Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2019, 09:19   #1

Boat: 36' Cape Dory
Perkins 4.108 fuel injection line leaking

Hi,

My sailboat has a Perkins 4.108. I recently had the fuel injection pump rebuilt. The marina mechanic took the pump off and put it back on.

We tried bleeding the engine and noticed a leak at one of the injection pump outlets (where the injection pump connects to the copper injection line that leads to the injector on the engine). It's leaking through the brass threaded fitting.

We took the leaking injection line off to check it out, put it back on tight and still leaking.

So...

Is there supposed to be a compression fitting or olive in there? I'm wondering if when they put it back together if they forgot a part?

Is there some way to test the injection pump and line to see which one is the problem?

Are there replacement parts for the injection line?

Thank you!!
vonchris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:41   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Perkins 4.108 fuel injection line leaking

The HP lines can be difficult to find but still possible. TAD sells a temp flex line (which is a good backup to have on board IMO) that can be used in the meantime. Chances are someone over tightened the fitting and its cracked. They are flared fittings and have no olives
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:47   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
The HP lines can be difficult to find but still possible. TAD sells a temp flex line (which is a good backup to have on board IMO) that can be used in the meantime. Chances are someone over tightened the fitting and its cracked. They are flared fittings and have no olives
Thanks rbk.

I'm not familiar with "TAD" - can you provide a link or website address?
Old 10-07-2019, 10:11   #4

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

This is what my first Google search turned up:

TAD for Perkins Fuel Injection Parts, Perkins Fuel Injectors Parts, Perkins Diesel Fuel Injectors, Perkins Marine Diesel Parts
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:40   #5
rbk

What sailormed said. Youíll have to email or call to see if they have the HP hard lines available as they are each different and specific to each cylinder (in shape only)
Old 11-07-2019, 08:58   #6

Boat: Fairchild Scout 30 Motor Sailer

This firm in England carries essentially all 4108 parts including the injector lines. I have ordered from them and have been quite pleased. Excellent customer service and shipping is most reasonable and fast to the US.

https://www.parts4engines.com
Eisemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:48   #7

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Yep, over tightened the nut, and cracked it, only cure is to replace it, if it wasn't leaking before, then the mechanic screwed up, and should stand good for it, also, he should have tested the system, after installing the rebuilt pump, if he was honest, he would have noticed the leak and delt with it, but , didn't want to pay for the part, so didn't do an honest job, i would ask him why he didn't catch the leak, there is no excuse for this situation, i'm sure he will come up with some excuse, but it will be B.S., and he knows it, he needs to OWN UP TO IT. don't let him get away with it, as it will impact sone one else down the line.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:25   #8
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisemann View Post
This firm in England carries essentially all 4108 parts including the injector lines. I have ordered from them and have been quite pleased. Excellent customer service and shipping is most reasonable and fast to the US.

https://www.parts4engines.com
Iíll second parts4engines but I havenít seen them carry the HP lines in a couple of years. TAD has some available time to time but you may be waiting.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:19   #9

I figured it out. I was overtightening the fitting. So I hand tightened it and then just a wee bit more with a wrench. No more leak!

Tags
fuel, perkins