Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2016, 16:53   #1

Old volvo thermostat

I've just had a look inside the thermostat housing on my volvo md3b.
Components inside are toast all rusted out. I can get a replacement kit but have to motor across 4km next week for haul out and won't get a chance to replace before then.
Can I operate the engine without the thermostat housing internals?
My thinking is to do the short run then fix it when the bits arrive. I can't put the old parts back in they are a rusted mess.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1474761181385.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	131682  
nzmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 01:18   #2

Re: Old volvo thermostat

Ok I've searched online and it sounds like having no thermostat will make my engine run cold... Which doesn't seen bad for a short run.
Sounds like some posters have removed their thermostats... Not sure about that idea. I have a new one ordered but in the meantime will run it.
I ran the engine at idle for 30 mins and all seemed OK although it predictably didn't come up to temp within that time.
Old 25-09-2016, 14:36   #3

The water flow in the MD3b runs from the sea water pump to a "T" fitting mounted on the underside of the exhaust manifold. This fitting acts to split the water flow into two paths.

First path goes into the lower side of the manifold, then into the heads and cylinders, then back into the upper side of the exhaust manifold and to the thermostat which sits at the front of the manifold. When the thermostat is open the water flows thru the thermostat and into the thermostat housing from the manifold side, then out the top of the housing to the exhaust elbow.

Second path flow continues thru the "T" fitting and then into a hose which runs to the front lower side of the thermostat housing, thru the front of the thermostat housing and then out the top of the housing to the exhaust elbow.

When the engine is cold most all of the flow goes across the "T" fitting, into and out of the thermostat housing and out the exhaust.

As the engine gets hot the thermostat begins to open and allows water flow thru the engine and at the same time the thermostat blocks flow coming from the T fitting. So the thermostat acts as a selector allowing flow either thru the engine or around the engine.

If the thermostat is removed the flow direction will mostly depend on which circuit has the most resistance to flow. If the engine is full of corrosion or mud, most of the flow will go around the engine and it might run hot. If the engine internals are fairly clean there might be enough flow in the engine circuit that the engine doesn't overheat.

Running cool for a few miles won't hurt anything, but it goes without saying that running hot for too long could be detrimental to the engines health.

If you find things heating up, you can apply a small "C" clamp or something similar onto the rubber hose between the T fitting and the thermostat housing below the manifold. This will increase flow resistance on that circuit and force more water thru the engine circuit, resulting in the engine running cooler.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 17:21   #4

Thanks Doug. Very comprehensive response. Thanks for taking the time to write that.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 16-10-2016, 00:49   #5

Update...
Ran the engine fine without thermostat. Replacement ordered through key part and easy installation. Happy ending

Tags
volvo