Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2021, 23:59   #1

Boat: NordicCruiser
QL 300 bow thruster oil drain plug

Hello,

I am not so lucky that anyone of you have changed the oil of the QL 300 Bow thruster leg? I am wondering if the nylon gasket should sit in line with the bottom of the leg (basically submerget in the hole for the drain plug) so that you only see the oil drain plug looking a bit out of the housing, or if you actually see a bit of the nylon gasket looking out of the leg when you have the oil plug installed.

I can not take a reference from how it was before, as it was painted with antifoul and it was also leaking a bit, which made me changing the oil, gasket and drain plug. But now after installing, it still leaks a bit. I can see the gasket looking a bit out of the gear housing.
NordicCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 05:19   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: QL 300 bow thruster oil drain plug

Hey, Nordic. Could you post a picture? People like me who have never done this particular task may still be able to tell whether is looks right.

Second thought: Do you have an exploded parts diagram? That would show to order of parts.
Old 20-04-2021, 05:29   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Hey, Nordic. Could you post a picture? People like me who have never done this particular task may still be able to tell whether is looks right.

Second thought: Do you have an exploded parts diagram? That would show to order of parts.
The exploded parts diagram on the Volvo Penta Marinepartsonline site shows just, that the gasket comes on the oil drain plug. But I can not see from those pictures if the gasket submerges in the housing and only the screw looks out, or if you see the gasket. It is a nylon gasket, so no rubber.

The pictures here are not from me, but you can see it here from another user. So here I assume, that it is normal one can see the gasket. Look at the part between screw and housing bottom: https://baatplassen.no/i/topic/12038...p300-thruster/
Old 20-04-2021, 05:56   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK. I think I see what you are talking about now. If that is a flat nylon "washer," then yes, I would expect to see the edge between the head of the screw and the bottom of the foot. The immediate danger might be that if it were over-tightened it might break and leak.

Suggestion: Wrap the threads to the plug in Teflon tape before installing it. That would seal the threads against a leak.

https://www.amazon.com/D-N-Premium-P...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

If you are not familiar with using teflon tape to seal threads, be aware that you need to wrap it in the direction that the thread tightens.
Old 21-04-2021, 23:00   #5

Now I have found the problem. It was still leaking and so I removed te oil plug again. Then I saw, that the old washer was still in place. So I removed it and cleaned the surface where it sits with a toothbrush. Now with the new washer in place it is even leaking more.

The problem is, that a part of the rest where the washer should sit is corroded. So there is a small gap where the washer can not cover. That is a tricky problem. I tried some different washers but not the teflon tape yet. But will it resist to the oil from the inside?
Old 22-04-2021, 04:26   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

" But will it resist to the oil from the inside?"

Yes. Teflon tape seals threads, while also making them smooth so they torque easily. It's used to make pressure-proof seals against very high pressures, such as joints in compressed gas systems. Look at some high-pressure joints - you'll see little bits of white tape sticking out. It's cheap and easy to use. Just wrap the threads in three or four layers, winding in the direction the threads tighten.
Old 22-04-2021, 04:39   #7

I will try that. But will you still apply the original nylon washer or leave that away? I have also found those washers for hydraulic systems that should tighten a bit better/closer at the thread.
Old 22-04-2021, 05:12   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The washer may still serve as a spacer despite the corrosion you've found. It's not a big decision, but I'd leave it in place.

Second technique to learn. In that sort of corroded situation, where even a soft washer will not seal, Gasket maker silicone may be of use. Clean all oil off both sides, wipe with alcohol or acetone, and apply the goo to both sides. Join the parts, but don't tighten. Leave it overnight, so that it sets. Then tighten the threads the last 1/4 turn, slightly compressing the gasket you've made. The silicone can fill the irregularity from corrosion where a paper gasket cannot.

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-8218...9093152&sr=8-5

If you tighten the threads when it's wet, as most people do, you get no compression of your new gasket - you are just plugging the crack with silicone.
Old 22-04-2021, 05:17   #9

That gives meaning with permatex, yes. However, the only downside would be that draining all the oil from the Thruster will leave some air pockets in it while filling. So when the drain plug will not be removed any more, the air has to escape to the upside which possibly is a bit difficult through the thick oil?
Old 22-04-2021, 05:35   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Air will get through the oil just fine. With parts moving around in there, some air is not a problem. All the parts will be lubricated by splash.

Tags
oil, plug