Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2015, 10:05   #1

Boat: Endurance 35
Possible starter motor issues

Hi, we seem to have an issue, on occasions (more than often) we go to start the engine and all we get is a Click sound and a engine refuses to turn over as if the battery is flat, which is isn't, then she slowly turns and then fires up.. Any suggestion as to the cause would be greatly appreciated...

Julian
JulianGullsway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:15   #2

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46
Re: Possible starter motor issues

Sounds like corrosion around battery cables, starter cables, ignition switch contacts. Start with battery cables and work till you find it. sometimes feel around these areas you will find the culprit to be hotter because of increased resistance under load.
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:37   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I agree, most likely an issue upstream of the starter. In addition, a starter solenoid with damaged/corroded contacts can cause similar symptoms.

Don't forget to load test the battery too.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:43   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

If you are getting the click when you turn the key then the solenoid is engaging but the hi amp contacts in the solenoid could be bad or, as previous answer, loose or corroded cables from battery to the starter.

Since it is cheap, quick and easy I would first recommend checking all the cables from battery to starter for tight connection, corrosion, etc. Don't forget to check both sides, + and - ground cables.

If that isn't the problem have you tried or do you know how to jump the starter directly from the battery? If that sounds like Greek to you then might be time to call a pro and spend some money.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:53   #5

I would start there also. Clean all cable ends. Especially watch for the ground to the engine block which is often poor contact anyway.. or oily.
Your symptoms indicate not enough voltage getting to the starter to turn it. Although that may not be the only potential issue.
Do you know how to jump the starter into action with a screwdriver? That will help tell you if the cables are not it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:56   #6

Boat: Irwin sloop

I've had to deal with the same problem. The culprit was a poorly crimped cable terminal on the starter ground cable. Others have mentioned the problem area will get warm, it does get warm enough to smoke sometimes so take care if you must feel terminals you cant see. You are on the right track though.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 13:13   #7

I had this issue on my Harley, about 2 weeks ago, it was a bugger to figure out. It turned out one of the battery connectors was touching the frame. I agree, bad connection or a short. It might be more obvious than you think. Start with putting a wrench on your battery connections and tighten them up a little.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 04:23   #8

Boat: Endurance 35

Hi, thanks for all your advice, I love it when things are so simple to fix, it turned out to be a slightly loose connection the the battery terminal, but I cleaned all the contacts on both the starter motor and all other connections and it's now working just fine.....

Thanks again to all of you x
JulianGullsway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:17   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Congratulations and thanks for letting us know how it worked out. Always curious to find out the results.

Comes back to the basic rules of fixing stuff. Always try the obvious and easy solutions first. In electrical, especially on a boat, that means check for loose or corroded connections. 98.473% of the time that will solve the problem.

The other 1.527% of the time an electrical problem is because smoke leaked out of a part.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:30   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianGullsway View Post
Hi, thanks for all your advice, I love it when things are so simple to fix, it turned out to be a slightly loose connection the the battery terminal, but I cleaned all the contacts on both the starter motor and all other connections and it's now working just fine.....

Thanks again to all of you x
Awesome. I think its neet when cf members can accurately diagnose a guys problem and help him get it fixed without him dropping $300 on a mechanic. Good stuff.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor