Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2021, 01:17   #31

Boat: May Flower 48 - Stadel 48
Send a message via Skype™ to Jack C
Re: Perkins 4.154 Pouring oil from breather tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomuchboattime View Post
Thanks Jack,

Great advice. I closed the water inlet, and pumped the oil pump handle. There was a small amount of water in the sump again, but not much. I'm wondering if perhaps the water is filling from my exhaust? This would explain water in the cylinder but not in the crankcase unless I have blown rings, or? (not sure if that's a correct assessment but it's my guess. I'll check the exhaust to rule that out, and will the water inlet closed I should be able to suck the water out in the morning.
It likely came from the exhaust if the seacock was open and your anti-syphon loop vent ( if you have one) is blocked. So maybe you are lucky and all the water came from the exhaust and moved past the rings into the sump. Piston #1 was down below the water level and a valve was open to let out the air to allow the water to rise. So the oil cooler may not be the problem.

The rings have gaps which will allow water to slowly seep out. Also your rings may be stuck, allowing water to pass.
Jack C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 08:01   #32

Your engine could survive that, but I would worry about the valve train a bit. You may end up pulling the head and having it redone. Salt water on the valve shafts and seats could be pretty bad.
You need to find out where the water gets in, we need to know more.
But it can siphon in from the exhaust. One lapping wave at a time.
Is there a riser?
is there a muffler?
what is the exhaust layout?
was your engine seacock closed while you were gone?
Is your stern open to wind waves?
Can you bypass the oil cooler? Just do that. That will tell you something. Many engines dont have one anyway.

Get the old oil out of there and run that engine good and hot. You might remove the injectors and squirt some light oil in the cylinders and let it sit a couple days first.
Rechange the oil after running hot. Find that water ingress.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 08:36   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Your engine could survive that, but I would worry about the valve train a bit. You may end up pulling the head and having it redone. Salt water on the valve shafts and seats could be pretty bad.
Is there a riser?
is there a muffler?
Can you bypass the oil cooler? Just do that. That will tell you something. Many engines dont have one anyway.

Get the old oil out of there and run that engine good and hot. You might remove the injectors and squirt some light oil in the cylinders and let it sit a couple days first.
Adding to the above, I might squirt a bunch of WD40 in the cylinders through the injector holes, let it sit a bit and crank the engine to push it back out. Use a cloth or paper towel to catch some of the expelled WD40.... see if it looks rusty at all... Also, it would be nice to have the rocker cover off and make sure all the valves are moving and not frozen up.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 09:39   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Is there a riser?
is there a muffler?

My wet exhaust port is about two feet above the water line, Runs downhill toward an elbow which goes two feet down to a lifter muffler, one of those little black round fiberglass ones, cant' recall the brand. From there a hose goes up 36" (or whatever the muffler had specified when I installed it, into a mixing arm and into the motor. Ashamed to admit it on the interwebs but inlet seacock was left open while I was away Is the oil cooler part of the heat exchanger? I looks like my raw water in goes into the heat exchanger. Thanks for the assistance! Going to soak it in pb blaster and put some oil in the cylinders but hoping to figure out what's causing this!
Toomuchboattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 22:44   #35

Just an update to wrap up this thread. Turned out I made a begginer's mistake - turning over the motor without it starting and backflooding a cylinder. I also left the sea cock open when I left the boat. Thank god she was still afloat.

But, after draining the saltwater, oiling the cylinders, turning them my hand, bleeding the fuel lines, and cleaning the injectors, she's running like the tractor engine that she is.

I truly appreciate all your help!
Toomuchboattime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, perkins