Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2021, 00:54   #16

Boat: 1912 Huon Pine Timber Boat
Re: Perkins 4.107 Grinds when shifting to fwd or rvs.

The gearbox according to the manual is a Thames 12000.

Almost everything that I have read alludes to a crucial requirement that the correct oil pressure exists, otherwise the gears simply won't engage.

I have removed the leaking plastic/nylon tube that connects transmission to the Pressure Gauge, as I noticed a leak there (about a drop per 1-2 seconds).

Apparently AutoBahn carries an Oil Pressure Kit (either nylon or copper) for under AUD20, it'll be a good opportunity to replace the main oil pressure setup as well. A cheap Gauge for AUD35 might just add a bit of spice to the weathered panel.

Once I replace this, hopefully I will have an accurate reading and have additional information.

Thanks for the contact suggestion, is Wichard Marine the same as Wichard Pacific?
Kokonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 01:46   #17

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokonut View Post
The gearbox according to the manual is a Thames 12000.

Almost everything that I have read alludes to a crucial requirement that the correct oil pressure exists, otherwise the gears simply won't engage.

I have removed the leaking plastic/nylon tube that connects transmission to the Pressure Gauge, as I noticed a leak there (about a drop per 1-2 seconds).

Apparently AutoBahn carries an Oil Pressure Kit (either nylon or copper) for under AUD20, it'll be a good opportunity to replace the main oil pressure setup as well. A cheap Gauge for AUD35 might just add a bit of spice to the weathered panel.

Once I replace this, hopefully I will have an accurate reading and have additional information.

Thanks for the contact suggestion, is Wichard Marine the same as Wichard Pacific?

No, John is an engine mariniser and repairer that has his workshop at the rear of north sails, I think the suburb is Newport. He advertises in the afloat magazine.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 05:19   #18

Boat: 1912 Huon Pine Timber Boat

Hi, judging from the appearance and thumbing through the workshop manual, it looks to be a Thames 12000 Gearbox.

You alluded to the gearbox being a relatively easy exercise to replace the plate? I will need to research that one.

An update: I replaced the nylon tube and oil pressure gauge, as the tube had a small leak and the gauge was not working. I decided on a copper tubing as it was just under AUD15.

I was happy to see that the small leak is now absent, BUT the oil pressure gauge needle moves 360 degrees from zero to 'past' 80kgs PSI (or past 5.6cm).

I can't figure out whether this reading is even possible, whether my installation was dodgey, or if the new gauge is faulty? I'm tempted to purchase a cheap Oil Pressure Tester Gauge so I can test it the pressure.

Is anyone aware of any traps for young players when installing these copper tubings and fixing it onto the Gauge unit?

Many thanks, as usual.
Kokonut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins