Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2015, 00:11   #16
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
re: PSS faulty Bellows

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I keep bumping into the spare set screws that came with my PSS. And somehow I just KNOW that when I need them I won't be able to find them.
Spare set???

Hmm... my PSS came with two sets of set screws both of which are required to be fitted - one on top of the other. Did you get another complete "double" set?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:37   #17

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Spare set???

Hmm... my PSS came with two sets of set screws both of which are required to be fitted - one on top of the other. Did you get another complete "double" set?
I got a spare set (4) with mine. Can't remember where I put them though.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:29   #18

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Spare set???

Yep. I assumed it was standard? Maybe a new thing?

Four in the collar thingummy now, and four in a zip lock bag in the engine toolbox. At least they are in the engine toolbox until the day I need them then they will be some other darn place.

I wonder if PSS started including them in an attempt to protect their reputation against people recycling the old ones, having the collar slip, and then bagging the product as faulty?

Sometimes as a manufacturer you have to factor in human nature and wear the cost.

Matt
Old 08-03-2015, 03:31   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I got a spare set (4) with mine. Can't remember where I put them though.
Oh oh, that means you are gonna need them soon.

Murphy was an optimist.

Matt
Old 08-03-2015, 03:33   #20

Quote:
Spare set???

Actually, quite seriously... just looking at the numbers here, Rustic Charm, I seem to remember you posted that you had a 1.5" shaft? (How are your engine mounts by the way?)

Wotname, I am guessing you are not encumbered with such a horrible heavy drive shaft, more likely a 1" shaft?

Maybe they only include the spares with the larger drive shafts? There was a substantial price difference from memory.

Matt
Old 08-03-2015, 03:45   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Actually, quite seriously... just looking at the numbers here, Rustic Charm, I seem to remember you posted that you had a 1.5" shaft? (How are your engine mounts by the way?)

Wotname, I am guessing you are not encumbered with such a horrible heavy drive shaft, more likely a 1" shaft?

Maybe they only include the spares with the larger drive shafts? There was a substantial price difference from memory.

Matt
No, I have a 1 inch shaft, most likely 25mm being French.
I'm waiting for iso flex in Hobart to work out what I can use for the front mounts. They are different, on an angle.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:57   #22

Quote:
No, I have a 1 inch shaft, most likely 25mm being French.
I'm waiting for iso flex in Hobart to work out what I can use for the front mounts. They are different, on an angle.
Well, there goes THAT theory. I wonder where I read about some other hapless bugger wrestling a 1.5" drive shaft...?

Matt
Old 08-03-2015, 04:57   #23

The bellows tension is created by fixing it at the aft and forward ends. If you attempt to increase tension by moving forward end aft... and it doesn't do the trick... next try tp increase tension by moving the aft end forward.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:57   #24

Boat: Mason 44

when I bought my boat, the pss was 10 years old installed by PO. still good when the old unit was removed.

today, pss offer a ss collar clamp as retainer to prevent the ss ring from sliding. Some ppl use short piece of hose with hose clamps to do the same job.

a friend with pss on a 40' in NY, sealed the bleeder . Put back his boat in the water after being on the hard for several months. Boat nearly sank! Luckily managed to get it back to the travel lift. Upon inspection, the pss rubber bellows was all ripped apart on the shaft!

His lesson, use the bleeder to prevent air lock and seizure. connect a long hose higher than water line to bleeder for PSS.

I like my pss.

Keep us posted on your progress and findings.
ericoh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:08   #25

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I'll bet your NY friend was PSS'ed off at his negligence.
Hard lesson to learn.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 14:14   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
The bellows tension is created by fixing it at the aft and forward ends. If you attempt to increase tension by moving forward end aft... and it doesn't do the trick... next try tp increase tension by moving the aft end forward.
Thanks Sandero but that doesn't make sense. I know what your suggesting, but there is NO space left in the bellows, that's what my problem is, so it doesn't matter which way around I try to increase tension I can only get a max of about 2mm.

Despite it raining pigs and goats today I'm going down to my boat and will be doing some work on it. I'll take some pictures today so it's clear what the problem is.

I'm starting to suspect I just have a faulty bellows in which case it still should be under warranty. It's a public holiday today though so I can't go and talk to the engineering shop who are the local agents for pss seals until tomorrow.
Old 08-03-2015, 21:20   #27
cruiser

Boat: Choey Lee 30

Quote:
I've replaced my standard gland seal for the prop shaft with a PSS seal. I'm in the second year now and up until now I've been really happy with it. But the last trip a month ago I noticed more water in the bilge under power than usual. So today I checked it out and under power water was pissing out of the seal between the ceramic and the steel collar.

My first thought was that the collar had loosened off, so I got out with the Allen keys and tried to adjust the tension on the bellows. To my surprise I couldnt. I dug out the instruction sheet and for a 1 inch shaft, it's recommended 3/4 inch of back tension. The problem is the bellows have no stretch left in them, which means I can at most get about 2mm of tension. Enough to stop it leaking when stopped but leaks bally when under way.

Has anyone else has this problem?

I obviously have to purchase a new bellows but gee, I thought it would last longer than two years...
have a laser alignment or stop buying Chinese hehe
gah964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 22:37   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by gah964 View Post
have a laser alignment or stop buying Chinese hehe
I don't grasp your sense of humour, you will need to spell it out to me.
Old 08-03-2015, 22:48   #29
cruiser

Boat: Choey Lee 30

Quote:
I don't grasp your sense of humour, you will need to spell it out to me.
maybe they are cheap maybe your have a wobble pictures would help I don't really know what your dealing with here.
\

gah964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 23:31   #30

Hi everyone,
Well what a back breaking day I have had. I spent about an hour fitting a new expansion tank for my coolant issues. That was easy, then I moved on to the PSS seal problem, spent about another hour getting it in and our so I could show you all some pictures, but then about four hours trying to realign my engine because when I disconnected the coupling from the engine to get the bellows out, my alignment was out by a massive 1/4 inch. So, 50 trips up and down the gangway, a deck hatch and laying feet up with half my torso in the back of the engine I finally managed to line it up again.

Now, what happened. I had 40mm between the outer bellows in position. This remained the same when I released the stainless collar. When I out it on my chart table and measured it you can see it's still compressed at 40mm. I washed it in soapy water and cleaned the SS collar and put it back and it shrunk to 35mm. But that's a little better than I had on in Saturday. I really can't get anywhere near the 3/4 inch the instructions suggest.

After putting it all back together and using new grub screws (yeah I found them in my spare change box in my chart table along with two spare O rings for the SS collar). The extra 5mm is enough to stop the leak under power. So at least for the time being the problem is not as bad. But Im still going to contact the supplier because something is still not right in my opinion. The last picture is back in place with the maximum compression I could possibly have. No more was possible. Is it enough? I guess we will see in time. I'll report back with what the supplier says.

This is the first picture before I removed anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	420.5 KB
ID:	98567