Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2016, 10:18   #1

Boat: Jeanneau, Sun Fizz, 41
Perkins dies at low RPM

Perkins dies in low rpm.
It seems to run ok when she was cold. After she rungets warm and you put her in neutral, she just dies. This means you can not stop by putting her in reverse, since she dies when you get from forward to neutral position.

This boat is not mine yet, but I did make a downpaiment. So if someone could give me advise about it, I would sure appreciate it. I like to think that it is only a fuel problem and the engine might be ok. But I am really not a mecanic at all. Thanks in advance
pfammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 10:20   #2

Re: Perkins dies at low RPM

Check the idle set screw. Bump it up.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 10:24   #3
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Which Perkins?
They made quite a few engines..
Old 29-05-2016, 10:27   #4

Boat: Tartan 37

5 will get you 10, it's the high pressure fuel pump. Next it will get hard to start when engine is hot.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 10:32   #5

You should be able to adjust the idle fuel supply with a set screw or cable to tighten.
vmattiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 10:46   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Can't separate the two suggestions without knowing what RPM you mean by "low" or "idle." Check the manual for the specified idle RPM. If the engine is running under load at that RPM and shifting to neutral without shifting the throttle stops it, you've got a problem that goes beyond the idle speed set screw. But if you have a single lever control (one arm controls both throttle and gearshift, a combination I don't like) then when you shift to neutral you may also be dropping the throttle below idle speed, and need to adjust the idle, as suggested. Let's all hope that's the problem.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 10:54   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

there should be a lever on injector pump for kill pull.... make sure that is with a cable.
then idle it up. read your engine manual to make sure you get it right.
or call a mechanic.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 17:18   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

A diesel is controlled by a governor, so at idle, under a load or not. the rpm should remain constant. The governor on engines with a injector pump is inside the pump. The speed control lever usually on a side and sometimes connected to kill linkage, usually has two adjustment screws. One screw sets idle and the other max rpm. Your idle is set too low. But there could be other issues. Usually the screws are set and never touched between pump overhauls.
Since you're in the process of buying the boat, an engine surveyor might be worth the cost.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 23:32   #9

Boat: Jeanneau, Sun Fizz, 41

Thank you all. The owner will have a mecanic look at this issue. Btw it seems to be a 4801 with 49.32 hp. I will try to convince the owner to have a full service done. This would give me some peace of mind, since the boat is in really good shape otherwise and I would like to buy it. Tks again.
pfammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 07:15   #10

Boat: CSY 33
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster
Perkins dying

I believe you meant to say 4-108 Perkins. Anyway, it is a very reliable workhorse. I advise getting a report from the mechanic just so you know and understand what was done to correct the problem. Then, if it reappears you will have something in writing to refer to.

good luck with your "new" boat!
wunderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 08:02   #11

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

Recommend changing out the primary and secondary fuel filters before attacking any other engine idle adjustments. As well, determine fuel vents are clear. Sounds like it is having difficulty sucking fuel at low revs.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 08:04   #12

Re: Perkins dying

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderluster View Post
I believe you meant to say 4-108 Perkins. Anyway, it is a very reliable workhorse. I advise getting a report from the mechanic just so you know and understand what was done to correct the problem. Then, if it reappears you will have something in writing to refer to.

good luck with your "new" boat!
Yup, time to call in the pros. If one thing is wrong, a lot of things are probably about to go wrong. Sounds like a compression issue. If you can rev it up without load but not with load, might have a cracked head, cracked head gasket, etc. Or could be your compression releases are not closed.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 08:21   #13

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

There are no compression releases on a 4-108. The heads, head gaskets and head bolts are greatly beefed up on this engine as opposed the 4-107. If it's dying in neutral it's not a load issue. 99% of issues with all diesels dying at low revs is either fuel or air starvation. Besides fuel restriction look for air obstruction.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 10:36   #14

Boat: Columbia 36

As above, look at fuel or air supply problems. Easiest to diagnose is air, just take the filter off. If it runs better you know where the problem is. Don't run it permanently that way, just the few minutes it takes to diagnose.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 12:22   #15

Boat: ODAY 28

agree with changing fuel filters first, and then note the RPM. if low as per the manual then make a idle adjustment if needed
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins, rpm