Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2022, 19:12   #1

Boat: South Coast 36
Perkins Prima 50

Hi All,

I shut my Perkins Prima 50 down, with the stop button 2 days ago, every thing has been running normal and fine,

Any ideas why it will not start today,

It turns over very well and smooth, and has a full tank of juice,

Kind Regards

Shane
Sea Scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 21:10   #2

Boat: Hylas 44
Re: Perkins Prima 50

I made 4000 hours + on identical engine, one of the best I ever had. Chances are that you have air in your fuel lines. Try purging the filters and the injectors and make sure all fittings related to the fuel inlet lines are free of leaks.
Usually this kind of engine start easily. For your information, this engine is identical to the Volvo MD22.
Northbound44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 00:42   #3

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

One of the more common reasons a diesel won't start after shutdown is that the fuel shutoff remains stuck in the shutdown position. No fuel can get to the injectors from the pump. Worth checking.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 03:36   #4

Thanks Cherp,

But not the shut off Solenoid, I pulled it out and checked it,
It stays in the open position on the Perkins Prima 50, and the spring that hold the plunger in the open position is all good and working. So stop switch can be ruled out.
Old 09-03-2022, 03:45   #5

Hi Northbound, I bought to new fuel filters today and will be changing them out tomorrow, and will check all fuel line and fittings then as you mentioned,
There were no signs of leaks or loss fitting, in 8 years she has never failed,
Thanks for your input, I’m going to renew all the lines and fittings after I change out the filters and try and start it .
Old 24-03-2022, 15:51   #6

Hi turns out that I could not find anything actually wrong with the engine, I pulled the stop solenoid out and put it back,
Changed the fuel filters, the water trap filter was pretty dirty, but no signs of water (which was a plus).
I then hooked up a fuel line from a jerry can direct into the injector pump, started first kick,
then the fuel lift pump started pumping fuel out, which was a plus as well,
I shut the engine down, and hooked the fuel system back up, and hit the key and off she went again,
I got no idea why it didn’t start, and it has been starting every day now for a week or so,
At least I no a bit more about the engine I spouse, and will be changing the fuel filters more often, as that’s all I can really think if being the cause.

Thanks for your input
Old 25-03-2022, 05:58   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Scamp View Post
Hi turns out that I could not find anything actually wrong with the engine, I pulled the stop solenoid out and put it back,
Changed the fuel filters, the water trap filter was pretty dirty, but no signs of water (which was a plus).
I then hooked up a fuel line from a jerry can direct into the injector pump, started first kick,
then the fuel lift pump started pumping fuel out, which was a plus as well,
I shut the engine down, and hooked the fuel system back up, and hit the key and off she went again,
I got no idea why it didnít start, and it has been starting every day now for a week or so,
At least I no a bit more about the engine I spouse, and will be changing the fuel filters more often, as thatís all I can really think if being the cause.

Thanks for your input

The last time I saw a similar problem, I found that the little strainer inside the fuel tank was clogged with debris. This strainer is located at the end of the dip tube in the tank.
On my Perkins , I installed an electric fuel pump . I installed it in-line with the existing primary pump. It was then easier to purge and prime the system after replacing the fuel filter and I noticed that the engine was even easier to start.
You can find this pump in any auto parts store and itís easy to install.

Jacques
Old 27-03-2022, 09:26   #8

Boat: Gulfstar Ketch, 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Scamp View Post
Hi All,

I shut my Perkins Prima 50 down, with the stop button 2 days ago, every thing has been running normal and fine,

Any ideas why it will not start today,

It turns over very well and smooth, and has a full tank of juice,

Kind Regards

Shane
Possible leak in suction line. To diagnose, fit a cheap in line eletric fuel pump close to the tank. Turn the fuel pump on, without the engine and check for fuel leaks.
ccurtis32401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 09:36   #9

Boat: Gulfstar Ketch, 50

Does anyone know if I can put a m80 turbo charger on a m60?
ccurtis32401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 11:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccurtis32401 View Post
Possible leak in suction line. To diagnose, fit a cheap in line eletric fuel pump close to the tank. Turn the fuel pump on, without the engine and check for fuel leaks.

I second CCurtis, chance are for a leak somewhere. Check also the banjo bolts on the injectors. They are prone for fissures and leaks on this specific model.
Old 27-03-2022, 11:40   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccurtis32401 View Post
Does anyone know if I can put a m80 turbo charger on a m60?

I donít think so, the M80 use a turbo designed to fit BB build code. The M 60 made to fit BA build code.

Tags
perkins