Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2016, 07:55   #1

Boat: 36' Cape Dory
Perkins 4.108 Secondary Water Discharge??

Yesterday while motoring (with poor wind lol) I noticed a steady stream of warm water coming from this port (see attached picture). I haven't seen it spit out water like that before (usually just an occasional spirt). Any ideas why it may be doing this?

Thanks!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0449.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	127915
vonchris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 08:03   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Perkins 4.108 Secondary Water Discharge??

It might be the vent for the vented loop. If your elbow starts getting clogged, it will force more water out the vent.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 09:47   #3

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

You seem to think it has a hose from the thruhull from the motor but you didn't actually say so. I would start by tracing the hose to its origin. If it is the motor, you will be able to tell right away what it could be doing, if from nothing else than the engine manual/diagram and at least a basic understanding of marine engines.

I was crew on a boat I had never been on and water started blowing in to the cockpit all of a sudden - like 3-4 gal in just a couple of minutes. Emergency! The skipper had never bothered to even look at that specific part of the boat (I literally could not believe this) and had no idea where it was from. Turns out is was from a bilge pump he didn't know he had. AND, the engine was overheating and water was coming out of the fresh water tank from the badly-in-need-of-replacement cap. He knew the engine overheated regularly but never mentioned that to me before we left. He thought it was normal. I left the boat at the next stop.

It could be a bilge pump outlet on your boat. I'd recommend you do a complete survey of all thruhulls and know what they are for and make a diagram and put it in a safe place to look at when you need to. If you haven't done that already you should also thoroughly inspect the hose clamps and hoses as to their condition. If in doubt replace asap.

Just some thoughts. It would be good to check out all of this stuff. It will also lead you to find other stuff you didn't even know you have. I always do until I have surveyed 100% of a new boat.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 10:19   #4

It's good advice to know your boat. Know where every hose goes to, where every seacock is, and what it's for. It's basic seamanship. I'm guessing with Guy's answer, vented loop hose for the exhaust. The vented loop vent valve must be defective.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 11:05   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It's good advice to know your boat.The vented loop vent valve must be defective.
Some systems don't have a valve just a small line going ovbd. It leaves the loop always vented at a very small cost in cooling water. On our boat for example there is no valve just a 1/4"line. It only dribbles water at low speed but at cruise there is a continuous flow. If the injection fitting at the exhaust elbow clogs with salt it will increase the flow from the vent.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 11:21   #6

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Thanks for the discussion of the vented loop possibility. I would not have thought of that. The reason I wrote what I did is that I have learned that just because I have the engine on when something happens does not mean it was caused by the engine. I can see how a clogged injection point could cause the problem though.

I've never had a steady dribble coming from my vented loops under normal running and my loops drain in to the bilge anyway and not overboard.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 11:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Some systems don't have a valve just a small line going ovbd. It leaves the loop always vented at a very small cost in cooling water. On our boat for example there is no valve just a 1/4"line. It only dribbles water at low speed but at cruise there is a continuous flow. If the injection fitting at the exhaust elbow clogs with salt it will increase the flow from the vent.
Yeah, some people have the exit dribble in the cockpit so they see they have cooling water flow. I assumed as he is asking about it that it is something new.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins, water