Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2019, 14:16   #1
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36
Q about draining coolant.

my engine block coolant drain is about 10" lower than my manifold and about level with the top of my heat exchanger. will draining from the block drain empty coolant from the manifold and basically everything above the block drain?

I know it probably wont empty the heat exchanger and maybe low spots at the #4 piston but there is a low hose coming off the exchanger I could open to drain the heat exchanger and maybe the low spots.

I do plan on doing a couple of coolant system flushes so I'm not sure I have to worry about getting every last drop but I do want to get 90% out.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 14:28   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Q about draining coolant.

You might want to mention the engine model. Some have multiple coolant drains.
Old 14-04-2019, 14:33   #3
er9
cruiser

universal /westerbeke 5432. kubota v-1501.

I have all the shop and parts manuals and I can only find two drains on the diagrams. one at the back of the manifold (which is very hard to get to) and one on the side of the block on the front of the engine.
Old 15-04-2019, 11:23   #4

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

I have a bracket that has to be removed to drain the block on my Hino plus a drain on the manicooler. That pretty much drains all the coolant. If this is the 1st time draining coolant I would drain everything and save the block drain for last. Then drain it and see how much comes out. That should determine what needs to be done in the future.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 13:28   #5
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
I have a bracket that has to be removed to drain the block on my Hino plus a drain on the manicooler. That pretty much drains all the coolant. If this is the 1st time draining coolant I would drain everything and save the block drain for last. Then drain it and see how much comes out. That should determine what needs to be done in the future.
thanks. I got impatient and just drained from the block first, very slow but i got about 6qts from it. some p/o genius installed a drain that's not spec on the lower return hose at the block, got another 3/4 qt from that and a bit more when I cut the lowest hose to the water heater. so in all 7qts. she only holds 8 and It had a slow leak so i think i got pretty much all of it except what's left in the block around the low end pistons. manifold drain was a no go....no access to that area of engine. happy I was able to get so much out from block drain.

Tags
coolant