Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2019, 14:32   #1

Boat: Birchwood 33
Perkins HT 6.354M, Perkins 6.354M

My old girl is a 33ft Birchwood coastal cruiser currently moored just North of Barcelona, Spain previously having been in the Balearics and powered by twin counter-rotating Perkins horizontal turbocharged 6.354 marine diesel engines.
Thousands of these great lumps of engines are still out there doing good work in bulldozers, farm tractors, and heavy trucks. I love them as (for the most part) they are accessible, and looked after have a reputation for longevity.
But they are now well dated and require much TLC, so I would be interested in establishing a forum so we can exchange ideas and advice and locate spares and services to keep them going.
I have searched 'Perkins 6.354' on the CF site which returns much on the Perkins 4.108 but nada, niente on the 6.354. Is there anyone out there?
Nyaminyami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 18:39   #2

Re: Perkins HT 6.354M, Perkins 6.354M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyaminyami View Post
My old girl is a 33ft Birchwood coastal cruiser currently moored just North of Barcelona, Spain previously having been in the Balearics and powered by twin counter-rotating Perkins horizontal turbocharged 6.354 marine diesel engines.

Thousands of these great lumps of engines are still out there doing good work in bulldozers, farm tractors, and heavy trucks. I love them as (for the most part) they are accessible, and looked after have a reputation for longevity.

But they are now well dated and require much TLC, so I would be interested in establishing a forum so we can exchange ideas and advice and locate spares and services to keep them going.

I have searched 'Perkins 6.354' on the CF site which returns much on the Perkins 4.108 but nada, niente on the 6.354. Is there anyone out there?

Hi Nyaminyami
I agree with you about the 6-354, one of the 4 best 6 cylinder industrial/ marine engines. Easy to work on with no real complexity and a lot of them still in use. I also have a horizontal perkins 6-354 but naturally aspirated.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2022, 16:19   #3

Boat: Beaufort 20

Hi Skipper Pete

I also have a horizontal perkins 6-354 but naturally aspirated.

Do you have any contacts in Oz for parts?

Thx
Jp Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2022, 16:34   #4

No contacts for dedicated H6-354 parts such as exhaust manifold, engine mounts, oil pan/sump and oil pump .....but pistons valves, fuel injection equipment and all the other vertical 6-354 engine parts are fairly easy to get from any of the industrial parts suppliers such as “ Engine Australia” in Dalby and Brisbane or “Parts4engines” in UK.
I still have some spares, PM me for more info.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2022, 10:21   #5

I've a pair of 1986 T6-354M engines on an old boat, recently acquired. It sat mostly for several years. Both engines start instantly, go to proper WOT and pass the 'blow-by Dollar-Bill-Test over the valve cover's oil filler'.

One engine's #6 cylinder smokes heavily for 10 minutes on start up, then clears up and runs great - full rpm, smooth, smoke free. (Opening the fuel line to #6 eliminates smoking.)

Rebuilt that injector (HR) and pop tested/set. Proper washer verified. Checked valve clearances. The compression on #6 is 305psi vs. #5 is 400psi. Replaced the damaged cold-start device.

The Perkins-experienced mechanic here, near Kent Island MD, believes its a stuck ring, and advised me to run it hard. I have several times - WOT under load for two+ hours 2X, racking the throttles under load 50 or 100 times. No noticeable change on start up a week later, though the next morning - 12 hours later it smokes at only 50%. While I da the injector out, I also poured half a bottle of Seafoam into the cylinder over the course of a couple hours, bumping the engine prior to each application, to no effect.

Ideas on the issue?

A buddy had a similar issue with the same engine, and his mechanic added a block heater (he doesn't know what type heater).

Ideas on Block heaters?
(I thinking a 1500w heater with a small pump that heats the AF, vs one for the freeze plug.) But where would I connect hoses? (One end could be affixing a T in the temp senser port.) I don't have engine heat for the HW Tank.
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2022, 09:16   #6

Boat: 30' Ericson / 42' Golden Star / Yard full of trailer boats

https://www.hotstart.com/solutions/in-block-heaters/
Turtle Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2022, 17:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Blues View Post
Thanks. I've been looking at them, just wondering if there is an easier or more effective process than knocking out a freeze plug. I'm also a bit concerned about the plug dropping into the block.
Old 27-11-2022, 08:03   #8

Lots more 6.354 owners lurking on Trawlerforum. When I queried about the factory installed cold start system the general feeling was unless a lot of sub freezing usage it would never be needed, which has been my experience on the bay.
The inexpensive engine heating alternatives: oil pan stick on pads, electric dip sticks, etc. all look pretty sketchy and not marine rated.
If you are not comfortable removing a freeze plug its should be a reasonable job for your mechanic. There are a couple of tricks to keep it outside the block and making sure you don't drive the new assembly in too far.
Good Luck, will be curious to hear what you decide to do.
Old 28-11-2022, 05:49   #9

I purchased both sizes of magnetic heaters to test, but with the aluminum sump and no flat space anywhere near #6, I returned them unused.

