Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2013, 16:28   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Placement of engine controls

Hello Cruisers,

Our recently purchased Swanson has a single lever throttle/gearbox control, located down at foot level on the inside of the cockpit, at the rear left corner. We have a pedestal mounted steering wheel in the middle of the cockpit.

I find the system works ok, except when you are getting in and out of the pen, when it is a bit of a struggle to reach down to the lever while swinging the wheel. I've had a bit of success using my feet to operate the lever, but it's hardly ideal.

I feel something should be possible with the center pedestal, although I can see that reaching through the wheel could be a problem.

So, I am curious to know how people have setup their engine controls and what they have found works best for them. Any suggestions or photos would be very welcome.

Matt
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 16:48   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Placement of engine controls

Our pedestal controls failed/broke wore out and we switched to controls down in the cockpit. Flopping fish have landed on them and shoved the power to full and I have tripped over them etc. So not so good sometimes but I have learned to use my foot to control things and that works pretty well. Switching to another system is a pretty big deal so learning to live with what you have is the way to go. I did install a guard to prevent the tripping problem but the fish still have managed to get thru..
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 16:59   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I don't have a photo handy, but a previous boat had a seperate shifter and throttle, and I liked it that way. The throttle was just a little tiny lever mounted up on the pedestal that was easy to reach and control, while the shifter was mounted down in the cockpit on the face of one of the seats. I could easily use my foot to flop the shifter one way or the other without the worry of also goosing the throttle to the moon. Plus, both controls were very simple and robust, so there was less to go wrong.
Old 21-02-2013, 17:03   #4

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

If you have an Edson pedestal, you might check out their single lever system that mounts onto it. It's very easy for newbies to learn to use: push the lever in the direction you want to go. Pushing more makes it go faster. There's a little button if you want to run it faster in neutral.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1660-silo.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	55409  
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 18:06   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
If you have an Edson pedestal, you might check out their single lever system that mounts onto it. It's very easy for newbies to learn to use: push the lever in the direction you want to go. Pushing more makes it go faster. There's a little button if you want to run it faster in neutral.
Hmmm... yes we have an Edson pedestal (or similar). That photo makes me think of putting a smaller wheel on the pedestal and mounting the controls in the way pictured.
Old 21-02-2013, 18:24   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I don't have a photo handy, but a previous boat had a seperate shifter and throttle, and I liked it that way. The throttle was just a little tiny lever mounted up on the pedestal that was easy to reach and control, while the shifter was mounted down in the cockpit on the face of one of the seats. I could easily use my foot to flop the shifter one way or the other without the worry of also goosing the throttle to the moon. Plus, both controls were very simple and robust, so there was less to go wrong.
Certainly file this as an option. I can see how it might improve the current arrangement.
Old 21-02-2013, 22:02   #7

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

GILow, It's pretty simple to install and operate while standing up at the helm, or seated.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine