Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2018, 04:56   #1

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47
Proper shutdown/start sequence with a Maxprop?

Is this correct?

Get some headway on with sails up. Engine in forward gear for steerageway. Engine in neutral and then shut down. Engine to reverse re. Maxprop.

Engine to neutral not running. Start engine. Engine in forward to facilitate sail handling.

Thanks!
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:38   #2

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu
Re: Proper shutdown/start sequence with a Maxprop?

I don't get what you're trying to do... I have a maxprop as well. If you want feather it, just click it back into reverse for a second after the engine is off, then back to neutral. Do everything else (forward, reverse, sails up or down) as you need to depending on what you're doing....
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:24   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

I'm with Sojourner, feathering props are no different from fixed ones, except sometimes you have to stop the shaft after the engine is off to force them to feather back. Half the time, it will stop on it's own and feather without any further action. Your sequence is right. The most important thing as you get faster - don't abandon one form of propulsion until you are sure the other is working. There were times when I'd have to raise sails again if the engine didn't stay running, so make sure it all works in the new system before turning off the old.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:25   #4

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I don't get what you're trying to do... I have a maxprop as well. If you want feather it, just click it back into reverse for a second after the engine is off, then back to neutral. Do everything else (forward, reverse, sails up or down) as you need to depending on what you're doing....
Is there harm in keeping it in reverse?
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:48   #5

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichandHelen View Post
Is this correct?

Get some headway on with sails up. Engine in forward gear for steerageway. Engine in neutral and then shut down. Engine to reverse re. Maxprop.

Engine to neutral not running. Start engine. Engine in forward to facilitate sail handling.

Thanks!
The manual says to turn the engine off whilst motoring in forward gear so as to feather. It says to do it at 2-3kt, but I find I can do it at any speed so long as the engine is powered to be very slightly driving the prop when it is shut down.

If you leave it in reverse you won't know if it is feathered by observing, feeling or hearing the shaft rotating, so it's best to leave it in neutral and you will then notice if it unfeathers. The manual actually says it doesn't matter if you leave it in gear or not. I always leave it in neutral.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:50   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichandHelen View Post
Is there harm in keeping it in reverse?
I don't think so -- that's what I do with my Maxprop.

If I keep the transmission in neutral, sometimes the prop starts spinning again when we get pushed by a quartering sea. Once it starts spinning, it doesn't stop. I doubt if it makes any difference whether you choose fwd or rev, the feathered prop puts virtually no torque on the shaft. I use reverse because that puts the shift/speed lever where it is less likely to get bumped.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:12   #7

I just used the reverse for a second method and it worked fine to feather the prop.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:34   #8

Boat: Rawson 30PH

I have not found a specific sequence needed on mine. However, most engine manuals state how they want the shifter positioned while sailing (really a transmission issue). With my current Beta, I am supposed to leave it in reverse while sailing.
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:01   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

This is the authoritative answer from the MaxProp instructions. Which you can and should download if you have not already done so: -
"The Max-Prop® works automatically. By putting the engine in gear the blades will engage in either forward or reverse. The best way to feather the propeller is:
Power at 2 to 3 knots in forward.
• Kill the engine while still engaged in forward.
• When the engine has stopped, if the shaft is still spinning engage the transmission in reverse to stop the freewheeling.
You can check to see if the propeller is feathered or not by taking the engine out of gear. If the propeller is not feathered the shaft will freewheel like with a fixed blade propeller.
In that case start the engine again and repeat the three steps. If your propeller has been greased properly it will feather in a fraction of a second as soon as you stop the shaft from freewheeling. Once the prop is feathered, you can either leave the transmission in gear or out of gear, it does not matter. DO NOT kill the engine while in reverse. In this case the blades will be in the reverse position and will not feather. You can actually use this feature to drive a shaft alternator."

There is an old saying: RTFM. The R stands for Read and the M for Manual. You can work out the less polite middle two.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:25   #10

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alita49DS View Post
DO NOT kill the engine while in reverse. In this case the blades will be in the reverse position and will not feather. You can actually use this feature to drive a shaft alternator."
So then let me learn something too.... if for whatever insane reason I need more electricity (after something bad, solar and wind out, gennie non functioning, not enough gas to keep the engine running....) I could hit reverse for a second under engine, kill it, and charge the house while under sail??
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:41   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
So then let me learn something too.... if for whatever insane reason I need more electricity (after something bad, solar and wind out, gennie non functioning, not enough gas to keep the engine running....) I could hit reverse for a second under engine, kill it, and charge the house while under sail??
Err, no! You would need to have a shaft generator. The engine would not be turning. Only the shaft.

This has been discussed here in the past. See http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...aft-67467.html

The article is also quite illuminating about the idea being nothing new: -

https://www.cruisingworld.com/gear/green-power-passage

I suspect that with a modern mono hull boat the problem would be were to put a generator without obstructing a lot of space. Or perhaps even having the space around the exposed part of the shaft.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:12   #12

Boat: 1993 Horstman Tristar trimaran, 46'

For my 22" feathering Maxprop, I actually check the prop shaft as I do this:

1) Sails up and we're sailing at pretty good speed
2) engine still running, transmission in neutral
3) press "STOP" on engine panel (pressing stop before turning key off protects the diodes
4) Verify while sailing prop shaft is spinning, engine is now off.
5) shift transmission into reverse. This feathers the propeller blades.

Lately, sometimes my transmission shifter gets stuck in reverse when I do this. Might be a grease/ servicing issue. In this case, I just have to remember to put it back into reverse when starting. I just keep sailing this way as I know it's feathered. When I feather the prop you can actually hear it occur and see the prop shaft go from spinning to stopped.

I was doing over 10 kts sailing when when this "stuck in reverse" thing happened so it could be due to the speed as well. Either way, I am removing the prop and re-greasing as it's time for that anyway. Manual says once a year. It's been over 2.
captaingregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:22   #13

Or your problems could be because you are steadfastly refusing to do what it says in the manual?

I might be naïve but I reckon that the people who design and make a product are likely to have a better idea to get the best out of it than I do.
Old 09-03-2018, 14:39   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alita49DS View Post
Or your problems could be because you are steadfastly refusing to do what it says in the manual?

I might be naïve but I reckon that the people who design and make a product are likely to have a better idea to get the best out of it than I do.
I wouldn't get so snotty about it. Their instructions are not that good. Motor ahead at 2-3 knots....we're sailing for crying out loud at least 5-6 knots. Then what are we supposed to do, run downstairs, open the engine door and look at the shaft to see if it's turning? Every time? After each shift of the tranny? Stupid directions and not unusual for document writers. When was the last time anybody read excellent directions for much of anything?
2 or 3 simple steps would be IMMENSELY preferable and I completely understand the attempts to make it simple, as you don't appear to. Put in your 2 cents, then give it a rest and quit insulting those that want to discuss it further. But I imagine you'll be back with more snide remarks, flame on...
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 16:33   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingriki View Post
I wouldn't get so snotty about it. Their instructions are not that good. Motor ahead at 2-3 knots....we're sailing for crying out loud at least 5-6 knots. Then what are we supposed to do, run downstairs, open the engine door and look at the shaft to see if it's turning? Every time? After each shift of the tranny? Stupid directions and not unusual for document writers. When was the last time anybody read excellent directions for much of anything?
2 or 3 simple steps would be IMMENSELY preferable and I completely understand the attempts to make it simple, as you don't appear to. Put in your 2 cents, then give it a rest and quit insulting those that want to discuss it further. But I imagine you'll be back with more snide remarks, flame on...
5-6 knots?? It's pretty easy to keep the speed down to 2 or 3 knots by either waiting to unfurl the jib until the prop is either feathered or folded, as the case may be, and if you are still going faster than you like, either luff up a little or overtrim.

If people actually read the directions, or even contacted the manufacturer, we probably would have barely enough questions for forums like this. But, most people like to get their information indirectly, in a hearsayish kind of way, rather than from the horse's mouth, I have found.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, rope