Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2020, 07:37   #16

Re: Plastic Diesel Fuel Tank

Isn't the fuel gauge hole about 1.5-2" diameter? If so, you could have your fuel polished and tank pressure cleaned by them. Depending on the type of tank, I don't think adding a cleanout for access is out of the question either.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 07:58   #17
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issywa View Post
can I add access panel(s) into the plastic tank that wont leak?

take a look at the seabuilt access plates.

gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 08:56   #18

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

You can add an inspection hatch to your roto moulded ďplasticĒ tank without a problem. I fitted an inspection hatch from Tek Tanks in the UK. When I met the president of the company at the Mets fair in Amsterdam he mentioned that they abandoned rubber/ silicon/other gasket materials because of all the stuff refineries added to fuel in the last years. They now only use cork gaskets.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 11:29   #19

Boat: Beneteau 373 '06

Rightly or wrongly, Iíve decided to hire someone to clean the tank and polish the fuel. Cost is about $450 and it seems to me that by the time I buy a couple of hatches, dispose of the waste etc, Iím not that much ahead.

Obviously I wonít have hatches for future use but I donít plan on needing them. Iím going to implement a rigorous biocide program and stay on top of filter changes.

As A64 suggested, Iím also going to delete the inlet strainer and extend the pick up to the bottom of the tank. Since I donít have a better location for the primary filter, I probably will also add a vacuum gauge to facilitate monitoring as access to primary filter is a PITA.

Thanks all for your comments - Iíll report back when this ďGong ShowĒ is over.
Issywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 11:39   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If possible be there when they do the work. Ask questions, take pictures, I’d be curious about the filter and pump used.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 15:53   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
You can add an inspection hatch to your roto moulded ďplasticĒ tank without a problem. I fitted an inspection hatch from Tek Tanks in the UK. When I met the president of the company at the Mets fair in Amsterdam he mentioned that they abandoned rubber/ silicon/other gasket materials because of all the stuff refineries added to fuel in the last years. They now only use cork gaskets.
Yeah, I discovered that quite a while back. The rubber wants to squeeze out as you tighten. I used a cork that is rubber impregnated for fuel. Worked great.

Old 31-05-2020, 15:54   #22

Quote:
Rightly or wrongly, Iíve decided to hire someone to clean the tank and polish the fuel. Cost is about $450 and it seems to me that by the time I buy a couple of hatches, dispose of the waste etc, Iím not that much ahead.

Obviously I wonít have hatches for future use but I donít plan on needing them. Iím going to implement a rigorous biocide program and stay on top of filter changes.

As A64 suggested, Iím also going to delete the inlet strainer and extend the pick up to the bottom of the tank. Since I donít have a better location for the primary filter, I probably will also add a vacuum gauge to facilitate monitoring as access to primary filter is a PITA.

Thanks all for your comments - Iíll report back when this ďGong ShowĒ is over.
Wow, it's gotten fairly expensive. I had it done in Seattle but 20 years ago.

Old 31-05-2020, 16:13   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Wow, it's gotten fairly expensive. I had it done in Seattle but 20 years ago.
I was thinking that too, we spent I think about $150, but that now that I’m thinking about it was probably early 90’s and it was Carrabelle Fl where everything costs less, or used to anyway.
Part of getting old I guess
If I’m remembering right the guy didn’t have a pressure washer type of spray nozzle, it had what looked like a brass ball on the end of it and the ball had several holes that sprayed in all directions. It’s part of why I’m wondering what this system will be.
Our guy had his on what looked like a big hand truck and recirculated the fuel. The pump and filter was on the hand truck of course.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 16:22   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I was thinking that too, we spent I think about $150, but that now that Iím thinking about it was probably early 90ís and it was Carrabelle Fl where everything costs less, or used to anyway.
Part of getting old I guess
If Iím remembering right the guy didnít have a pressure washer type of spray nozzle, it had what looked like a brass ball on the end of it and the ball had several holes that sprayed in all directions. Itís part of why Iím wondering what this system will be.
Our guy had his on what looked like a big hand truck and recirculated the fuel. The pump and filter was on the hand truck of course.
Yeah, I think maybe $200 and a bit but 20 years ago.

Old 03-06-2020, 00:20   #25

Boat: Beneteau 373 '06

Thought Iíd close out my post with a comment on the tank cleaning. It went well- sort of...

Immediately after starting to empty the tank, the guys commented on how ďclearĒ the diesel looked. Shortly afterward it became apparent that there was gas in the tank.

A couple of weeks earlier I had filled the 33 gallon tank by adding 24.5 gallons of what I thought was diesel. At the time, the fuel attendant asked what type of fuel I wanted and I replied ďdieselĒ. Unfortunately he handed my wife the gas nozzle and I only looked and saw a green hose but failed to notice that the handle wasnít green. I know this because I went back to look at the pump.

Moral of the story - always double check and verify the fuel! Although the attendant handed us the wrong hose, I think itís my responsibility to verify as ultimately I pumped the fuel.

Iíll start a new thread to comment on the outcome of what happens when you run a diesel for 7 hours on a mixture of 3:1 gas to diesel.
Issywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 00:34   #26

Boat: Lancer 36

This thread just took a drastic turn! 7 hours?!
OloteleMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 00:42   #27

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Quote:
Thought Iíd close out my post with a comment on the tank cleaning. It went well- sort of...

Immediately after starting to empty the tank, the guys commented on how ďclearĒ the diesel looked. Shortly afterward it became apparent that there was gas in the tank.

A couple of weeks earlier I had filled the 33 gallon tank by adding 24.5 gallons of what I thought was diesel. At the time, the fuel attendant asked what type of fuel I wanted and I replied ďdieselĒ. Unfortunately he handed my wife the gas nozzle and I only looked and saw a green hose but failed to notice that the handle wasnít green. I know this because I went back to look at the pump.

Moral of the story - always double check and verify the fuel! Although the attendant handed us the wrong hose, I think itís my responsibility to verify as ultimately I pumped the fuel.

Iíll start a new thread to comment on the outcome of what happens when you run a diesel for 7 hours on a mixture of 3:1 gas to diesel.
Crazy with all the filter changing you did as well as removal of pickup you didnít smell gas.......

Good luck!
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 03:52   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

I think the attendant has to take most responsibility if you definitely asked for diesel.
I feel your pain.
I'm surprised the engine ran for 7 hrs, thought it would be making a fair racket ( noise)
but I await the new thread.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel, fuel tank