Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 11:33   #61

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Perkins 4.108 Rebuild?

You want to take your injector pump to the most reputable experienced person you can find regardless of where they are. It's something you don't want to fail and you don't want to go through removal and reinstall more than once.
I hope you marked the pump when you removed it to make certain your timing is good for reinstall. Very critical.
4-107 is just as great an engine as the 4-108. I believe the only difference was that one had sleeves and the other didn't. Could be wrong about that.
kind regards,
Old 09-09-2012, 13:09   #62

I scribed the upper flange of the pump to a match-mark on the block. However, I am not sure if that will be useful. From what I have read, this type of injector pump has a "flat" on the drive shaft spline (which mine does) that can only be engaged in one way. I hope that's the case. The only adjustment point on the pump that I could see is the "slotted" hole on one corner of the pump. Unfortunately when I pulled that bolt, that slotted corner of the pump flange was snapped off. I suspect whoever installed the pump, may have overtorqued that bolt. Or more likely, it happened from years of use. As I mentioned, I have been told by a perkins mechanic that with this particular pump, it can only go back one way, and as long as I don't turn over the engine, it can only go in one way. I hope the hell that's the case. What an adventure!
sapadeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 13:24   #63

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The splined shaft only goes in one way, but the timing is done by rotating the pump body--your scribe marks should keep you out of trouble. I got the cap nut out by getting a long drillbit extension at the hardware store--it had a hex shape on one end to fit a drill chuck, and I ground down the hex end to fit inside the capscrew and used vice-grips on a flat I ground on the other end. Gotta love the guy who designed that one, but my tool kept me from having to remove the exhaust/heat exchanger.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 14:16   #64

I'm glad you marked it. Should be good.

I had a 4-107 in my last boat and even though I abused it she just kept on taking me where I needed to go. I do remember loosening or removing a screw on the pump one time and got air into the system. That's when I really learned about bleeding the fuel system. That was many years ago and I've never forgotten the importance of a solid fuel system.

kind regards,
Old 09-09-2012, 14:18   #65

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapadeni View Post
SVHYlyte,

Thanks for the post. Have you had any personal experience with Southeast Power? I was going to use them as I would really like to have it down locally, but to be honest, their reviews online were less-than-stellar. I was considering Everglades Diesel out of Ft. Lauderdale (who a close friend and mechanic deals with regularly), or Williams Diesel of Ocala. But like I said, if I can get it done locally I'd rather.

The Company rebuilt our Pump as it did a friend of mine's who referred me to them to begin with. Unfortunately, our friend did not but we had some difficulty with ours due to some debris that evidently got into the fuel feed line before it was reconnected. I removed the pump for a second time, took it back, and was actualy taken into the workshop to observe the testing process. The pump failed and was immediately disassembled in front of me and the foreign material detected and removed. There was no charge for the second service although it took several hours and involved both the technician and the head of the shop who supervised and explained each step of the process to me in the event. I would not have any qualms about dealing with the Company again and I know several others in our Club that have also relied on the SE Power withut difficulty. Note, however, that a rebuild is not inexpensive and if you're going to have it done, I suggest you also take your high pressure lines in at the same time for examination and testing, if necessary. Rust on the lines is a warning indicator.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 16:47   #66
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI

There is a lot of good info on this thread. Thanks to all of you for your time.
My friend and I rebuilt and sold two Perkins 4.107's, five 4.108's this year 2012. We have three 4.108's under construction and one 4.154. Between the two of us old folks, we have over 100 years experience repairing diesel engines. Yes, we are OLD, but good. If we would put it in our boat and head across the GOM, we will sell it.

If we can help anyone, send a message.

Tom & Johnny,, Pensacola, FL
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 17:19   #67

Boat: Cal 48 Wainui

My 4-108 was smoking and leaving a sheen in the water of unburnt fuel. after checking injectors and injector pump it turned out to be a broken push rod and stuck valve. It was running on all 4 cylinders fairly well. unfortunately there is a lot of metal filings covering the rocker assembly. i have about 100 hour after a complete rebuild so it is disapointing news. I may change to a Yanmar 56hp but keep the Borg Warner gearbox to save some money. Just found out that a new Yanmar exchange would cost about $17/$18k!!!. A 4-108 is a little underpowered for a 25,000lb boat but that is a lot of money.
Merry Xmas
Wainui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 12:16   #68

Just thought some of you would want to know about this one. I don't have any connection to it or its owner but thought a CFer could use it.

Perkins 4107 10% FINDERS FEE!!!

kind regards,

Tags
perkins, rebuild