Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2018, 19:41   #1

Boat: 44ft mono hull
Perkins 4.154 Injectors

This is a call for help. I have a Perkins 4.154 that has had a load of work done and was running perfectly, until the injector pump died.

So the pump is off and away for a rebuild, and I thought that while I was at it I'd get the injectors taken out and tested/rebuilt if needed.

Only problem is that the little buggers won't come off. They've been soaked for two days now and some serious force applied to coax them out but to no avail.

So does anyone know of a technique that will get them out? Or do I just need to try a bigger pry bar/tnt?
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 20:10   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Perkins 4.154 Injectors

I believe the shop manual suggest lightly tapping with a hammer back and forth or the use of a lady slipper. With the hammer you have to hit the body of the injector and only lightly.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 21:24   #3

A 8'' length of 1'' brass rod [Drift] and a 5lb club hammer then work your way around the area where the injector goes into the Head with very solid dead blows. DO NOT be scared of hitting it. Fairy blows have never loosened a properly stuck injector.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 16:26   #4

Thanks, Ive managed to get one of them to twist slightly which is an improvement but still wont lever out. I will borrow some lady slippers tomorrow. If that fails I resort to the bar and large hammer.....
Old 20-04-2018, 18:18   #5

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Bit off topic but I got to reading this thread because I also have a Perkins 4-154, but never had problems removing injectors. However, since some of you know how to use these tools, what is the difference between the lady slipper bar and just an ordinary punch of the type you'd use to make a little detent in metal where you want to drill? It appears the punch has the same type of point as the lady slipper if the pictures I see are any help.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 18:19   #6

Can't help on the lady slipper topic, but can you share your method for removal?
Old 20-04-2018, 19:05   #7

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

The business end of the lady slipper for removing injectors is the part that resembles the lady slipper; the 'toe end' of the slipper goes under the injector flange, the 'heel' of the slipper is the fulcrum to pop the injector up.

An alternative to the 'maximum force adjusting tool' method is to buy or make a small slide hammer that screws onto the injector, and use that to remove them. The hardest part will likely be procuring a used injector line nut, but a good junkyard (do they still exist?) or a diesel engine or injection shop will have one. Then you have to adapt the nut to the end of the slide hammer, but that shouldn't be too difficult, a trip to a good hardware store should do the trick...

jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 10:03   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI

Years ago, I bought an "Injector Puller" set, which is a nice HD plastic box with many adapters for various brands of diesel fuel injectors.

Sorry, "Old Timers" must be setting in, or maybe just CRS, after all I will celebrate 80 years in July.

My shop is full of Harbor Freight tools, so check their website. This kit has a "U" shaped device that straddles the injector, a screw attachment that goes into the common return line fitting. Then you attach it to the threaded rod and out she comes. However on some I have had to use a slide hammer.

BTW, I have two Perkins 4.154's available that need to be rebuilt or can be parted out. Pensacola, FL
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 11:21   #9

On a 4-108, I used the cylinder pressure help me. Substancially loosen ( but do not remove) the nuts that secure the injectors in the head. Turn the starter for 10 seconds or so and the cylinder pressure might just loosen them enough to twist out> Bob
roberttigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 06:06   #10

Thanks all, I'm going to head to harbor freight to check out their pulkers/slide hammers, and if that all fails will try blowing them out!
Old 25-04-2018, 08:36   #11

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberttigar View Post
On a 4-108, I used the cylinder pressure help me. Substancially loosen ( but do not remove) the nuts that secure the injectors in the head. Turn the starter for 10 seconds or so and the cylinder pressure might just loosen them enough to twist out> Bob

That's a pretty good idea! I used a hammer to tap mine out last fall. Didn't seem to hurt anything. Cleaning them up now for re-installation.

On a related note, what do people use to prevent corrosion on the sides of the injectors, so maybe next time they have to be pulled, it's a bit easier. Do folks typically grease them up before re-installing? What kind of grease?
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins