Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2020, 11:34   #1

pitting on engine

I have a 33 ft Hunter sailboat with a fairly new (360 hours) Vetus 3.09 diesel engine.
Lately I've noticed some pitting on the heat exchanger housing. There are two small eruptions that don't go all the way through the aluminum housing, but they are getting bigger. The gray material (aluminum?) can be easily wiped off but they come back. Could there be an electrolysis issue here? Any thoughts or fixes?
thanks,
Stan
stanirvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:22   #2

Re: pitting on engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanirvin View Post
I have a 33 ft Hunter sailboat with a fairly new (360 hours) Vetus 3.09 diesel engine.
Lately I've noticed some pitting on the heat exchanger housing. There are two small eruptions that don't go all the way through the aluminum housing, but they are getting bigger. The gray material (aluminum?) can be easily wiped off but they come back. Could there be an electrolysis issue here? Any thoughts or fixes?
thanks,
Stan
Yes there could also be galvanic corrosion, check the condition of its sacrificial anode.

https://www.marinedieselbasics.com/m...changer-anode/

A bit confused though, is the pitting that you are referencing on the outside [air side] or the water side of the housing?

Background reference for aluminum pitting.

https://aluminium-guide.com/en/toche...ya-alyuminiya/
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 13:02   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

No. It is not "electrolysis". Electrolysis is a different process entirely and does not occur on boats. No one trained in Marine Corrosion would use that term.

It is possible that it is galvanic corrosion that is being enhanced by a low qualtiy casting with occlusions. that would account for the aluminum oxide (white powder). What is the condition of the anode in the heat exchanger ?

There is a remote chance that it could be stray current causing the corrosion but would need a lot more info and phots to make what could only be a guess without testing.

You might want to contact an ABYC Certified Corrosion technichian to track down the issue.

... retired Certified Marine Corrosion Analyst.
Old 08-09-2020, 13:10   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Probably impurities in the casting. Aluminum can be welded, do it before it goes all the way thru.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 14:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Yes there could also be galvanic corrosion, check the condition of its sacrificial anode.

https://www.marinedieselbasics.com/m...changer-anode/

A bit confused though, is the pitting that you are referencing on the outside [air side] or the water side of the housing?

Background reference for aluminum pitting.

https://aluminium-guide.com/en/toche...ya-alyuminiya/
The pitting is on the outside (air side) of the aluminum cover.
Old 08-09-2020, 14:38   #6

The pitting is on the outside of the aluminum cover. The gray material is wet, not a powder. The pits are probably 1/16" deep. Iv'e tried aluminum weld but it eventually falls out due I think to the vibration of the engine. I change the prop shaft anode regularly, but if there is an engine anode, I cant find it. Is it likely there is one in the heat exchanger?
thanks again,
Stan
Old 08-09-2020, 15:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Probably impurities in the casting. Aluminum can be welded, do it before it goes all the way thru.
How is it possible to weld around an engine without the risk of fire from fuel?
Would I need to remove the heat exchanger to do that?
thanks,
Stan
Old 08-09-2020, 16:02   #8

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

It would seem to me that you have a casting with porosity defects. You can't fix it with an in situ repair, imo. It needs to be removed, cleaned and welded (or braze) repaired.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 16:26   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanirvin View Post
The pitting is on the outside of the aluminum cover. The gray material is wet, not a powder. The pits are probably 1/16" deep. Iv'e tried aluminum weld but it eventually falls out due I think to the vibration of the engine. I change the prop shaft anode regularly, but if there is an engine anode, I cant find it. Is it likely there is one in the heat exchanger?
thanks again,
Stan
Most heat exchangers do have one or more anodes (mine has two).

Tags
engine