Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2016, 09:35   #1

Perkins Starter

I have a Perkins 4108 diesel engine. The starter spins up but fails to engage and spin the engine. Does the starter need replacement or just the solenoid/Bendix?
Seadoc777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 09:38   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: Perkins Starter

Time to take the starter out and have it overhauled.
Probably no more than $120.00.
I did that and bought a new but much smaller starter for my 4-108, and used the old, big and freshly overhauled starter for an on-board spare.
Old 20-01-2016, 10:42   #3

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Remove the starter and check the ring gear on the flywheel also. Make sure you turn it a full revolution to inspect all of it.
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 10:44   #4
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Meh thinks you may be in the wrong section: This is tech support for sure, but for the forum, not for Diesel engines:-)
Old 20-01-2016, 10:49   #5

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadoc777 View Post
I have a Perkins 4108 diesel engine. The starter spins up but fails to engage and spin the engine. Does the starter need replacement or just the solenoid/Bendix?
It is rather unlikely the whole starter motor will need to be replaced, especially as the starter spins up as you say. They are fairly easily serviced and you should perhaps try to do this yourself. Doing so will allow you to become very familiar with your own starter motor and as they are often very similar, with starter motors in general. If you have a solenoid motor it does sound like the solenoid is either sticking or not engaging at all. It may be it just needs to be cleaned. If it is an inertial bendix it is likely that it just needs to be cleaned. I attach photos of an inertial bendix starter motor repair which was actually due to a burned out actuator wire. I had to do this repair in the Tuamotu islands far from any technical assistance and so found, as usual, that my greatest tool was a digital camera, which is like a breadcrumb trail: photograph each step of the process and it will be easy to follow the path back.

Solenoids can sometimes stick due to corrosion or dirt so may not in fact need replacement.

Most Perkins Bendixes I have come across loosen in a clockwise direction by the way. And if you decide to do it yourselve and service the motor while you are at it, just remember that when you remove the spline and rotor you will likely have a shower of little ballbearings which are held in place by the spline. Replacing these can be tricky but is achieved by sticking each one back in place with a dab of grease before replacing the spline.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bendix end detail prior to cleaning and service.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	117144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Beginning disassembly.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	117145  

Name:	Removing rotor.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	117146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bendix end prior to actuator wire fix and cleaning.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	117147  

Name:	Burned out actuator wire.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	117148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cleaned bendix end assembly.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	117149  

Name:	Repair done to actuator wire.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	117150   Click image for larger version

Name:	spline and rotor post cleaning.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	117151  

Name:	Brushes post cleaning.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	117152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mess from cleaning rotor and brushes.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	117153  

Name:	Bendix end reassembly.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	117154  
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 11:25   #6

I should have mentioned that the inertial bendix starter motor pictured above is for a Perkins (M90) 4236
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 20-01-2016, 12:01   #7

Quote:
Oh, and I just realised: Welcome to CF!
Old 20-01-2016, 16:55   #8

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Failure modes are solenoid inop, ring gear stripped, pinion stripped or pinion lever / pivot pin broken.

If you energise the solenoid does it clunk? Indicating pinion engaged.

If you rotate the crank to allow the pinion to engage with a different part of the flywheel ring gear is there any change?

If you remove the solenoid can you manually engage the pinion with the ring gear?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 18:06   #9

Boat: 51' Formosa Cutter Rigged Ketch

Great info and responses above. I also looked to rebuild mine, but in the end found that an aftermarket one new (no core charge) was about $130-150. I figured at that price, I would replace it new and in the end I am glad I did. I will still likely have the other rebuilt or rebuild it myself as a spare.

We ended up writing a couple of blog posts and also doing a 2 part video on our youtube channel on how to replace it, with close up videos, troubleshooting as well as adding a remote start button in the engine room.

Hopefully you find it useful.
Here is a link to the video on our Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlwpbgibX_O-K0qoJFcCVlxK8ETIBXgG_

Part 1 - Blog Post - Removing and troubleshooting
Part 2 - Blog Post - Replacing and remote start
glhotka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:06   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

always have a spare and here in mexico i had my original perkie starter rebuillt for 300 pesos. so, if you plan on cruising, keep your old dead starter as it is rebuildable when you are not in usa. i was told my original was not rebuildable, but i had it rebuilt in a remote locale near barra de navidad. . not rebuildable is the lazy mans way out of doing this and selling new stuff or someone else's used stuff......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins