Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2015, 22:28   #46

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Properly Check Engine Oil Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
It is often suggested, even a couple of times on this thread.

If I were to put what Volvo says the engine will hold into my engine, it would be overfilled by two quarts or so. I just pour (from a 2.5 gallon jug, check, and add until it's where it's supposed to be. Then I start the engine, run it for a few minutes, shut it down and then top it off a few hours later or the next morning.
I always, 'always' when doing oil changes suck it all out and then put in what the manual says. It's never to date 'over filled' it. Then I check to see where on the dip stick it is and see if it is half way between the two marks.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 22:31   #47

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
My Volvo owner's manual says to suck the oil out through the dipstick tube. Obviously, it goes into the oil pan, but of course, it cannot go all the way to the bottom, it has to stop short of the bottom so you can measure the oil level and so you can suck the oil out.

What this means is, and I posted it above, it is not possible to get all the oil out through the dipstick tube so refilling it with the rated amount of oil will result in overfilling the engine.
Unless you have an oil tube that is designed for this, then I'm not sure 'how' you can use the tube to suck the oil out, without some sort of special seal that fits on the tube

I have a volvo and where it says to remove the oil via the dipstick tube, it assumes you use something like an oil extractor kit or plunger. The 'tube' in the oil extraction kit you then push down deep into the pan to reach all the oil.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 22:38   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
It is true that Yanmar dipsticks seal really well at the top. The first reading will usually indicate low level. The second reading will usually be correct.

The reason for the first reading low is that as the air in the tube heats up the air expands and pushes the oil level down a bit. Pulling the dipstick releases the pressure. The second reading will be accurate since there is an insignificant amount of air compression due to reinserting the dipstick. There is no problem for Yanmar engineering to fix.
This is true of Universal engines, too.

Any dipstick that had a seal simply needs to be removed just a bit and replaced.

Heck, ya don't even need to pull it all the way out nor wipe the 'stick, especially if you do it when the engine is cold.

WADR, this is diesel engine Oil Level Check 101 stuff. It may be new for new skippers, but I would appreciate someone explaining why is this all of a sudden a mystery.

If the first pull of the dip stick reads correctly you need a new dipstick because the rubber seal is leaking. There should be a complete seal in the dipstick tube after the engine is shut down.
Always double check that your dipstick is completely seated. If it isn't you'll find one "heck of a mess" from dirty/filthy oil coming out of the dipstick hole.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 05:26   #49

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Unless you have an oil tube that is designed for this, then I'm not sure 'how' you can use the tube to suck the oil out, without some sort of special seal that fits on the tube

I have a volvo and where it says to remove the oil via the dipstick tube, it assumes you use something like an oil extractor kit or plunger. The 'tube' in the oil extraction kit you then push down deep into the pan to reach all the oil.
The hose from the oil extraction pump is sealed to the tube either by a tight fit or by a temporary hose clamp.

I'm following the original Volvo owner's manual. I would be surprised if it assumed anything.

I did make up a tube to go inside the dipstick tube. It reaches 1" further than the dipstick, then hits bottom but doesn't get much additional oil.
Old 24-04-2015, 05:45   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
It is true that Yanmar dipsticks seal really well at the top. The first reading will usually indicate low level. The second reading will usually be correct.

The reason for the first reading low is that as the air in the tube heats up the air expands and pushes the oil level down a bit. Pulling the dipstick releases the pressure. The second reading will be accurate since there is an insignificant amount of air compression due to reinserting the dipstick. There is no problem for Yanmar engineering to fix.

This is exactly it, but it was interesting to note the difference in reading, I hadn't noticed that before, wasn't hard to figure it out.

Why the seal? Well some engines when they get old have a lot of blow-by and will actually blow some oil out the stick tube, but not the way Yanmar has this thing sealed, or maybe in some engines they make there is a PCV valve which of course is designed to pull a slight negative pressure in a crankcase, and Yanmar just uses the same stick in multiple engines? Or maybe they just have a tendency to "over design"? Who knows but it's not really a problem, just interested me is all.

As far as using the actual dip stick tube to be the suction tube to remove oil, it's pretty common and in fact on some engines you will see thread on the tube where a larger tube goes over it and screws on, pretty good design I think as that is a bigger diameter than a tiny plastic tube that goes down inside of the stick tube, and you only have a short section to store. Can you imagine sucking gallons of oil out that tiny tube most of us use to change the oil on a big Diesel, assuming your a mechanic and time is money?

Oh, and I like the Beer timer, I think I'm going to have to use that, way back when I used to smoke, a smoke break was used, but I quit that long ago, Beer sounds better anyway
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 10:03   #51

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:

Since you have to pull the dipstick out to wipe it, you would relieve that pressure and the actual reading (after wiping the dipstick) would be correct, right?

Perhaps the "problem" is not with the engine, it is with the user.

Tags
engine, oil, rope