Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2021, 12:45   #1

perkins 4.236 Ignition/Gauges

Hi,

I recently purchased a Seamaster 30 with a Perkins 4.236. The engine is running fine but the Fuel and Temprature gauge do not work.

I have a very basic understanding of electrics but took a look to see if I could figure out the problem today.

The positive supply to the two gauges that are not working is coming from a terminal on the ignition relay (or at least what appears to be the ignition relay to me). The only other item this terminal is feeding is an LED on the dashboard that also does not work.

To see if this was the issue, I connected the fuel and temprature gauge to the same positive terminal from the ignition that supplies the oil pressure gauge, rpm gauge and a second LED on the dashboard, all of which work. When I did this the gauges kicked into action.

My question is, is there any issue with powering all of the gauges from the same terminal on the ignition and avoiding the terminal on the relay? Or is there a specific reason the terminal on the relay is used for the fuel and temprature gauge?

Also, what should the LED that is fed from the relay indicate?

Apologies if my explanation isn't very clear. This is my first boat and I'm a complete novice!

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!!!
Eoin_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 13:51   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: perkins 4.236 Ignition/Gauges

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Eoin.

See "Basic Engine Gauge Theory and Testing"
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums....html#post2597

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 15:47   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin_G View Post

My question is, is there any issue with powering all of the gauges from the same terminal on the ignition and avoiding the terminal on the relay? Or is there a specific reason the terminal on the relay is used for the fuel and temprature gauge?

Also, what should the LED that is fed from the relay indicate?
Welcome aboard CF, Eoin_G.

The primer on basic testing in the link that GordMay provided is a very good place to start.

As to your specific question - I don't know why you have two separate feeds to the different gauges (maybe something was added by a previous owner?) but it is usual to supply the positive to all the gauges from a single source.

To know for sure what the non working LED is for, you need to follow the wiring and see what is connected to it. It usual to have indicator lights (LED) for low oil pressure and high coolant temperature. My guess is the non working LED is a high temperature alarm and as you haven't had any high temperature faults, the LED remains unlit.

The primer on testing gives you all the detail you need to test my assumption.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 20:50   #4

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I guess previous owner(s) made some alterations, as these engine getting quite old and the instrument panels had normal incandescent light bulbs in it, not LEDs.

On the net there are dozens of places to source a manual, and these manuals have good diagrams of the electrics. If you are concerned about clicking on some searches. sorry, I do not know which one i used to download, but this manual does not show the instrument panel wiring:
http://www.endeavourowners.com/dscsn...p%20Manual.pdf.

Sorry, I am not even close to my boat for quite a while and cannot scan what I have.
Old 10-05-2021, 01:26   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Welcome aboard CF, Eoin_G.

The primer on basic testing in the link that GordMay provided is a very good place to start.

As to your specific question - I don't know why you have two separate feeds to the different gauges (maybe something was added by a previous owner?) but it is usual to supply the positive to all the gauges from a single source.

To know for sure what the non working LED is for, you need to follow the wiring and see what is connected to it. It usual to have indicator lights (LED) for low oil pressure and high coolant temperature. My guess is the non working LED is a high temperature alarm and as you haven't had any high temperature faults, the LED remains unlit.

The primer on testing gives you all the detail you need to test my assumption.
Great, thanks for the reply. I'm going to run the same positive for the fuel and temp gauge so at least I can keep an eye on fuel and see if I'm overheating. I'll chase the LED wiring this week.

Thanks for your help.

Eoin
Old 10-05-2021, 01:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
I guess previous owner(s) made some alterations, as these engine getting quite old and the instrument panels had normal incandescent light bulbs in it, not LEDs.

On the net there are dozens of places to source a manual, and these manuals have good diagrams of the electrics. If you are concerned about clicking on some searches. sorry, I do not know which one i used to download, but this manual does not show the instrument panel wiring:
http://www.endeavourowners.com/dscsn...p%20Manual.pdf.

Sorry, I am not even close to my boat for quite a while and cannot scan what I have.
Thanks for the info. I'll have another scan online see what I can find. The previous owner seemed to have been in the process of rewiring a new switch panel and gave up half way. Running Lights, Horn and Bilge Pump were not wired up at all. They all work fine now though once connected to the new swicth panel. The old switch panel was heavily corroded and only one switch, which was for the wipers, actually worked. I've completely removed the old switch panel now.

I'm happy now once I know there is no issue with powering the gauges from the same source. Knowing fuel levels and engine temp can be useful and give peace of mind!!

Tags
perkins