Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2022, 19:14   #1

Pathfinder Oil/ transmission dipstick

I feel completely ridiculous asking this but I have searched all around the VW pathfinder engine on my Sceptre 36 and I cannot find the dipsticks for the engine oil or transmission fluid. Anyone have experience with these engines and know where I might begin to look? The engine is still onboard, and I can access all sides through the lazarret and aft berth.
Arialange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 20:22   #2

Re: Pathfinder Oil/ transmission dipstick

Assuming you have the 4 cylinder 1.5 or 1.6 litre engine, then the oil dipstick is on the starboard side of the engine when looking at it from the front end. The dipstick is located about mid block low down directly behind the fresh water pump and in front of the oil filter. Happy hunting!
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 21:07   #3

Just noticed you are also looking for the transmission dipstick. Assuming you have a Hurth 10 (now ZF I think) then there is no dipstick. But if you look at the transmission case you will see that it is basically rectangular in shape. On the starboard side of the top face of the rectangle you will see a bolt head. IIRC, it's about 17mm. Unscrew this and it should have a about a 2" long pipe attached. This is the "dipstick". You will see there is a line scored around the pipe. This is the fill mark. Place the pipe in the hole with the bolt head resting over the hole, but DO NOT screw the bolt in. Pull it out and check the level against the scored line. This is also the fill hole. Use a funnel. Use ATF, and do not overfill. Directly beneath this fill bolt is an identical bolt head. This is the drain plug. My advice is not to touch this bolt if it isn't leaking and instead pump the old ATF out through the fill tube. Once the drain plug starts leaking, it can be very difficult to stop so let sleeping dogs lie if it's not leaking now. Hope this helps.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:55   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Arialange.

Looks like osprey has answered both your questions.

Workshop Manual VW [5 cyl] Marine Boat Engine
Checkoilpressure⇒page17-22
https://www.sv-zanshin.com/r/manuals...-5workshop.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, transmission