Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2017, 16:25   #1

Perkins 4-108 Dipstick Tube Replacement FYI

Hi Folks,
I purchased a CT42 Mermaid about this time last year and sailed her home in May. There have been a few issues, quite a few actually, one of which is the Dipstick Tube was broken off about an inch or 2 above the oil pan or sump entrance. I used the 'net to search for a new one but to no avail. Here's why,
The tube is attached to the sump with a compression fitting and nut and it is a standard 3/8"(od) tube. I used a properly sized brake line, to replace the broken piece. The brake line is appropriate as it is flexible to fit whatever contortions are necessary to fit the allocated space. I also purchased a 3/8" brass compression ring which I had to pre-compress before sliding it into position on the tube. So I pre-compressed it just enough to make it snug but still able to slide along the tube with a bit of friction. This is because the distance from the bottom end of the tube and the centre of the C-Ring needed to be the same as the previous tube (4") and the length of the tube needed to match the old (about 22" but I did not measure I just matched) as well in order for the dipstick to be positioned to give the same oil depth reading. You must place the old compression nut onto the tube above the sleeve before bending the tube to fit as it won't make it around the bends (even slight ones) afterwards. It would be best to drain the oil while the tube and nut are off as the opening will allow for a larger drain tube, plus you can put the exact quantity of fresh oil required and that will confirm the dipstick is at the correct level. That's about it but I did have to loosen the starter to access the compression nut and it made it easier to install the new tube as well. If you need more info feel free to drop me a note. Cheers to all.
Brnstrmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:28   #2

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38
Thumbs up Re: Perkins 4-108 Dipstick Tube Replacement FYI

Neat. Sounds like something I would have tried. It all goes to show that where there's a will there's a way!
Old 10-11-2017, 06:28   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Perkins 4-108 Dipstick Tube Replacement FYI

i know my 4 108 has 3 sites for dipstick, and easily replaced and relocated. i have changed mine 2 times now, but have not experienced it breaking of f ... yet
fair winds and smooth sailing
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, perkins