Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2018, 04:01   #16

Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch
Re: Perkins diesel engine maintenance questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
The Perkins 4-108 has a water pump like an automotive water pump. When it goes bad it drips 1st. Unlike your car dripping on your driveway where you can see the puddle,,,the 4-108 drips into your bilge and is easy to go undetected.
This was the cause of my overheating last summer.
Good news is the Perkins survived the overheating with no negative consequences.
I was advised by an old seafaring guy, he had a blue denim jacket, blue cap and dandruff on his shoulders so he was the genuine article. - Run your engine up to temperature once a month in port with the covers off. Then put it ahead and astern against the mooring ropes for a few minutes each. Then go back and inspect all around the engine and the shaft seals.

Checks your engine, drive and your mooring lines. Both best tested in the dock than fail at sea.
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:06   #17

Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado View Post
My boat came with a Perkins 4.108 that ran the generator. I no longer have the eng/gen but I'm pretty sure I have all the original manuals.

Send me a PM and I'll be happy to send them to you if I can track them down.

Jeff
The manuals are available all over the place, Here is a link for the 4108. http://www.fujiyachts.net/manuals/Pe...p%20Manual.pdf
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 16:18   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeyKrogen38 View Post
I was under the impression that most 4-108 were equipped with an oil sump pump just below fuel secondary filter. At least mine is so fitted.
I have noticed a large upward-facing plug at the top of the oil pan, on the starboard side near the fuel lift pump. Is that where yours has an oil pump? The plug might be a good place to pump out the oil, but I hope the oil won't run down the side of the pan into the bilge if I remove the plug! My engine is tilted up at the front pretty sharply, so if I drain it from the small front plug there would still be a quart or 2 of oil in the pan.
Water Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:06   #19

Boat: Mason 43

On my 4-108 there are actually two upward facing plugs on the starboard side, and according to my manual one is for the optional oil drain pump, and one is actually for the fit net of a mechanical tach. One item to keep an eye on is the water pump">raw water pump, being direct drive, if the seal goes there is a real possibility of filling your crankcase with sea water - I know this one from personal experience. Keep the weep holes on that pump clear, and when you notice it leaking do not wait to fix it.
applefritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 01:46   #20
Marine Service Provider

It there any water tank?
shelleyWendert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine, maintenance, perkins