Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2019, 10:28   #1

Question primary filters in parallel

The primary filter element has the bad habit to plug itself with contaminants just when the boat is entering in port after a rough passage.
Is it possible to install in parallel another primary filter to be used in emergency bypassing the clogged one ?
Tank outlet>3 way valve>inlet filter 1 and filter 2>filters >outlet filter 1 and filter 2>3way valve> outlet to the engine.( Of course lines ,filters and valves vented).
Thank you.
rubino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 11:29   #2

Re: primary filters in parallel

Yes, of course this is easily built just as you have stated.

Or you can purchase the exact same thing factory built from Racor with valves, vacuum gauge, etc. I think the smallest they build with twin filters is the Racor 500, and it goes up from there.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 11:51   #3

Yes, In fact that's how I did my boat rather than series. Small 3 way valves make it easy to go to/from either filter. I had no fuel/tank issues but you never know when you may get some bad fuel in the third world...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 12:16   #4

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

What Doug said. A duplex filter system could save you from catastrophe. And you don't have to shut down your engine to change filters. I highly recommend it. Another good upgrade is a differential pressure guage. This accurately tells the difference in pressure between inlet and outlet, and gives you some advance warning as the filter element begins to get dirty.
Old 31-01-2019, 12:42   #5

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=1716450

is exactly what you're asking about - if you have the space (and money).

I didn't have the space, so I put smth like this together with the various components living wherever I could put them (not too far away from each other). also I installed a lift pump just past one of them, so this is my polishing circuit now - good to run it when in rough weather, then the muck goes there, and not into the one feeding the engine. but I can switch between the two if I have to.

Anton
antoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:15   #6

thanks to everybody.Your advicesand opinion have ben precious. thank you again.
rubino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:33   #7

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

2 racers with a switching valve set up is great. You can buy razor knockoffs on amazon? for 50 bucks.

Just make sure to use a high quality biocide in your tank(s) every time you fill. That's your 1st line of defense, keeping the little buggers from growing to begin with.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:37   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I use a dual filter Racor system, rather than sitting dead in the water changing out a fuel filter. If you do get the dual system, get one with a water level alarm and a remote vacuum gauge. Knowing both is important.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:39   #9

And be sure and install a Racor or other suitable vacuum guage so you can tell when a filter is beginning to get dirty. A single guage T’d prior to the lift pump will give an indication of the condition of either your filters.
rms95835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:52   #10

10 micron or 2 micron?
Old 01-02-2019, 08:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowjacket View Post
10 micron or 2 micron?
2 micron
Old 01-02-2019, 08:58   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I use a dual filter Racor system, rather than sitting dead in the water changing out a fuel filter. If you do get the dual system, get one with a water level alarm and a remote vacuum gauge. Knowing both is important.
Water alarms not so good for sailboats as when they heel over, you get erroneous readings. I check the engine room every couple of hours underway.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:00   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms95835 View Post
And be sure and install a Racor or other suitable vacuum guage so you can tell when a filter is beginning to get dirty. A single guage T’d prior to the lift pump will give an indication of the condition of either your filters.
Gauge is handy for sure. If you don't have one and you go from cruise throttle to wide open and the engine lags or won't go up to max then your filter is getting plugged.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:03   #14

If you are running a small cube engine an industrial size filter will probably not clog because it will have far more flow capacity than you require. They are also made in various filter particle size and filtration media. The caveat is what do you have room far.

Small engines do not have to have small filters like Racor / CVA stuff. Think Detroit Diesel 60 sized filters on a Yanmar 3T75HA and it will probably not get clogged in normal situations. Wixfilters.com has a mounting head for a DD filter so you can easily get it plumbed into the fuel system.
Free flowing filtered diesel fuel!
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:27   #15
Marine Service Provider

If you do what you have suggested, and what others have agreed, you might want to switch to that clean filter when approaching land after a butt-kicking at sea. Then clean or change both filters once moored. Then get your fuel polished and/or tanks cleaned.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote