Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 05:09   #31

re: Petrol to BMW diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcruiser View Post
There in now,

Sent from my HTC One S using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Good day,

I see you bought these engines from carl, I was looking at his offerings but cannot find much in the way of positive feedback from previous buyers, as you have had these for a couple of years, perhaps you could comment on how yours have performed.

Many thanks
g-c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:55   #32

re: Petrol to BMW diesel

Hi,hes been very helpful,havent seen any negative reports anywhere.
Been a year asking questions and planing.
Im an engineer so mods to mounts etc wasnt a problem but when i brought these carl only does engine marinisation and if required at cost mounting to your output bell housing etc.
Hope this helps

wmcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:41   #33

Re: Petrol to BMW diesel

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

I was hoping that as you had them 2 years ago that you had got some use out of them in your boat by now, but sounds like not at that stage yet.

As they are a modified car engine, I was wondering about the real life use/performance onboard a boat. Wth the 2.5tds intercooled car engine giving about 141hp (260/280 Nm) and the marinised version giving 150hp they seem a reasonable option to go with a sterndrive (many diesels probably wreck sterndrives because of too much torque). The car engine rated at 141hp at 4600/4800rpm and the marined version quoted at 150hp at 4800rpm isn't pushing the engine much, although I realise that quoted car figures are "at best" and cars are not normally run at max rpm for any length of time and I am sure heat would be an issue if these engines were run at 4800rpm for any length of time, perhaps 3900/4100rpm being a more realistic maximum for any length of time.

I am just guessing that running these in a boat situation with engine more heavily loaded should be OK in the 2700-3400rpm sort of range (perhaps 100-130hp) with 3800rpm (perhaps 135hp) maximum for short periods, otherwise heat issues may occur.

Not sure what to make of torque as quoted maximum torque of 260/280 Nm for 2.5tds is given for 2200rpm, however, Dyno dynamics graphical result appears to show similar maximum torque but at around 3000rpm.

I believe that the exhaust manifold is a standard car type and not marinised, I guess that the alternator and starter motor are also standard car engine parts, therefore I would presume that engine internals (valve seats/heads, cam shaft etc are also standard car parts) and no marinised thrust bearing, therefore care must be taken with these engines in a boat situation not to stress them too much, hence the lower guesstimate of useable rpm range for use in a boat.

So, much of the above is just guesswork and I was looking to see if you had real world engine in boat experience, just to confirm (or abuse) theory that 2700-3400 rpm (probably with maximum torque of about 280Nm around 3000rpm) giving about 100-130hp was realistic.

Obviously these marinised engines are old engines from cars and as such output figures are probably somewhat less than when new, however, as older more basic indirect injection engine, may last well if treated correctly and maintained well. Also as they were used in BMW/Omega/Range Rover cars, spares are probably readily available.

Many thanks.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:47   #34

You answered you own question there.
I have a heavy cruiser and plan 2600-3200rpm so well within design limits.
These have been fitted to lots of boats not just this marinisation version.
Some are on youtube but not obvious to find.
Before installing i researched with other people that use them with little trouble,got friend that runs 4x4 garage and sort advise on spec etc.
Many automotive engines have been marinised with no problems over many years.
As for drives vp280 drives have vp AD41 fitted to them as new and many are still running so torque not an issue.
Good luck with your project.

Old 04-12-2014, 15:33   #35

Boat: Princess 32

Dont suppose anyone knows if 270 legs could cope with these engines? Thats whats fitted to mine thats all!

g-c-m ... What do you mean by lack of maranised thrust bearing?

Thanks
Ian_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 20:24   #36

Hi wmcruiser,

Thank you for the reply.

My apologies, I was looking at your "joining" date which was about 2 years ago, I now see that you have only recently got your engines, in which case, I hope all goes well and look forward to hearing how you get on with them.

Hi Ian-D,

I won't comment on the 270 drive compatability as I don't know, it is really the sort of answer I was looking for.

The thrust from prop has to get into your boat hull somehow, otherwise the hull won't move, traditionally on large diesels this would be on the prop shaft thrust bearing/block, however, on smaller engines maybe this is transmitted up the shaft to gearbox/engine meaning improved bearings may be required. However, I am not sure but think that sterndrive units have some form of flexible coupling and they are mounted onto a transom bracket, which may mean that as well as allowing for flexible engine mounts to reduce engine vibration transmission to hull, the thrust may be transmitted through sterndrive mount to hull. Not sure about this though, so don;t quote me.
Old 04-12-2014, 22:24   #37

The bell housing and drive plate have been retained and these are 280 drives which allow for bigger diesels at the time and came with sp or dp.
Engines isolated by engine mounts and mount on transom shield.
If you go to Volvo penta site info can be downloaded or if you have the service manuals.

Sent from my V719_3G_CORE4 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 04-12-2014, 22:29   #38

Hi gcm, started off on site with 23ft sports cruiser which we put small diesel in.
Moved up to bigger boat as a project last year.
Will keep you posted of trials mid January, full survey completed so just cosmetics to go,weather permitting.

Sent from my V719_3G_CORE4 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 15-01-2015, 09:55   #39

Re: Petrol to BMW Diesel

Hi wmcruiser,

Thank you very much for the response.

Look forward to hearing about your sea-trials.

Hope you get some good weather in January.
Old 17-02-2015, 04:59   #40

Boat: Princess 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-c-m View Post
Hi wmcruiser,
the thrust may be transmitted through sterndrive mount to hull. Not sure about this though, so don;t quote me.
Thats correct! Hence no need for the thrust bearing.

wmcruiser... whats happening, I cant wait any longer for an update!!!

The suspense is killing me!
Ian_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 01:05   #41

Hi all.
Well we ran trials and repitched props.
Done 4 hrs trials no problems.
Set off from uk last week for a good trial to france calais and are currently at harnes near lens north france.
Aiming south to med for one off trip for next 18months.
So far very good.at high spoed plently if power 11hrs total since install and rest at 6-8kts in canals 26hrs.
Only problem was one injector leak of pipe came off (replaced set now as original) and rope round prop outside ramsgate so very pleased.

Old 19-02-2015, 01:10   #42

Crossing english channel last wednesday to calais france

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1424336938393.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	97416  
Old 19-02-2015, 01:11   #43

Canal de calais

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1424337091816.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	97417  
Old 19-02-2015, 01:13   #44

Will keep posted off engines and how they go.
So far 35l/hr at 15kts and fumes on canals.
Boat 10m and 7500kg loaded plus two crew.

Old 19-02-2015, 04:35   #45

Hi wmcruiser,

Thank you very much for the update, much appreciated, you must have been busy planning and getting ready for this trip for a while. Hope the Med will be on its best behaviour for you, can sometimes get quite nasty quite quickly, when all looked splendid just a few hours ago. Watch out for the south/north runners and I think I would avoid the Eastern Med at the moment! I am sure there are some good cocktail hour deals around at the moment in southern Spain and France, hope you have an enjoyable (but uneventful) trip.

You said that your planned rpm range for cruising/self imposed maximum on these engines was 2600-3200rpm, am I right to assume that 15kts on 10m 7.5t boat is at the upper end of that scale, 3200rpm both engines at 35ltr/h works out as just under 2mpg, which is probably reasonable for that size boat.

Regards

Tags
diesel