primaries. Also, many owners are sacred to replace their secondaries because it often means priming the engine to get it started again. Personally, I tend to listen to OEM recommendations and learn how to bleed my fuel system. But hey, I'm a trawler guy.

mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 05:02   #3

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:

When I was in a pinch I ran the 2 micron one on my 3GM30. It stayed for the rest of the season with no adverse affects i.e. the engine wasn't cutting out due to be short on fuel. I did change back to 30 though eventually.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 05:06   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I'm a trawler guy, too. How dirty is your fuel? The only real risk in running a 2 micron filter as a primary is clogging it up with large junk, which might have been removed by a 30 micron primary, or a piece of window screen, before a 2 micron secondary. You want to get fuel to your engine that won't clog your injectors. You don't want the engine to quit in fuel starvation just as you hit reverse to avoid crashing the dock. You get to decide what filtering will do that. In my case, a 30 micron Racor with water and sediment separation prior to the engine's secondary works fine, but then I started with clean tanks.
Old 14-05-2020, 06:25   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Ideally with any filter system you want to first filter to a small particle size, then filter to a very small size, that uses both filters and extends their life, for example most water makers have two filters, a 20 micron and a secondary 5 micron.
I can’t prove it as I don’t know exactly where, but I have read that it’s against Yanmar’s recommendation to run finer than a 30 micron in the primary filter, reason given was excessive vacuum required to pull fuel through.
I assume those that run finer get away with it because the Racor 500’s most of us use are capable of flowing far more fuel than we use.
I have not been able to find definitively what the rating of the Yanmar is, but think it’s in the 6 or 8 range, not 2 microns.

However it’s funny how many that will run 2 micron filters, won’t consider using non Yanmar oil of oil filters.
However it’s been said and it’s true, fuel can’t be too clean, so if you want to run 2 micron go ahead, but I doubt it’s accomplishing anything, and don’t do it to not change the secondary, filters over time will break down and the media come apart, you certainly don’t want that going into your injection pump.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 10:48   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Once your fuel tanks are clean, and you buy clean fuel, you can run 2 micron primaries without problems. The secondary filters are usually 10 micron, and while they don't collect much debris, they do collect water that misses the primaries. So they still need to be changed, just not as often.
If you add a 12v pump inline, it makes bleeding much easier. Pre-fill the filter, turn on the pump, and open the bleed screw until clear fuel comes out. Don't run the engine until it's properly bled and you don't get air in the injector tubes.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 11:16   #7

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

My fuel tank is clean, I try to only fill from high use pumps. I have always run a 2 micron primary filter, I have a vacuum gauge in the line between filter and engine to let me know if it is plugging. So far in over 1000hrs, no problem. ( westerbeke 44b)
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 11:28   #8

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

We run 2 micron in our primary Racor.

With a 35 gallon tank and an engine that circulates roughly 5 gph when it’s running, our tank and fuel stay clean.

1200 hours like this and haven’t had a clogged filter yet. I do change the filter annually if I remember.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 11:54   #9

Quote:

Racors are cheap

Spin on engine filters are expensive

Use fine racors to protect your expensive spin on

slug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
racor