Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2020, 13:36   #31

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC
Re: Overfilled MD2B caused oil leak

#30 Newhaul. Why get rid of an engine that has the rings sealing so efficiently that you have no need to vent the crankcase?

I stand by my statement that engines have to be vented. If you pull back your tarp and look at the end of the hand crank gear on top of the timing cover, next to the injection pump I bet you will see a breather cap there which is how the engine is vented. It may look like an old style Volvo oil filler cap but it's a breather. It may or not have a pipe out of it.

Yes a picture of the valve cover would also tell you if it's a MD2 or later model. Or a picture of the engine number plate would also work.

If you need to be right, fine you're right. Engines don't have to be vented on your world.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 14:07   #32

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Clean the mess up and fill her to the mark on an even keel. Run her then. I[ll bet it was a case of over filling causing crankcase pressure. Hopefully it didn't blow a seal. New boat to you, I hope you didn't screwed.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 14:56   #33

Well at least I've learned more about engines in the last couple of days than I have in my entire life, so that's already something valuable that came of this.
EZ Breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 15:32   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ Breezy View Post
Well at least I've learned more about engines in the last couple of days than I have in my entire life, so that's already something valuable that came of this.

Good to hear it's probably only your dipstick. My advice, which has been said before, is to get a service/workshop manual or an operation manual for your engine.
As you have already discovered when boating it isn't always easy to find a mechanic. It can be even harder to find a good mechanic. Better to maintain your engine properly following the manufacturers instructions in the manual.
It will save you a lot of grief & $$.
Sounds like a sound engine model.

Lucky for you Scubaseas knows them well.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 18:09   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaseas View Post
#30 Newhaul. Why get rid of an engine that has the rings sealing so efficiently that you have no need to vent the crankcase?

I stand by my statement that engines have to be vented. If you pull back your tarp and look at the end of the hand crank gear on top of the timing cover, next to the injection pump I bet you will see a breather cap there which is how the engine is vented. It may look like an old style Volvo oil filler cap but it's a breather. It may or not have a pipe out of it.

Yes a picture of the valve cover would also tell you if it's a MD2 or later model. Or a picture of the engine number plate would also work.

If you need to be right, fine you're right. Engines don't have to be vented on your world.
Well nope its not vented externally.
Why change well because with the 4 bolt head it has a habit of needing a decade kit about every 500 hours and the md2b adding the extra 2 bolts doubles that interval as well as the b model is an additional 5 hp over the md2.
Also the diagram you posted of the md1 was actually for the md1b so yes it has the breather .

I'm not being an ass here you just need to be specific when dealing with these old volvomd series engines . Parts for an md2 will not most times work on an md2b .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201108_173044.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	432.9 KB
ID:	226641   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201108_173058.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	226642  

Old 08-11-2020, 20:56   #36

#35 Newhaul.

I sincerely and humbly apologize and see now after finally finding a MD2 manual online that it is indeed a closed circuit breather system. Might explain why Volvo who uses engine blocks for like 50 years only made the MD2 for 5 years (1970 to 1975). I also agree there is little in the way of common parts between the early and late MD engines. Actually finding any parts for either early or late is hard these days.

Would still like to see the OPs picture of engine or number plate.

Thanks for your patience with me.
Old 08-11-2020, 22:00   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
#35 Newhaul.

I sincerely and humbly apologize and see now after finally finding a MD2 manual online that it is indeed a closed circuit breather system. Might explain why Volvo who uses engine blocks for like 50 years only made the MD2 for 5 years (1970 to 1975). I also agree there is little in the way of common parts between the early and late MD engines. Actually finding any parts for either early or late is hard these days.

No worries. Know anyone that wants an md2 complete with almost enough parts for 2 rebuilds less than 100 hrs on this engine
Old 08-11-2020, 23:05   #38

Nope but I need some MD2B,C,D inspections covers if you have any kicking around
Old 09-11-2020, 01:57   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
#35 Newhaul.

