Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 05:09   #1

Problems with new injection pump

How's it going guys? I've been struggling with my motor, a westerbeke 35b three, for a few months. Finally think I diagnosed it and had my injection pump rebuilt. Reinstalled it yesterday and went to check my timing and no fuel out of the injector lines.

I had fuel to the injectors before this last round of work, which included inspecting the governor and rebuilding the injector pump.

The tech manual I have is a little difficult to understand at times, but as best I can read the process for checking the injector timing is to: put cyl. 1 into the start of compression stroke, remove cyl. 1 fuel delivery spring, energize lift pump, hand crank motor until the fuel stops coming from line 1. The alternative process, which I did, doesn't require the removal of the spring, and is basically the same process, except you're looking for when the fuel starts vs when it stops.

When I pulled the lines off again, it appeared I was getting fuel through the pump, as evidenced by wet valve holders, but not through the lines themselves.

So, am I checking incorrectly? Is it possible I bent the delivery lines somehow and fouled all three(I can blow air through all three, but it takes a bit of lung power)? Is hand cranking the motor somehow not delivering enough power to engage the injector pump? Did I screw something up in my installation of the fuel pump in relation to governor(I.e. Connect my tie rod incorrectly)? I took off my v belt, which connects my crank pulley to the freshwater pump and alternator, so as to not pump coolant everywhere, is this somehow mucking things up? All three fuel lines are disconnected from the injectors, is there some kind of loss of pressure due to this? I'm at a loss here

After work today, I'm going to try and energize the lift pump and hand turn the motor, check if I can see fuel coming straight from the injection pump. That's about all I've got at this point. Sorry for the long post, and appreciate any help

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
strqaightv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:33   #2

Boat: grampian 26
Re: Problems with new injection pump

The v-belt has nothing to do with your injector pump so that's out. If the pump is gear driven there should be timing marks on the gears. Crack the fittings at the injectors to check for fuel flow.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:42   #3

Pump is cam driven. All three lines are disconnected from injectors, no fuel flow when hand turned, haven't tried bumping the starter yet

Old 05-12-2014, 05:50   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Is the fuel delivery lever in the run position?

Or better yet, when you shut down your engine do you turn off the key or pull a handle? If the key, you'll need to energize the fuel solenoid to get any fuel flow.

Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:52   #5

It's a fuel disconnect lever I pull, the line isn't even hooked up so it stays in the run position until I manually pull it. Fuel delivery lever is in the full throttle position

Old 05-12-2014, 06:08   #6

Or maybe I just need to seriously bleed it? I bled it when hooking everything up, and if I'm getting fuel all the way to the inj. pump it would seem there should be no more air in the system

Old 05-12-2014, 06:18   #7

A ha! Just realized, how about I already hooked up my fuel return line to the system, giving the fuel somewhere to flow before it ever reaches the pump! Now that I think about it, I'm almost positive this is it