Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2015, 19:30   #1

Boat: Tayana 55'
Perkins 135 shutdown issue

Hi guys,

I have a Perkins 135 Ranger 4 that will not shut down. Tried all the obvious things, pulling the manual shutoff at the injector pump, even had the injector pump rebuilt. Reinstalled everything, engine runs fine...but have the same problem. It will not shut down without air starvation.

Any ideas?
Terry
sorasora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 23:53   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Perkins 135 shutdown issue

Welcome aboard Terry, sorry to hear that your first post is one of engine problems .

While I can't help directly, is the engine shut down normally electric or manual?
This is a good starting point for further remote diagnostic help.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 00:50   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

If the manual shutoff doesn't stop the engine then either the shutoff is not stopping all fuel (see the rebuilder) or it's drawing oil past the rings or the valve guides. Sucking engine oil usually happens in worn engines. It's a dangerous condition because the engine could run away until it explodes.
The engine can't run on air alone. It has to have fuel of some kind. The most likely problem is the manual shutoff not working. I don't know your injector pump, but it may have a single shutoff valve that is controlled either by an electric solenoid or the manual lever. I'd start there.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 02:26   #4

Have you tried the STOP lever manually with either the solenoid or cable disconnected ?
If it is running on its own lube oil a massive amount of smoke would be produced.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 03:54   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Terry.

The Perkins M135 Marine diesel engine comes standard with an Electric Stop Solenoid.

If pressing the engine stop button does not stop the engine, your fuel solenoid may be frozen open, or the stop circuit may be faulty.

1. Check the fuel solenoid. If the piston plunger valve rack is extended, the solenoid is open and providing fuel. This is the “normal” un-energised position (energise to stop).
2. Jumper the solenoid terminal (S42, Grey /w Yellow stripe) to ground. The piston should retract, closing off fuel. Ensure that the piston (plunger rack) re-extends to the run position.
If not, tap gently to free it loose to close.
If not, replace solenoid.

It is very important to ensure that the piston is fully bottomed when final linkage is connected. If the solenoid is restricted from bottoming out in the retract/energized mode then it will burn out in approximately 30 seconds. Insufficient current will also result in failure.

TEST PROCEDURE TO DETERMINE PLUNGER HAS BOTTOMED:
On units with an auxiliary third terminal, connect a voltmeter or appropriate light (voltage rating) between auxiliary and "+" terminals. When the solenoid is energized and the piston bottoms (retracts), the voltmeter will indicate the battery voltage or the light is energized.

VISUAL METHOD:
Push the piston to the full bottomed (retracted) position and measure the plunger extension length from the solenoid body before the linkage is connected. Connect linkage and energize the solenoid. If the piston has fully bottomed, the piston extension lengths should be the same.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 06:47   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

I should have noted, that the wire numbers/colours given in my previous post, were specific to a particular boat. I don’t have a scanner, so will try to get my grandson to upload my paper diagram, for reference.

See also Westerbeke’s Technical Service Bulletins, which will also apply to Perkins (more or less).

https://www.westerbeke.com/service%2...tin/sb_127.pdf

https://www.westerbeke.com/service%2...tin/sb_175.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 09:39   #7

Are you sure you do not have a manual fuel cut off? Obviously fuel is getting to the engine so it could be a variety of issues; however, with a manual cut out the engine will stop(assuming the cut out works).We had an inline fuel valve installed between the fuel pump and injectors, for each injector. The other way is to decompress every cylinder.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 10:06   #8

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Terry.

The Perkins M135 Marine diesel engine comes standard with an Electric Stop Solenoid.

If pressing the engine stop button does not stop the engine, your fuel solenoid may be frozen open, or the stop circuit may be faulty.

1. Check the fuel solenoid. If the piston plunger valve rack is extended, the solenoid is open and providing fuel. This is the “normal” un-energised position (energise to stop).
2. Jumper the solenoid terminal (S42, Grey /w Yellow stripe) to ground. The piston should retract, closing off fuel. Ensure that the piston (plunger rack) re-extends to the run position.
If not, tap gently to free it loose to close.
If not, replace solenoid.

It is very important to ensure that the piston is fully bottomed when final linkage is connected. If the solenoid is restricted from bottoming out in the retract/energized mode then it will burn out in approximately 30 seconds. Insufficient current will also result in failure.

TEST PROCEDURE TO DETERMINE PLUNGER HAS BOTTOMED:
On units with an auxiliary third terminal, connect a voltmeter or appropriate light (voltage rating) between auxiliary and "+" terminals. When the solenoid is energized and the piston bottoms (retracts), the voltmeter will indicate the battery voltage or the light is energized.

VISUAL METHOD:
Push the piston to the full bottomed (retracted) position and measure the plunger extension length from the solenoid body before the linkage is connected. Connect linkage and energize the solenoid. If the piston has fully bottomed, the piston extension lengths should be the same.
Where did you get this Gord? I have an M135 Perkins and this is definitely not the same as mine. There is only 1 + terminal and no external moving parts!! There is an external manual shutdown painted red which is not connected to any linkage and requires access to the engine compartment.

By the way for the OP, new injector pumps are available for the M135 from Perkins in the UK as I just installed one. Generally it is never worth rebuilding an injector pump from my experience of 30 years in the Railway construction business.

Sorry gord, just saw the Ranger in the original post. Different build configuration.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 10:51   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorasora View Post
Hi guys,

I have a Perkins 135 Ranger 4 that will not shut down. Tried all the obvious things, pulling the manual shutoff at the injector pump, even had the injector pump rebuilt. Reinstalled everything, engine runs fine...but have the same problem. It will not shut down without air starvation.

Any ideas?
Terry
I'm afraid you are running on sump oil. I feel sure some others will go into valve guides and piston rings. Best of luck.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 12:53   #10
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I'm afraid you are running on sump oil. I feel sure some others will go into valve guides and piston rings. Best of luck.
If it is, there should be plenty of smoke (as Shakey Doug points out) plus a lowering of the oil level in the sump. Both easy to confirm
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 13:40   #11

Boat: Seafarer36c

How about a leaking fuel pump diaphragm? The engine breather system pumps the crankcase fumes into the intake. A little extra diesel vapor might keep it going a little longer than it should on shutdown. It would not be that surprising if your oil consumption matched a leaking fuel pump output. You might not see any change in oil level.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 14:11   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
If it is, there should be plenty of smoke (as Shakey Doug points out) plus a lowering of the oil level in the sump. Both easy to confirm
Yep! I was just pointing out something to look for. I hope it's wrong.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 17:11   #13

Boat: Morgan 512 51'

OK, I also have a Perkins based "RANGE 4 -135" and they do not come standard with a sol. (elect) shut down.
The manual shut down is on the back side of the Injector pump and can be operated easily if diconnected from the "pull to stop" cable.
If the engine were drawing from the crankcase it would be smoking and shaking like mad , AND is likely not to want to idle at all.
Best guess is a problem with the Inj. pump rebuild leaving the worn down shut-off stem in place.
If you have another way to shut off the fuel flow and THAT does stop the engine that will proof the issue to be the punp
captain mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 18:06   #14

Boat: Pearson Wanderer 30

If it runs fine, I very much doubt it's running on oil. More likely the fuel is not being shut off. Probably worth chasing that first.

Tags
perkins