I congratulate you Scubaseas for owning up to your error.
Been following the thread with interest, all too often contributors get locked into their position & go down in flames.
Better to find the solution for the O.P. at the end of the day.
As we say downunder " good on ya mate" ( buddy in American)

Brings to mind a certain situation in the USA.
Just sayn......
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:19   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Good to hear it's probably only your dipstick. My advice, which has been said before, is to get a service/workshop manual or an operation manual for your engine.
As you have already discovered when boating it isn't always easy to find a mechanic. It can be even harder to find a good mechanic. Better to maintain your engine properly following the manufacturers instructions in the manual.
It will save you a lot of grief & $$.
Sounds like a sound engine model.

Lucky for you Scubaseas knows them well.
It's the old adage, "When all else fails read the manual.".
Old 09-11-2020, 08:41   #41

Compass790 Thanks for the kind words. I have drunk enough Fosters to have some Australian/Kiwian by osmosis.

Cadence. Indeed. Even more so when they have pictures.

Still be nice to have some pictures to see which MD the OP has.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:13   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ Breezy View Post
Yeah, engines are not really my strong point, that's for sure. I know it might be a lot to ask, but could you please sum up (bullet points maybe) all the wrong assumptions I'm making.

Having a mechanic look at it and explain everything will defenitely help, but it would be nice to also have a basic understanding of what he's saying. I'm not asking you to explain everything down to the nitty gritty, just some pointers on where to get started would be great!

Iíll try a few as best as I can remember.
1. slight overfill wonít hurt anything at all, excessive overfill will not increase oil pressure, if anything it will decrease it.
Excessive overfill means the oil level is so high that the crankshaft will be contacting it as it rotates, this will cause the oil to foam, that will greatly increase the volume of course, possibly so much so that the oil foam will exit through the crankcase vent tube, most engines connect that to the intake, so thatís when you can get a run away as the oil is unmetered fuel.

Iím not familiar with your engine, but doubt that the starter is hooked to it through a belt, thatís most likely the alternator.

There is an oil pressure relief valve, but it merely dumps the oil back into the pan and not to the outside of the engine.

But excess oil does not increase pressure, if itís beaten into a foam, there will be a significant loss of oil pressure, nit an increase.

Long and short of all of this is that in my opinion itís exceedingly unlikely that you caused your oil leak, unless you significantly overfilled the oil
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:20   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono as 2234 View Post
Just slightly off topic, but I have always worried about the accuracy of the dip stick. Shaft drive boats have the diesel at an angle, so unless the dip stick is exactly central to the sump, it must be inaccurate???

Most manufacturers take care to position the dipstick in the middle of the pan so that no matter how the engine is angled the oil level on the stick doesnít change.
Within reason of course.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:37   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Most manufacturers take care to position the dipstick in the middle of the pan so that no matter how the engine is angled the oil level on the stick doesnít change.
Within reason of course.
There is also probably a margin of error on the stick markings.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:18   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Iíll try a few as best as I can remember.
1. slight overfill wonít hurt anything at all, excessive overfill will not increase oil pressure, if anything it will decrease it.
Excessive overfill means the oil level is so high that the crankshaft will be contacting it as it rotates, this will cause the oil to foam, that will greatly increase the volume of course, possibly so much so that the oil foam will exit through the crankcase vent tube, most engines connect that to the intake, so thatís when you can get a run away as the oil is unmetered fuel.

Iím not familiar with your engine, but doubt that the starter is hooked to it through a belt, thatís most likely the alternator.

There is an oil pressure relief valve, but it merely dumps the oil back into the pan and not to the outside of the engine.

But excess oil does not increase pressure, if itís beaten into a foam, there will be a significant loss of oil pressure, nit an increase.

Long and short of all of this is that in my opinion itís exceedingly unlikely that you caused your oil leak, unless you significantly overfilled the oil

The early MD engines were closed breather systems, no engine vent. Yeah hard to believe but apparently true. Stupid? You bet.

Another Volvo gem was the "Dynastart" or whatever it's called. It's a generator that they also used as a starter by energizing the field. Same way you can test a generator by seeing if it runs as a motor. There I just dated myself. Stupid? You bet.

Spot on for the rest of your comments.

Tags
md2b, oil, oil leak