Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2022, 19:23   #16

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5
Re: Quicksilver High Performance Gear Lube...water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post

If there's water you'll need to replace the seals and bellows.
Only the seals. The output shaft is removed, and the seals replaced. The hull/leg diaphragm has nothing to do with the oil issue.
Old 18-02-2022, 19:38   #17

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5
Re: Quicksilver High Performance Gear Lube...water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt View Post
I have also a an SD50 saildrive and reading online posts disturbed by issues that are highlighted, one being water in the oil caused by pressurization and contraction, the other that the GL5 Quicksilver is not suitable as it attacks yellow metal, the bronze thrust washers. It seems that GL4 spec oil is more suitable for the SD50.

This video shows a comprehensive upgrade kit, I have not gone down that path yet, but it looks to have merit.

I have owned the boat for less than a year, the previous owner had just before my purchase done a complete rebuild on the leg because of water intrusion. The motor had only done 250 hours at that time.
On that, I am looking at replacing the dip-stick with an adapter and hose tail (ours does not have the clutch and vent plug in the video).
A clear hose then leads up to a small header tank. This takes the oil-level in the lower gear case above water-level, and therefore removes the issue of water pressure forcing water past a worn seal on the output shaft, into the oil.

Tags
gear, water