I winterized the boat that same weekend, so testing has ended for a few months. If we have a series of 50deg days, i might drain the coolent (for general maintenance) and that would be the right time for an electric block heater installation.

Another possible spot for a block heater is the 4x8" flat metal access plate on the rear of the engine, high up on #6, if there is coolent behind it and space. It's held on with just 6 small bolts.

I don't believe these engines have connections for "heater hoses" (air or water), that a pump-style heater can be attached to. But the engines are new to me.

Are you also on the Chesapeake?
Old 29-11-2022, 07:50   #10

Across the Bay from you in Galesville.
Previous owner on Middle River used a marine rated electric fan forced bilge heater through the winter.

I use that, drain tanks, plumbing, and AC lines. I guess my weak link is the thru hulls and raw water intakes. If I was any further north I would definitely do a full winterization but here its nice to have the boat useable.
I have the cold start systems complete on the engines but the control switches were never installed. Haven't missed them so far, engines have always fired quickly.
Old 29-11-2022, 16:07   #11

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSon View Post
I've a pair of 1986 T6-354M engines on an old boat, recently acquired. It sat mostly for several years. Both engines start instantly, go to proper WOT and pass the 'blow-by Dollar-Bill-Test over the valve cover's oil filler'.

One engine's #6 cylinder smokes heavily for 10 minutes on start up, then clears up and runs great - full rpm, smooth, smoke free. (Opening the fuel line to #6 eliminates smoking.)

Rebuilt that injector (HR) and pop tested/set. Proper washer verified. Checked valve clearances. The compression on #6 is 305psi vs. #5 is 400psi. Replaced the damaged cold-start device.

The Perkins-experienced mechanic here, near Kent Island MD, believes its a stuck ring, and advised me to run it hard. I have several times - WOT under load for two+ hours 2X, racking the throttles under load 50 or 100 times. No noticeable change on start up a week later, though the next morning - 12 hours later it smokes at only 50%. While I da the injector out, I also poured half a bottle of Seafoam into the cylinder over the course of a couple hours, bumping the engine prior to each application, to no effect.

Ideas on the issue?

A buddy had a similar issue with the same engine, and his mechanic added a block heater (he doesn't know what type heater).

Ideas on Block heaters?
(I thinking a 1500w heater with a small pump that heats the AF, vs one for the freeze plug.) But where would I connect hoses? (One end could be affixing a T in the temp senser port.) I don't have engine heat for the HW Tank.
I have two 6.354s, one each on two different boats. One is naturally aspirated and the other turbo. Both start instantly as you describe. Both smoke at idle and continue to smoke until they heat up to operating temp. Yes it is about how the rings seat as the piston and the cylinder expand as they heat up. But think it is a feature of the design, not a malfunction. You may have the #6 cylinder misbehaving at low temperatures, but may not be worth fixing.

So the block heater just helps the engine heat up faster to reduce time for engine to smoke. Has nothing to do with engine starting (already start instantly).

Note that you recently acquired boat. It is a little nerve racking to be operating an old Perkins with the cold start smoke when we are used to modern automobiles and even common rail diesels that are quiet and smoke free. But trust me, that old Perkins is way more reliable. I’ve learned to live with the smoke.
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2022, 16:17   #12

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyaminyami View Post
Am located in USA, so can’t comment on Spain. But Trans Atlantic Diesel in Virginia is an excellent resource for parts and repairs.

Boatdiesel.com is a great forum for all makes including Perkins 6.354s.
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 22:05   #13

Boat: Carvel Sharpie 35'

In Australia, Geoff Walsh's Old Farts Parts near Mackay is a good source of some parts. I think his daughter now runs GW Industrial, which also has some parts and lots of knowledge. Boatdiesel.com also has a dedicated 6.354 thread.
Capn Greg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins