Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2014, 11:25   #1

Boat: Cal 34 Mk. III
Proper gaskets?

Just purchased a boat with an old Westerbeke 30 engine. The engine runs wells but there is an oil leak. Its obvious that at least one place its leaking is the valve cover. I purchased the proper gasket but when going to remove and replace it, I also found individual gaskets under each of the retaining screws.

The cover is held in place with two cap nuts atop the cover. There are a couple of washers and bushings sandwiched between the the nut and the cover, and a cork gasket beneath all of them against the top of the gasket.

I'm really not familiar with this type of attachment or engine. I've looked at the technical manual for the engine but theres no mention there of these gaskets. Ive also contacted Westerbeke and my local dealer without getting any definitive answer on whether they're supposed to be there. There's no replacement part offered by Westerbeke.

So I'm not sure whether its proper to mock up a new gasket, or simply remove the ones installed. Anyone know what's proper here? Any considerations if I am making my own replacement?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Flying Knight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gasket, rope