Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2020, 18:12   #1

Boat: Pearson 365
Perkins 4-108 Bell Housing -Do I need to align?

Hi all,
I am at the end of a rebuild on my Perkins/Westerbeke 40. Last step before ignition and running on the test bench is installing the bell housing and damper plate. The Westerbeke manual admonishes me to align the bell housing to insure it is centered on the crank rotation. The bell housing has a straight dowel pin installedinto the backplate on one side only- so there is some range of movement for adjusting alignment-but I am having a devil of a time getting my dial indicator to fit into the tight confines to take readings.
The engine is attached to a velvet drive transmission in a v-drive configuration.
Am I overnoodling this? Should I figure out how to measure for centerednessget offset dowel pins or just bolt the sucker on? I never run as high as 3000 RPMs with the wheel I turn...
Jim
jpendoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 18:24   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Perkins 4-108 Bell Housing -Do I need to align?

Better to check it now than chew through damper plates later. Chances are it’s fine but...
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 15:55   #3

It lined up, but the damper plate is pretty worn, sigh... For what it worth dialing in the bell housing is a pain in the neck. After two days of wiggling I got it within .006 of concentric-maybe that means the next damper palte will last...forever.
Old 04-05-2020, 16:43   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

I thought there were 2 dowl pins? Sometimes one will get pushed flush while installing the adapter plate. I think the lack of a pilot bushing in the crankshaft is a bigger problem, the trans input shaft has quite a bit of play.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 17:13   #5

I saw the hole for the second pilot bushing-but the pin is missing. I found using the one pilot pin and the two 1/4" aft bolts on the block side of the bell housing put it within spec. No fun trying to zero it out with a dial gauge-very tight fit for the gauge.

Tags
perkins