Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 12:56   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Thanks Gord.
That would indicate my idea of reducing the connections and complication in the main engine fuel line will not work.
Does the book explain why?
The only concern I can see is the problem of introducing unfiltered fuel, but in my system the fuel used to prime via the outlet has already passed through the Raycor 500 filter, which would remove this concern.

There is a check valve ball inside of the Racor 500, 900 & 1000 models that is intended to prevent fuel flowing backward through it.

This is the check valve from a Racor 500 turbine filter.
Old 04-10-2010, 13:38   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
There is a check valve ball inside of the Racor 500, 900 & 1000 models that is intended to prevent fuel flowing backward through it.
As I understand it the check valve prevents fuel flowing out of the filter from the inlet back to the tank.
I want to pump fuel back up the outlet (with the lid off) to fill the filter up with fuel after a filter change and/or clean. So the check valve should not cause any problems unless I am missing something.
(Great photo of the check valve BTW its nice to see the inside of these things)
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 14:14   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
As I understand it the check valve prevents fuel flowing out of the filter from the inlet back to the tank.
I want to pump fuel back up the outlet (with the lid off) to fill the filter up with fuel after a filter change and/or clean. So the check valve should not cause any problems unless I am missing something.
(Great photo of the check valve BTW its nice to see the inside of these things)
You may have a tough time priming an empty filter with the lid off. If you are sucking through the filter via "in" to "out" it should work fine provided the lid is on and sealed but it would be tough to create a vacuum with the lid off..
Old 04-10-2010, 14:31   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Quote:
You may have a tough time priming an empty filter with the lid off. If you are sucking through the filter via "in" to "out" it should work fine provided the lid is on and sealed but it would be tough to create a vacuum with the lid off..
The idea is to use a fuel pump (electric or primer bulb) to pump fuel in through the Raycor "outlet".
The fuel is entering under pressure not a vacuum. Its pumped not sucked. So the Raycor filter should fill with the lid off.

This is not what is normally done so it is a bit confusing. The fact that it is not normally done like this makes me think there may be some snag I am not seeing, but sometimes some lateral thinking gives rise to a better solution.
By eliminating connectors and pumps in the main engine fuel line it does have some real advantages, but only if it works.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 16:34   #20

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Keep in mind that there are no fuel bulbs that I know of that currently meet the standards for below deck applications. If you are comfortable with that, and you think your insurance company would also be comfortable, then they can certainly work. Parker/Racor makes and priming device that can be added to the turbine filters which may also be an option. Facet also makes some excellent fuel pumps that can be had for $35.00-$60.00 US.

I bought a spare Purolator/Facet Pro-42S (LINK) for just over $40.00... This is the SAME pump Westerbeke uses on my engine, part # 39275, and they sell for $196.68...
Thanks for that.

I have a 30 B Three.

Hmmm....spare?.....sounds good.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 17:47   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Thread drift...

my fuel tank is in the keel so I must pull from near the bottom with a dip tube. I'd like to add an electric fuel pump to be able to prime the system. I will have about 4' or 5' of head from the bottom of the tank pickup to the racor. The engine fuel pump obviously handles this fine. Do I need a heavy duty fuel pump to manage?

This? FACET ELECTRIC FUEL PUMPS from Aircraft Spruce
40105 or 40106 Facet pump?
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote