Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2020, 15:15   #1

Overfilled MD2B caused oil leak

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, but I hope this community might be able to give me some useful tips along my journey to the crusing life.

During the delivery of our new (but old) cruising yacht, we noticed the oil level of included Volvo Penta MD2B was a little low, so we decided to fill her up. When we checked the dipstick again we saw we were just a little over the top marking, but as we had no way of getting it out en route and not knowing that much about engines, we decided there were worse problems than a little to much oil...

When we continued along our journey home, at one point the engine wouldn't start, but I could hear the belt from the starter engine slipping, so I check the engine compartment and it was almost completely covered in oil. I quickly cleaned the belt and started the engine again, as we were entering the final leg of our route which is a high shipping traffic area. We got to our home port safe and sound, but upon further inspection today, we had to clean out almost 3L of oil out of the bilge, and the dipstick showed literally no oil remaining, so I assume everything has leaked out somehow.

I poured in a little oil today to check tomorrow wether it has leaked while not running, and if that turns out to be the case I was hoping to get some tips on which parts to check, since they would be the first to fail when oil pressure is too high as a result of overfilling.

I've read in the service manual that there should be a valve in on of the engine components which protects against high oil pressure by letting out excess oil, but it seems to me that should have only let the excess oil out, instead of dumping everything.

Any suggestions are welcome, and if you think we just ruined our engine, please be gentle.
EZ Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 16:01   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Overfilled MD2B caused oil leak

Not trying to be nasty, but there is so much incorrect about your post that you need to hire a mechanic, I don’t even really know where to start, but you have a lot of misunderstanding, a mechanic on site may clear up a lot of that
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 16:15   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I’ll second the previous poster....watch the mechanic and ask questions.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 16:15   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Not trying to be nasty, but there is so much incorrect about your post that you need to hire a mechanic, I don’t even really know where to start, but you have a lot of misunderstanding, a mechanic on site may clear up a lot of that

Yeah, engines are not really my strong point, that's for sure. I know it might be a lot to ask, but could you please sum up (bullet points maybe) all the wrong assumptions I'm making.

Having a mechanic look at it and explain everything will defenitely help, but it would be nice to also have a basic understanding of what he's saying. I'm not asking you to explain everything down to the nitty gritty, just some pointers on where to get started would be great!
Old 07-11-2020, 16:30   #5

Boat: Norseman 447

One of the tremendous advantages of hiring an expert should be having him explain things to you. It’s one of the easier ways to learn from someone else's experience. Whatever you pay someone who really knows what they’re doing and can explain it to you can be a cheap education.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 16:39   #6

Okay, I will definitely do that. Before that, I need to move the boat on monday because we are now in a temporary slip, so it won't be realistic to get a mechanic to come by before that.

Is it possible to refill the oil and motor the few 100 metres to our permanent slip without further damaging the motor, or is there no way of knowing that based on the information I just gave you?
Old 07-11-2020, 17:24   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ Breezy View Post
Okay, I will definitely do that. Before that, I need to move the boat on monday because we are now in a temporary slip, so it won't be realistic to get a mechanic to come by before that.

Is it possible to refill the oil and motor the few 100 metres to our permanent slip without further damaging the motor, or is there no way of knowing that based on the information I just gave you?

I cannot be sure without examining your engine. It depends on the rate of leakage but I'd guess you wont do any further damage refilling it & going a few 100 metres. If it has an oil pressure alarm ( I dont know volvos) you must stop the engine immediately that sounds & refill it.
First thing to establish is where the leak is coming from & take pictures & then post them to get further advice. Wipe down the motor with paper towels if the oil is everwhere & then look whilst it's just sitting for a start. Harder to see clean oil but sounds like a big leak.

If you have a tender with an outboard it would be better to side tie it & use it to move your vessel if the conditions are calm.
E.g. we have driven our 2.5 tonne approx boat with a 2hp outboard on a 2.6 metre inflatable for 3 miles in calm weather when the main engine died.
Also shifted a 60 ton 65ft steelie with an inflatable & a 9.9hp motor a short distance.

It would be much better to do it that way than fill your engine room with oil again. What a PITA that is to clean up not to mention possible further engine damage. I dont know if you are aware but Volvo parts are horrendously expensive so you dont want to lunch your engine.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 17:55   #8

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

When the starter was slipping, it was probably oil in the overrunning clutch on
the starter drive.
The starter on thesr motors runs backwards, so if you need to fix it, take it to an old time auto electric shop, or be prepared for a royal reaming by Volvo.
EBAY may be your friend.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 18:15   #9
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Tell the marina you can't move the boat until your mechanic looks at the engine?
Old 07-11-2020, 19:04   #10

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

There’s nothing Ezy Breezy about over filling oil on a diesel. It’s very lucky the engine didn’t run away. The extra oil, as a result of the higher oil pressure, can result in the oil getting past the rings and being burnt with the diesel fuel and air. The engine runs(revs) faster and faster and faster until it dramatically siezes (sometimes causing a fire). There’s really nothing you can do except run away yourself.

An alternative that might cause a similar outcome is water getting in to the engine oil, the oil will turn a light grey, even whitish colour. But the oil pressure goes up, and again, in an older style marine diesel might cause oil to get past the rings in to the combustion chamber.

Alternatively the oil being spilled in the small, tight engine bay might also start to be ingested through the air intake and become a source of extra fuel and cause a run away.

People suggest putting rags in the air intake, but if you’ve ever been standing close to an engine as it’s running away you’ll appreciate the fear that surges through your body. Run away, run away!

As someone mentioned, if every you hear a strange engine sound, have a gauge that tells bad news, an alarm or whatever, turn the engine off asap.

Here’s a couple of videos, Sorry I tried very hard to find a small marine diesel running away, but no joy.

Old 07-11-2020, 20:59   #11

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Just because oil doesn't show on the dipstick doesn't mean there is no oil. But find the drain plug and ensure it didn't vibrate out.

When you put too much oil in an engine, it can create higher crankcase pressures. Those pressures can force out oil. Somewhere on the engine should be a crankcase breather, usually low on the block, and may be nothing more than a tube pointing down. That's usually where excessive oil is forced out of the engine and probably the way it got in the bilge.
Sometimes the pressures will force a crankshaft seal out of place or push out part of the pan gasket. You need to look for the source of the oil. Either from the breather tube or the front or rear of the crank. Since oil was on the belts, I'd look closely around the front crank pulley.

If it was my engine, I'd put in the correct amount of oil, and start it. Look for oil leaks. If they're not excessive, I'd motor to the new slip. Then get a mechanic to look at the engine.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:34   #12

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

I agree you might want to seek professional help. From your description it sounds like you have a leak. Overfilling by 1/2L will not cause this. The over pressure valve you refer to dumps the oil back into the engine, not externally.

Get the owners manual. Look for the oil pressure switch or oil monitor to be leaking when the engine is running. This is part #16 below. It's located on the block between the oil filter and the oil dipstick. Make sure your dip stick has a rubber washer under the screw cap part. If you are missing the washer it will leak copiously when running. The faster the motor runs the more it will leak if either the OP switch or the dip stick seal is the source of the leak. There won't be a leak unless the motor is running. So clean everything up, buy some brake and parts cleaner, wash down the engine on the dipstick side and run it (after yu make sure there's oil in it) and see if you can find your oil leak.

If you have to replace the OP switch/ oil monitor switch it's a common automotive part. Any Volvo car from about 1958 to 2002 uses the same switch as do most European cars, switch is a 1/8" NPT switch n.o, .7 bar.

Another item to check would be to make sure the hose out of the oil filler cap is not clogged with anything and that the cap itself is free of junk. This is how the engine vents itself, through the oil cap to the air filter.

If the leak is coming from the big flywheel area you will not be able to resolve this on your own.

Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:52   #13

The valve you were referring to is not to let oil OUT, But to let oil ypass straight into the engines sump so much that the oil pressure does not get over a certain point.Has nothing to do with the amount of oil in the sump.

Big chance that one way or the other the reading on the dipstick went wrong and if so, yes you were lucky it did not run away.
If something like that happens, put the gearbox in reverse and stop the engine or just let it idle.

When you used it while it through the oil around, did it smoke more than usual? A lot more?
That is a sign of running away.
If not, probably far too much oil which can give too high crankcase pressure and can blow any gasket.
Crank case pressure is NOT oilpressure
jakkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:03   #14

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaseas View Post
Overfilling by 1/2L will not cause this.
Yes! A little above max is OK. Much above max is definitely not. Maybe the oil leak is unrelated to the slight overfill.

All good suggestions in the thread. Find out where the leak is, and if necessary get help from a professional.

And another point. This is a really good marine engine, even if old. Spare parts are easy to get and it is an easy engine to work on. But it is not worth putting thousands of dollars into, in case there is a major problem.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:04   #15

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

This discussion may help:
https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?thr...re-md2b.23098/

My friend had the oil pressure sender fail and start leaking on his MD7a so there was no warning. We saw the temp rise a bit and fortunately we went to check and shut the engine down quickly. Did you see a rise in temperature? Check the oil pressure sender. I'm sure a mechanic will.
https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en...-21-13745.aspx

This social group may have something to help too.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...o+engines.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
md2b, oil, oil leak