Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2011, 07:28   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Outboard Problems

I am on a short cruise and am having problems with my outboard. When I started it up after sitting for 6 months it smoked for a few seconds and then cleared up and ran fine. The fuel is 6 months old. After running for an hour it now dies when I go above half throttle. I can get it to rev higher if I pull the choke out. Can anyone offer any suggestions on what to check for problems? It is a Mercury 4 stroke 2005.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 07:30   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Outboard Problems

Try fresh fuel... sounds like to much air for the old fuel

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 17:14   #3

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Outboard Problems

Was the fuel in use ehtanol free? If not it probably has started phase seperation and as such moisture is present and causing issues with the main jet or other issues.
Suggest emptying gas and new fresh fuel with some additive to help remove moisture, draining bowl will help. If not sounds like something gummed up the carb somehow may need removal and cleaning. Ethanol fuels are only good for around 3-3-4 months before they start seperating and having issues.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 17:23   #4

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

Don't waste time trying to diagnose a problem until you have fresh gas. If you have ever read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, you understand my approach to fixing engines: unexplainable.

Basically, you need fresh gas, air, and something to start a fire.

So buy some new gas, drain the carb bowl, drain the fuel line, and start a big bonfire. The next morning, close the carb drain screw, prime the carb and fuel line with new fuel, and turn her over. She should run fine now!

If you keep fresh fuel, oil, lower unit lube, zincs, plugs, paint, and a coat of fluid film on your outboard, it should last near forever.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 18:29   #5

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

I vote with the crowd on fuel too.

Please let us know.

If not, stall it with squirted in "Sea Foam", let it sit overnight (or an hour if impatient sort), restart.

Don't be alarmed at the amount of smoke the SeaFoam makes. Run it up and stall it with it wide open.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 18:36   #6

Ethanol is suspected. In many states you can buy pure gas without the corn. It is nothing but a problem in outboards. No easy fix.
Old 22-02-2011, 19:12   #7
ATC
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18' Banno USA Old World

My money is betting it is bad fuel...

"Suckin Sludge & Havin a Gas"
ATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 22:42   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Six month old gas, these days, is worse than six year old gas would have been back when we were kids. It just isn't going to run an outboard.
Old 23-02-2011, 07:54   #9

Boat: Sceptre 41

I agree with everyone on the new gas the problem is that I can't get rid of the old gas. I'm in Kalifornia and the cost for getting rid of it is outrageous. I can't burn it on the beach b/c fires aren't allowed i guess I could get rid of bits at a time anyway here is what happened. I took the dink to buy some fuel stabilizer On the way it started fine and ran fine at full throttle. Stabilizer was expensive so I bought some gas treatment and added a bunch into the tank and it continues to run fine.

Tager what is fluid film?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 08:24   #10

Boat: Allures 44

Quote:
The fuel is 6 months old. After running for an hour it now dies when I go above half throttle.
Charlie,

If fresh fuel and fuel additive fail to solve the problem you should remove the carb, disassemble, and soak it in heavy duty carb cleaner. Scrape off any visible deposits, and blow it out with compressed air. Reassemble. It should run great.

As a preventative, we use Stabil Marine Formula preservative with Ethanol treatment in every tank.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 14:43   #11

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I agree with everyone on the new gas the problem is that I can't get rid of the old gas. I'm in Kalifornia and the cost for getting rid of it is outrageous. I can't burn it on the beach b/c fires aren't allowed i guess I could get rid of bits at a time anyway here is what happened. I took the dink to buy some fuel stabilizer On the way it started fine and ran fine at full throttle. Stabilizer was expensive so I bought some gas treatment and added a bunch into the tank and it continues to run fine.

?
Good to hear it is running.

We have cars and old gas in the dink can is only a few gallons. I add it to the car tanks and burn it up with all my work driving.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 17:05   #12

You can put the gas in your car the small volume will not be an issue we do that every three months. Even if we have some 2 stroke ready mix.

Never been a problem. if the carb is gunk dip it in engine tuner work like a charm

Good luck
SvLetitgo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard