Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2019, 14:49   #1

Problem with paragon p33l transmission

Hello from La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico! I’m having trouble with the reverse on my paragon P33L transmission. The reverse is working very slow. I’ve been adviced to adjust the reverse, could anyone here explain me step by step how to do this adjustment?
Could there be something else going on?

Any information would be very very helpfull! Thanks in advance
Almudena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 08:23   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI
Re: Problem with paragon p33l transmission

Hi, We sure miss La Paz & our Bombero friends, 1986 - 1989

First thing to do to check your Paragon is disconnect the shift linkage at the gear box. With boat secured properly or underway, have a trusted person at the helm, engine running at IDLE speed, then carefully operate the lever on the Paragon. If it shifts into reverse, you have found the problem. Adjust your shift cables.
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 14:15   #3

Thanks for your advice! I did that but the problem is that is does shift to reverse and turn but it works very slowly... no idea how to do the reverse adjustment?
Something about taking out washers one by one?
Almudena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 14:26   #4

Boat: Morgan 323

Maybe this will help?

http://familyatsea.com/wp-content/up...viceManual.pdf

Also, here is an old thread
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...33l-74394.html
GerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 13:34   #5

Hi, I have a Perkins 4.107M Westerbeck with a Paragon P33 V drive and reverse engages properly, but does not accelerate...engine bogs down, propeller stops and engine shuts down...HELPLEASE ��
Rodolfo Basail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 05:19   #6

Boat: None

Paragon hydraulic gears use a 'reversing band' that is literally a metal band covered in friction material that transfers rotation in an opposite direction as the FWD clutch discs. The band can be adjusted, however, when the friction material wears out you can no longer adjust and are pretty well screwed. You need to contact someone who knows something about these old transmissions. For long term, look for a Velvet Drive to replace it.
FPNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 06:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPNC View Post
Paragon hydraulic gears use a 'reversing band' that is literally a metal band covered in friction material that transfers rotation in an opposite direction as the FWD clutch discs. The band can be adjusted, however, when the friction material wears out you can no longer adjust and are pretty well screwed. You need to contact someone who knows something about these old transmissions. For long term, look for a Velvet Drive to replace it.
I have a paragon transmission that rotates in neutral, besides that it still works fine, but I figured I would have a go at rebuilding it when we have the engine out. What makes the Velvet drive a good replacement?
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 10:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPNC View Post
Thanks, how can I know with which velvet drive to replace it?
Rodolfo Basail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 12:26   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodolfo Basail View Post
Thanks, how can I know with which velvet drive to replace it?
You can still get some parts for Paragon gears. Some are only available used or you will have to search around.

A Velvet drive in the appropriate ratio and rotation will be a very similar length and have the same output flange size as the Paragon. The Velvet drive will not have the same offset as the Paragon so the engine height will need to be adjusted.
Old 07-04-2023, 12:29   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
I have a paragon transmission that rotates in neutral, besides that it still works fine, but I figured I would have a go at rebuilding it when we have the engine out. What makes the Velvet drive a good replacement?
Some Paragon gears will rotate in neutral. That is normal.

Depending on which transmission model you have, the Velvet Drive may be similar in dimensions to the Paragon. Maybe not.

Paragon is no longer made and some parts are hard to get. Velvet Drive is still being made and all parts are available for 71c and 72c models.

Tags
transmission