Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2021, 13:55   #46
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Options for adding gauges to Yanmar 3GM30F

Quote:
Originally Posted by eroc View Post
can't dispute the advantage of a separate gauge for water temp, which I added , but finding a mounting place easily visible from the helm was not handy on the sailboat. Depending on the vintage of the 3GM, it may have an extra un-used idiot light if it is a shaft drive. That would be the water intrusion sensor for the saildrive . I added a flow sensor on the raw water intake ( sorry can't recall the make- the boat is 600 miles away) which activates the panel alarm when the intake flow is restricted. This alarm is adjustable and I have it tweaked so it just twitters ever so slightly when the engine is at idle. A reliable check on the system being operational..............
Excellent feature - I like it a lot .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 15:00   #47

Boat: Searunner 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripmiata View Post
I just added an Album called "Mosteller Analog Gauges for Yanmar 2Gm20F diesel engines". It has directions from Roy Mosteller from 2000.
Pray tell, where is it? My poor search skills seem to impede me from finding it.
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 15:52   #48

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
Pray tell, where is it? My poor search skills seem to impede me from finding it.
Click on the username, public profile, statistics, albums...
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...02-albums.html
Old 01-01-2021, 16:23   #49

Boat: Cal 29-2

Many good ideas and guidance. On my 2GM20F, I wanted a temperature gauge and created a compact adapter from a brass 3/8 BSP plug which I drilled and tapped for a 1/8 NPT temp sender. This was from Faria as Teleflex in this size are not prevalent. The gauge could be from various US makers using the standard resistive protocol, 240-33 Ohms, 240 is empty tank, zero pressure, minimum Temp. This is used for a variety of marine/industrial instruments like fuel level, temperature, and oil pressure so these meters are actually the same but for the scales installed.
The advice of threading a 3/8 NPT into a Yanmar 3/8 BSP port may work but ill-advised as BSP is slightly finer thread and thread profiles differ too. You may only catch 2 threads poorly and you need electrical connection (to Gnd) while avoiding leakage. The Catalina special thermo sender is good alternative. If the T-stat housing ports are plumbed to a water heater then a tee of some sort is needed but you want the sender bulb in the water flow. I'd put this in the heater feed hose (plus added ground connection). The Yanmar thermo switch can stay put and I agree with others that another dry thermo switch clamped at the mixing elbow is good for early detection of lost cooling water.
I wanted Fuel, Temp, and Ammeter, but shied away from oil pressure. It would be nice but there is some risk installing a sender due to the physical size and weight of these if not threaded directly into the engine port. An adapter or Tee adds mass and length and this extends the moment arm on a shaking diesel so this should best be of steel/iron and kept short. An option is to fit the sender on a high pressure hose assembly, mounted where convenient (with a grounding wire).
Note that VDO made senders/gauges for both Euro (10-180 Ohm) and the USA (240-33 Ohm) protocols but the default was Euro type. A DVM can guide you on a used sender but verifying a used meter type requires a resistor circuit unless a known sender is on hand. Or you pursue the long VDO P/N. With 180 Ohm resistor from Gnd to "S", a Euro meter should read right to full scale while a USA meter will read about 1/4 scale. If the latter then try a 33 Ohm resistor for full scale.
My friend's boat has wacko oil pressure readings which must be attributed to a sender and meter of differing protocol. It is not just the resistance range but also an opposite resistance slope !
https://www.defender.com/search.html...arine&x=35&y=8.
This Veethree site shows a table with the scales and resistance of the senders Intnl vs. USA:
https://www.veethree.com/wp-content/...9/67371_R5.pdf
Dalestr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 18:33   #50
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Boat: C.L.O.D.

IMHO, there is a better alternative to the conventional oil pressure sensors which are rather bulky and weighty.

The solid state pressure sensors like this https://au.banggood.com/5V-1-or-8NPT...iABEgJUSPD_BwE have a lot going for them.

Small and compact (1/8' NPT thread) and can be integrated into a variety of displays.

Yes they do need a 5V DC regulated supply voltage and they output a linear voltage range 0 to 4.5 VDC. But if you can organise a 5VDC supply, the output can be as simple as the 5VDC meter or as as complicated as a A to D convertor etc.

Want a different pressure range, just replace the sensor!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:42   #51

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Do you want gauges because you are curious or because you think that they might tell you more than the "idiot lights" and alarms thereby saving your engine?

Personally, I am only interested in the latter. Who is going to spend their time monitoring the needles?

In which case, the advice I had was that what you need to actually save your engine is not the oil pressure or the engine temperature or some fancy water flow meter but the exit exhaust temperature.

That issue can be solved simply and cheaply with such as a NASA Ex-1 exhaust monitor.

The sensor goes into the rubber near to the exhaust elbow. The instrument tells you the exhaust temperature and has an alarm. The alarm, and what it is reading, is the key to saving your engine. Not some extra gauges as a boy racer might fit to his jalopy.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 13:26   #52

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I don't really know the OP's engine, but my 3jh3ce had unused ports for both coolant temp and oil pressure as well as spare wires for those in the harness. I added both of those. The ports are BSP threads and while US manufacturers use NPT most Japanese manufacturers use BSP for their sending units. I was able to leave my idiot lights active so I didn't have to look at a gauge all the time. One of my tachs was giving me trouble too so I decided that instead of gauges I would get me a programmable NMEA 2000 converter. I can now look at all my critical engine data on my Raymarine chart plotter. You have to calibrate the pressure and temperature gauges. I did find that the oil sensor was too accurate and any one reading could be anywhere from near zero to over 100. The lobes on the oil pump produce pressure pulses, not steady pressure. Gauges movements have enough inertia that they just show the average pressure. I added a couple of capacitors across the leads of the sensor and it stabilized the reading. Things are still working after 5 years. The unit I bought was a Noland RS11, but several other companies now make similar devices. It sure beat drilling a lot of holes and figuring out where to locate and wire a bunch of gauges.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 14:38   #53

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alita49DS View Post
...............That issue can be solved simply and cheaply with such as a NASA Ex-1 exhaust monitor.
The sensor goes into the rubber near to the exhaust elbow. The instrument tells you the exhaust temperature and has an alarm. The alarm, and what it is reading, is the key to saving your engine. Not some extra gauges as a boy racer might fit to his jalopy.
That is what I installed on my Yanmar 3JH4E. I was amazed at the low water temp just after the elbow. At 2500 rpm temp is around 35C. At WOT after 10 minutes it gets up to 48-49C. I set the alarm at 55C. The only issue is that the alarm goes when you start and the engine is still warm. But with the seawater flow the sensor is quickly cooled.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 22:45   #54

The BSP thread is very small and will not support the load of a vibrating T fitting and two sensors. The oil pressure sender tends to be larger than the oil pressure switch. Together they are pretty large and heavy. The best solution is to go from the existing BSP thread in the block into a suitable pressure hose then to a manifold of some sort (depending on budget and availability) which is mounted off the engine. Since you will not have the engine as the signal return you will need the isolated connection version of the sensors. It is hard to match the different thread properly, but it must be done correctly. I have done this project. Mounting and wiring the gauges is just as much fun.

As a side note, I once had an oil pressure switch fail resulting in all of the oil in the bilge. The switch was not fail safe, but gave me just enough alarm time that I knew something was wrong. Without that brief alarm I would likely have destroyed the engine.
Ya Ubetcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 21:45   #55

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ya Ubetcha View Post
The BSP thread is very small and will not support the load of a vibrating T fitting and two sensors. The oil pressure sender tends to be larger than the oil pressure switch. Together they are pretty large and heavy. The best solution is to go from the existing BSP thread in the block into a suitable pressure hose then to a manifold of some sort (depending on budget and availability) which is mounted off the engine. Since you will not have the engine as the signal return you will need the isolated connection version of the sensors. It is hard to match the different thread properly, but it must be done correctly. I have done this project. Mounting and wiring the gauges is just as much fun.

As a side note, I once had an oil pressure switch fail resulting in all of the oil in the bilge. The switch was not fail safe, but gave me just enough alarm time that I knew something was wrong. Without that brief alarm I would likely have destroyed the engine.

On my 3jh3ce the oil pressure port adapter which is original equipment has two mounting points for sending units. The engine was originally delivered with one of these ports equipped with a plug and one with the oil pressure switch for the idiot light. The engine manual shows the optional oil pressure sending unit mounted on the plugged port. Are you suggesting that Yanmar designed a port too weak to support its own engine sensors? Many Yanmar engines were surely delivered with original equipment oil pressure sensors. I have never heard of the mount breaking off, have you? A cursory search of the forum showed lots of oil pressure problems in Yanmars but none about the sender adapter breaking off. The water temperature sending unit mounts to a separate port in the block. There is no tee involved.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3gm, 3gm30, yanmar