Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2019, 11:05   #16

Re: Prop Shaft Appears Disconnected

Is the end of the shaft drilled and tapped? If so you could use a long bolt with holed plate and washers to pull the shaft into the coupling.
Dan_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:24   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

I have limited experience with this, but I would like to point out a peculiarity that caused me confusion. To replace the engine mounts on my Yanmar, I removed the coupler flange bolts and backed off the shaft so that it was perhaps 1" away from the normal location, much like your shaft is now. I thought "what the heck, I'll pull the coupling off while I'm at it." There were two set screws visible, plus the keyway and key. I removed the two SS set screws and could not budge the coupling, no matter what I did to it. It turned out that there were additional set screws in the same threaded hole and THEY needed to be removed or loosened as well.

Thus, when someone says "remove both set screws", they could be referring to ones that are 90 degrees apart on the side of the coupling, or they could be two in the same hole. This is true with Gori props as well: one set screw keeps the second set screw in place.

Cheers,

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:25   #18

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it:

There should he a hose clamp on the shaft - if you back hard or hit something going forward and the shaft pulls out completely, there is a shaft size hole that will sink the boat.

Put a hose clamp on the shaft between the coupling and the shaft log - if the shaft comes out, it will keep the shaft from coming all the way out.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:45   #19

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 Ketch - Reduced Rig & Shoal Draft

Great call on the double set screws in the same hole! I completely forgot
that they do that sometimes.
Sailing August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 14:40   #20

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Links that may help you. / Len

Coupling types and removal – Cox Engineering

Google Compass Marine.

Old 02-05-2019, 14:51   #21

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanderbucks View Post
All the things said above are correct except no one mentioned that you need to look for the WHY.

I could be just improper tightening of the set screws but could be other stuff such as excess vibration Causing the loosening. Anything from bent prop, bent shaft, barnacles on either as well.

As long as you have things apart now is a good time to check shaft/transmission alignment before tightening back up.

Depending on how tight your coupler is - putting it fully back into place can be a problem. Usually assisted by tapping or pushing on the prop end of the shaft.

Be sure to check the shaft key for being bent or rounded over.

This coming out on it's own should be considered the "canary in the mine shaft".
This is a good point. And, it's probably going to be easier to take the coupling off the transmission, get it onto the shaft, then slide the shaft forward to mate the coupler to the tranny. That's when you do your alignment with feeler gauges.

That's a solid coupler which is a good thing, as is the keyway. It can only go on the shaft one way and the divots for the set screws should be in place.

If the coupler is tight on the shaft (and it should be) you can get it good and hot with a torch which will help you get it back on. Wear welding gloves.

As for putting a hose clamp on the shaft to keep it from exiting through the log, another option is to put a zinc there, or even buy a SS machined collar.
Old 02-05-2019, 15:22   #22

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
This is a good point. And, it's probably going to be easier to take the coupling off the transmission, get it onto the shaft, then slide the shaft forward to mate the coupler to the tranny. That's when you do your alignment with feeler gauges.

That's a solid coupler which is a good thing, as is the keyway. It can only go on the shaft one way and the divots for the set screws should be in place.

If the coupler is tight on the shaft (and it should be) you can get it good and hot with a torch which will help you get it back on. Wear welding gloves.

As for putting a hose clamp on the shaft to keep it from exiting through the log, another option is to put a zinc there, or even buy a SS machined collar.
In the last 20 yrs i hv had 2 events when the bolts on the coupling came u done. Nuts, bolts washers all over the place! I realise that yhis case is a bit different where the shaft pulled out but these stories and my own experiences have lead me to a good protection. I very firmly secure a shaft anode on the shaft behind the gearbox coupling. That way the shaft is never able to drop out of my boat.
Andrew
"Genial Bee"
Old 02-05-2019, 20:16   #23

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

I don’t/ won’t trust set screws to begin with to do the job. After reassembling the whole thing thru drill the whole works and use a spring pin to lock it all in place. 5/16 should be sufficient.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote