Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 06:51   #1

Boat: Taswell 49
Perkins 4-154 Wiring Diagram

Can anyone point me to a good complete wiring diagram for this engine? I have attached the one I have but it does not include the glow plugs or stop solenoid and seems to be missing fuel pump wiring etc. My engine has a bunch of hokey wiring and I want to clean it up or repalce it all. There are these two devices that look like solenoids that im not sure about. One is near the oem alternator and appears to be related to the glow plugs. The other is near the starter but is not the starter solenoid. One of the wires coming off it is small in diameter and has a small reisitor just soldered inline? There are also two relays behind the instrument panel that I am not sure what for as there is also a funky relay in the engine comaprtment that is for the fuel pump. I should get some photos for the group but what I really want is a nice diagram the will show me how the instument panel, and all electrical on this engine is supposed to be set up. Oh yeah there is also some remote stop button installed just above the starter too. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winring_eng_perkins_original.jpg
Views:	22619
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	18398  
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:44   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
This site has LOTS of good Perkins information:
The Fuji Yachts Web Site Owners List

http://www . fujiyachts.net/manuals/manuals_engine.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:52   #3

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
You could try and contact Joe at Perkins power Corp. 1-904-278-9919 he works in the service department and has been a very big help to me, lately I have been turning over all diagrams I come across to him.

Best of luck

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:16   #4

Thanks but no luck with a detailed diagram there.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:33   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't think you searched through all the workshop service manuals.

Check out this one, including pages 81 & 82:
http://www.fujiyachts.net/manuals/Pe...p%20Manual.pdf

“Cold Starting Aid” is a glow plug.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:44   #6

Helpful but does not include any detail on relays or solenoids. Just curious though Gordo are the rumors about you being a robot true?
Old 12-08-2010, 11:45   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Escape Plan View Post
Helpful but does not include any detail on relays or solenoids. Just curious though Gordo are the rumors about you being a robot true?
I register a query, but the syntax does not compute. My default reply is "no".

A have trouble believing that you reviewed every manual linked at the fujiyachts site, in a 1/2 hour (between my post your reply).

Old 12-08-2010, 12:43   #8

Thanks Gordo I actually did not review all of the manuals on that site. But I will certainly spend some more time there. I was hoping to find a diagram specific to the 4-154 but I am doubtful that I will. I suspect though that I may find a more detailed diagram for a similar engine say maybe the 4-108 that would get me the info I need. Thanks for your help and I'm sorry for the robot comment. The speed at which you locate information never ceases to amaze me!

I emailed the folks at TA Diesles to see if they sold a replacement wiring harness for the 4-154 but have not heard back yet. Im thinking I will end up with several diagrams that tell me what each of the connections on the engine do and and be able to build a new harness that way. Im not crazy about the multi pin connectors that so many of these engines come with anyway and would prefer the terminal strip with heatshrinked eye terminals but it would be nice to replicate the factory wire colors maybe.
Old 12-08-2010, 13:23   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Use ABYC wiring colour code*, with no intermediate terminations.
The oem engine only used them (connectors) to accommodate various installations.

* E11 - Table 15; or formerly E-9 Table 12

TABLE XII - ENGINE AND ACCESSORY WIRING COLOR CODE
COLOR ITEM USE

Yellow w/red stripe (YR)
Starting circuit
Starting switch to solenoid

Brown/yellow stripe (BY) or
Yellow (Y) - see note
Bilge blowers
Fuse or switch to blowers

Dark gray (Gy)

Navigation lights
Tachometer
Fuse or switch to lights
Tachometer sender to gauge

Brown (Br)
Generator armature
Generator armature to regulator
Alternator charge light

Pumps Generator
Terminal/alternator
Auxiliary terminal to light to regulator
Fuse or switch to pumps

Orange (O)
Accessory feed
Ammeter to alternator or generator output and accessory fuses or switches.
Distribution panel to accessory switch

Purple (Pu)
Ignition
Ignition switch to coil and electrical instruments.
Instrument feed Distribution panel to electric instruments

Dark blue
Cabin and instrument lights
Fuse or switch to lights

Light blue (Lt Bl)
Oil pressure
Oil pressure sender to gauge

Tan
Water temperature
Water temperature sender to gauge

Pink (Pk)
Fuel gauge
Fuel gauge sender to gauge

Green/stripe (G/x)
(Except G/Y)
Tilt down and/or trim in
Tilt and/or trim circuits

Blue/stripe (Bl/x)
Tilt up and/or trim out
Tilt and/or trim circuits

NOTE: If yellow is used for DC negative, blower must be brown with yellow stripe.

Old 12-08-2010, 13:44   #10

Will do thanks!
Old 12-08-2010, 13:55   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Are you sure there are glow plugs? My 4.154 does not have glow plugs.

TADiesel will help you. Give them a chance, you're not their only customer. They have always been very helpful to me.

The Endeavourowners site has 4.154 manuals.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 14:21   #12

yeah mine has glow plugs. Will try and take some pics of the motor tonight and the things I am curious about. Agreed on TA Diesles they have been great in the past.
Old 13-08-2010, 08:21   #13

Ok spent more time last night and took a picture of one of the solenoids. This one is on the port side of the engine. After some testing it appears as though both solenoids do not work.

The one on the starboard side I think is supposed to be part of the glow plug circuit. It has 4 connections on it. Two are big poles and two small male spade connections. The two big poles look like one is connected to the battery + via the alternator output post. The other big pole goes to the wire connected to all the glow plugs. Then the two smaller spade terminals, one is a ground goes into the wire harness, the other is hot (12v+) when the glow plug position on the ignition switch is selected. I believe what is supposed to happen is that when the glow plug position on the key switch is hit 12v+ goes to this solenoid which then connects the two big poles together (like a relay) allowing high amperage current to flow from the battery + to the glow plugs. The glow plugs themselves get their ground by being threaded into the head. Problem is when the solenoid is activated it does not make this connection. The other big post going to the glow plugs never gets 12v+. Bad solenoid? Replace with a relay? What sort of amperage will the glowplugs need, (#8 wire feeding them). Am I way off on how this glowplug circuit should function?

Now the solenoid on the port side is a real mystery. Its the one in the photo and is identical to the one on the strbd side. Same 4 connections but heres where it gets weird. The two big poles on this solenoid are both connected to #8 wires one (Black and closest in photo) goes to a mounting bolt of the starter (ground) the other (red in photo)to a bolt on the starter case where other grounds are attached (also a ground). The two small spade terminals one is part of the wire harness (painted blue on right side of phots) and is a ground the other leaves the solenoid (tan in photo) and is then split into two wires. One of these has a diode soldered inline and continues to a brown with red strip that gets 12v+ when the glow plug is slected. The diode will only allow current to go from the solenoid side to towards the key switch(glowplug setting). It will not allow current to go from the key switch(glow plug setting) to this solenoid. The other half of the wire where it is split goes to the a sending unit looking device which is the engine stop and has something heatshrunk inline with it as well, possibly another diode?

There is a second kill switch for the engine mounted just to the left of this solenoid you will see the button in the photo. When this button is pushed 12v+ goes to the sender and shts down the motor. It also flows to this wire with the diode and I guess heads back up to the ignition switch ( Glowplug setting). The kill switch sender (stop solenoid?) has 3 small red wires coming off it. One goes to the kill switch at the engine instrument panel and supplies 12v+ when activated. The other goes to the kill swithc in the photo and does the same when pushed. And the third tees into the tan wire with the diode.

I have no idea what the purpose of the diode(s) could be. No idea what this solenoid is supposed to do. Given that both big posts on it are connected to ground what could it possibly be controlling?

To make matters worse there appear to be two starter solenoids as well. One on the starter itself the other on the bulkhead near the starter and connected to the one on the starter. My only guess is that maybe the solenoid on the starter itself failed and this remote one is somehow serving in its place? But that does not really make sense and I have not yet had a chance trace out all the wires coming off this solenoid.

And lastly up behind the engine instrument panel are 2 small relays not sure what they are for either...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solenoid.jpg
Views:	3565
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	18422  
Old 13-08-2010, 08:44   #14

A picture from another boat like mine with the solenoid

Not sure what this one is wired up to do either but does have the mystery brown wire that splits and does god knows what...

Heres another one:
Old 13-08-2010, 09:25   #15

Is answering ones own posts the same as talking to yourself? Im finding some bits a pieces here and there that indicate that the diodes may have something to do with an automatic shutdown feature that would kill the engine if oil pressure was too low or coolant temp too high. Still not sure how the solenoid would come in to play or how this is supposed to be wired up but maybe im on to something here.

Perkins ElectroPak Engine Wiring