Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2010, 18:27   #1

Boat: Owens Cutter
Parts for Westerbeke Diesels (Especially 35D)

Does anyone know of a good source for Westerbeke Diesel parts? The list on them is very high. In particular, I'm looking for a coolant water pump part number 45231 which lists for about $480. Since the block is made by Mitsubishi, there may be other brand pumps that fit. I heard a rumor that a Kubota pump will work, but I couldn't get a part number.
Mark Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 19:02   #2

Boat: CS 36 Traditional
Hi Mark,

Is it the sea water pump or the closed system coolant pump? In any event, if you have a bit of a mechanical inclination you can probably repair the one you have very inexpensively. I'll tell you my experience.

I have a Westerbeke 46 and the sea/raw water pump (this engine has a heat exchanger) started leaking water. I took it off and took it apart and noticed the seal that prevents the water from entering the oil part of the engine on the pump shaft was completely rusted out. I ordered the seal from the Westerbeke representative here in Ontario and paid $30.00 for it. Once I had the seal I also decided to replace the two bearings on the pump shaft and went to the local bearing dealer and ordered the two bearings. The part number on the old bearings was the same as the new ones and the specs were identical. I paid $6.00 for each bearing. I also asked the guy if they sold seals and lo and behold he said yes. I showed him my new seal and he took the name of the seal manufacturer (national) and the part number and to my surprise they were $4.00 each, so I bought two more. I ended up rebuilding the pump for $18.00 plus taxes (not including the rubber impeller). I don't want to even think of the cost of the bearings should I have bought them at the Westerbeke dealer.

Jorge
P.S. I now have a $ 30.00 spare seal.
Gaucho Marino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 05:45   #3

Boat: Owens Cutter
Parts for Westerbeke Diesels

Thanks Gaucho. It's the coolant pump and it is only weeping a bit, so I might give your solution a try.
Mark Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 07:29   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Westerbeke Parts Manual (20B2 & 30B3)
http://dev01.computercompany.net/wes...Parts_List.pdf

Distributer
Engines 1
3504 Shipwright St.
Portsmouth VA 23703
Phone: (800) 548-6252