Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2016, 16:54   #1

Perkins Prima M50 Starter Problem

Hello Everyone,

I hope to get some guidance on a starter issue I am having. My Perkins Prima M50 starter died, and when seeing the price on an OEM, $700 on up, I made the decision to go to a local alternator & starter shop. Before you pounce too hard, I know the local repair guys use this shop, as well as, the DIY'ers, so obviously, marine is in their vocabulary, and experience. They did not rebuild my unit, they made a "new to me" one.

While I saved significantly, I have also had the problem of the starter seeming to spin out, and on closer inspection, I am questioning if I am getting the correct throw for engagement? The leading edge of the flywheel is showing wear, and full contact measures 2" while the throw on the unit is 1.25".

As I write this, I am thinking that "unfortunately" I have never had a starter problem with cars I have owned, and a Prima M50 seems as though it is a pretty exotic engine for my experience.

I would really appreciate thoughts, insights and opinions.

Thank you
laswack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins