Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2020, 06:31   #31

Boat: 1984 Nor'Sea27
Re: Please name this Fiberglass structure used in place of "Stringers" for engine mou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanderbucks View Post
Im not too excited about recommending keeping the original setup. The pan or tub portion seems pretty flimsy and the engine weight does not seem to be supported directly by any heavy structure. The engine mounts are not supported by anything solid.
I would ditch the molded tub and remove the paint along the sides of the real stringers just outboard where the pan fastens. Square up the surfaces with fiberglass Ind wood if needed. Then have either two long or 4 Shorter aluminum right angle mounts bolted in place. These are often made from 1/2 thick alum
Then put your engine mounts through bolted to the new aluminum brackets.

Much more solid and leaves you access to the new replacement tank in the future.

Examples of these types of mounts are shown for powerboat applications at Seaboard Marine ( submarine.com )

Thanks, I think what you are describing is what was on every boat I owned thus far; glassed timbers.

And I would Jerry rig angle iron to improve the lag screw, i think that is what you are suggesting.

The structure is not flimsy. It is 3/4" of fiberglass. (thicker in the pan but likely cored with ply) I am very impressed with it. My guess is it was installed to let water from the stuffing box make its way over the tank to the bilge. But in addition it looks to be very stout and distribute the mass of the engine over far more surface area.
cadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 06:32   #32

Boat: 1984 Nor'Sea27
Re: Please name this Fiberglass structure used in place of "Stringers" for engine mou

I am late for work but look forward to responding to the other nice comments left here as soon as I return. Thanks
cadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 11:08   #33

"The structure is not flimsy. It is 3/4" of fiberglass. (thicker in the pan but likely cored with ply) I am very impressed with it. My guess is it was installed to let water from the stuffing box make its way over the tank to the bilge. But in addition it looks to be very stout and distribute the mass of the engine over far more surface area."

Good to hear. But given how easy it is to make the stringers bear on the hull, I would still do that.
Grey Goat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, fiberglass, lease